PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think NFL wide players have been losing more games to injuries and it's just natural to mainly notice the effect on the team you root for.

Yeah that's more than reasonable just saying I think the pats will be fine. As long as they don't have a ton of season ending injuries. As of now isn't it only Dane Fletcher and Edelman?

Edelman FINALLY starts to answer the talent questions that most posters here had, only to find himself labeled with durability questions. The kid can't catch a break. On the positive side, it could help the Pats re-sign him this off season, because his injury can't help his marketability.

This is a bigger loss for the Pats than simply their #4 WR

It isn't "Labeled". The fact is that guy has a repeated history of missing games after very little PT.

That said, I'm an Edelperson fan and find the reaction here ironic after all the trashing he took here earlier this year. But the sad fact is he's shown that he can't stay on the field. Not Mr Durability like some other similar sized player on the 53.

Last edited:
Look at baltimore without Suggs, Webb, and Lewis. Jets without Holmes and Revis. Gronk will be back, Mankins should be back soon, Hern is already back. If losing your punt returner is your worse injury then you aren't hurting too bad. I just think people exaggerate a little too much here. Compared to other years pats are doing pretty well. Anyone remember 05? Now THAT was a bad injury year.

Hernandez
Gronkowski
Mankins
Edelman
Branch
Bolden
Connolly
Vollmer
Shiancoe
Fells
Demps
Vereen

All of the above have missed games due to injury, and more than one of them has missed games, returned and then missed games again. That's just the offensive side of the ball, and that's not counting Gaffney, who was reportedly cut partially due to injury.

Expect to see a huge increase in time for Vereen in catching balls out of the backfield and more screens to offset the lack of receivers.

Also Woodhead should be involved in screens and side passes as well

Its obvious that teams will focus on and try to take away Hernandez and Welker so screens and RBs involved in the passing game can help put points on the board

I join the general fear about Welker returning punts and getting clobbered by somebody running at him hard. On the other hand, the guy does take numerous hits per game already.

Woodhead has never seemed to be in the mix -- I presume it's a matter of catching the punt in the first place.

Has Ebner been tried? A rugby player would seem to be a natural ...

Hernandez
Gronkowski
Mankins
Edelman
Branch
Bolden
Connolly
Vollmer
Shiancoe
Fells
Demps
Vereen

All of the above have missed games due to injury, and more than one of them has missed games, returned and then missed games again. That's just the offensive side of the ball, and that's not counting Gaffney, who was reportedly cut partially due to injury.

The point I'm trying to make is these guys will be back. Except for Demps, Fletcher, and Edelman. As long as they are healthy for the playoffs pats are doing pretty well in my opinion.

I join the general fear about Welker returning punts and getting clobbered by somebody running at him hard. On the other hand, the guy does take numerous hits per game already.

Woodhead has never seemed to be in the mix -- I presume it's a matter of catching the punt in the first place.

Has Ebner been tried? A rugby player would seem to be a natural ...

I wouldn't be shocked if they started using Woodhead some, but IIRC he took quite a beating doing it last year. I'm guessing much like WW they'd prefer to keep as much tread on his tires for his other roles on the team. I'd expect them to primarily use one of the ST guys, Vereen, or Bolden for the regular season with either WW or Woodhead fielding them in critical situations and the POs unless someone else really excels.

The point I'm trying to make is these guys will be back. Except for Demps, Fletcher, and Edelman. As long as they are healthy for the playoffs pats are doing pretty well in my opinion.

There are a few other names on there, but few that have actually contributed much/anything to the Pats, so it's hard to tell what the future plans were. I'm guessing Allen and Dowling left the Pats much thinner at DB than they initially anticipated.

And who is the guy that we should be shopping for on the streets that would be better?

I highly doubt we would sign a guy at this point to be our punt returner only just to small a role for a roster spot. To me its Stallworth, Bolden (if I was right about him doing this in camp and he was successful enough), or Welker am I missing any other options on the team? I think Branch might have taken some turns in camp too but we would need to resign him before thats an option and even if he isnt the returner I think thats a matter of time anyway.

