PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer.

He's been a spark plug on ST and great on Offense, but it's his return of that fumble for a TD during the three-TD's-in-52-Seconds mayhem in the Thanksgiving game that will forever earn him a place in the all-time Patriots' Highlight reel.

I hope his recovery goes real well and look forward to seeing him back in the lineup next season to help the Pats win their second set of back-to-back SB's!

Last edited:
Gaffney's suspension was just lifted. Not sure his head is on straight these days, but they may add him as well as Branch once he's ready. None of the guys they add has to produce much, just make some plays here and there even in depth rotation. Gronk will be back sooner than later and once they can consistently run their two TE stuff and even some 3 TE stuff the offense should be fine. Shame to lose Edelman as a PR but Bill is pretty conservative and I'm guessing we have more guys who could do it than not and he's just always chosen the path of least resistance because he could. Certainly don't want to see Welker out there except in FC situations.

I think it's reasonable to expect that Julian Edelman may have difficulty making it through a full NFL season based on his history. I also think it's reasonable to expect that Aaron Hernandez may have difficulty making it through a full NFL season based on his history. Obviously, I'm not equating Edelman to Hernandez. But just because a player may have injury issues doesn't make him not valuable (and I'm not suggesting that you're saying he's not).

My guess is that Edelman will be re-signed, and that he'll be a great ST/KR and will show flashes of being much more, but will have problems staying consistently healthy. But I still think he'll be valuable. I wouldn't bank on him as a core component of the offense, but I think he could be a valuable role player.

So just as the Gronk shows that he's finally back to 100% he breaks his arm and just as Edelman shows us the production that we hope he's capable of (vs. Jets and Fins) he breaks his foot. That's how it goes. Football is the toughest of tough games and if you play as a PR and a short yardage receiver you're going to get a lot of lumps. Sympathies for JE and thanks for what he's showed this season. Some great memories. If only he could have run the ball in on that reverse!

I think that we now have 3 WRs and 2 TEs with whom Brady is clearly comfortable. It's not a lot and I'd be upset if any of them were not there next year. Make it so, BB!

But you called it an exaggeration when it's clearly not one, and you're using a barometer that doesn't really make sense. Regular season games count, after all.

I suppose. Forgot about Connolly and some of them. Hopefully these guys will be back and ready to go soon.

Give me a friggin' break. But since you seem so vested in knowing my schedule, here it is: I get off work at 6 pm. Usually I have PatsFans open in my iPhone browser. But, since it's somewhat inconvenient to type the distance I'm walking from McPherson Square to Dupont Circle, I usually don't stop and take the time to respond to posts on my way home. Today, my neighbors were having tasty beverages outdoors (65 degrees in December is the new normal!) so I wasn't able to get home until now to respond to your response.

Hope that clears things up.

But since you asked, I was citing the moniker given earlier in the year to Julian in a thread started by (IIRC) JJDche. But I got it wrong: it's actually Julie, not Julia. Mea culpa. Julie Glassman, Glass-IR Dowling, whatever. It hadn't occurred to me that using the name Julie/Julia would lead people to think I
was calling the guy soft, since that's never been a sentiment I had expressed to this point. But if we're really going full-tilt fauxtrage, what's with you insinuating that by using a female sobriquet I was implying the guy was soft? Seems a bit misogynistic if you ask me.
Nice try there attempting to turn the tables on me with the misogynistic suggestion. You've been an apt pupil under the tutelage of your daddy, Deus, and he does take good care of his lemmings. Let me lay it out straight for you: I believe that you referred to Edelman as "Julia" because like a lot of knuckle-draggers, you think that by referring to a male by a female name you cleverly suggest that somehow that male is soft or not tough enough for your phony standards in that area. There is no other reason, and you know it. Trying to pass the blame off on another, earlier poster doesn't isurprise me in the least.

Last edited:
Just follow the timeline and look at the injuries we have had at TE already this year.

We had signed Shank and he was on IR long before Hoomanawanui was brought in. If you go by the assumption we could have not known Hooman would be available than that puts Shank one step closer to the field.

Bottom line is TE is a postion that you usually dont carry big numbers at and given who big a role Gronknandez have in this offense I agree with the idea of stashing a TE for the chance that we needed him which there is still a pretty good chance we will need him.

I don't want this to happen, but, there might be a time when he will be needed to play on a important part of a game(s)...with the way all of these farkin injuries are occuring.

For **** sake! :mad:

I know right... he was a big improver on this offense and his special teams contributions have been imense.

He was a legitimate chance of being a PB returner/STer this year.

Why can't this team be like the 2009/2010 jets where zero starters were injured and they had a clean run.

Just to be clear -- the guys lost for the season (Edelman) or cut (Branch) are the #5 and #6 receivers. Gronk (injured but recovering), Welker (a little