There are a few guys on practice squads that have been pretty good returners

1339188551986.gif

Anyone think we'll activate Ebert??

After weeks of getting almost nothing from the "third" WR spot, it seemed like this year's offense was at its best when Welker and Edelman were both drawing regular snaps, with Lloyd not playing the whole game. Hopefully Stallworth will be more productive than Branch was.

I think this is one of those injuries to a supporting player that's going to have a big impact down the road, like Junior Seau breaking his arm.

But you called it an exaggeration when it's clearly not one, and you're using a barometer that doesn't really make sense. Regular season games count, after all.

My brother just reminded me of an interesting option at PRer Patrick Chung. I recall he was actually pretty good as a PR in preseason his rookie year when he had the ball in his hands. I also recall he might have muffed one or two in that preseason ending his chances. Given that he doesnt have much to do I would consider using him at this role. Clearly he needs to prove he can not muff the punt but again I recall him being pretty good when he did catch it.

Thoughts????

Edelman FINALLY starts to answer the talent questions that most posters here had, only to find himself labeled with durability questions. The kid can't catch a break. On the positive side, it could help the Pats re-sign him this off season, because his injury can't help his marketability.

This is a bigger loss for the Pats than simply their #4 WR

I agree on both fronts, Ken: (1) that Edelman's loss will be big, and (2) that he's being unfairly criticized for a history of repeat injuries.

Edelman has shown himself to be an explosive playmaker on both ST and at WR whenever he has had sustained playing time - the problem is, those periods have been few and far between. But he's been a playmaker for us, in the slot when Welker was out, and as a #3 WR complementing Welker and Lloyd. I thought that using both Welker and Edelman really added a dimension to the offense which it lacked with Dion Branch, who was really limited to a small catching radius. I'm hoping that you're right about Edelman being re-signed, because I think that he should definitely be a part of the WR plans going forward.

I think that Edelman does have a history of being injured. But so do lots of guys. Football is a brutal sport. Gronk was injured (foot) last year, had back problems this year, and is now out with an arm injury - does that make him "made of glass"? Hernandez has missed time each of the 3 seasons that he has been on the team. It's a brutal game, and injuries are a part of it. I don't think Edelman can be singled out. Those injuries just underscore even more the importance of roster depth and versatility, and BB is the best in the business at squeezing every last drop out of his roster.

...I think that Edelman does have a history of being injured. But so do lots of guys. Football is a brutal sport. Gronk was injured (foot) last year, had back problems this year, and is now out with an arm injury - does that make him "made of glass"? Hernandez has missed time each of the 3 seasons that he has been on the team. It's a brutal game, and injuries are a part of it. I don't think Edelman can be singled out. Those injuries just underscore even more the importance of roster depth and versatility, and BB is the best in the business at squeezing every last drop out of his roster.

Games played:

9 (now on IR)

This is a guy who's been a backup and played essentially nothing but special teams for most of those years, not one who's out there playing 3/4 of the snaps. In 4 years, 3 as strictly a backup, he'll have lost more than a full season to injury. I don't see how it's unfair to call him "made of glass", given that reality.

Last edited:
Stallworth can handle punt returns

Since when? Stallworth is a straight speed guy.. He's not a juke and miss type of runner like Edelman.

Welker will be handling the punts.. Or maybe Vereen..

My brother just reminded me of an interesting option at PRer Patrick Chung. I recall he was actually pretty good as a PR in preseason his rookie year when he had the ball in his hands. I also recall he might have muffed one or two in that preseason ending his chances. Given that he doesnt have much to do I would consider using him at this role. Clearly he needs to prove he can not muff the punt but again I recall him being pretty good when he did catch it.

Thoughts????

No.. Just stick Welker back there and fair catch every punt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft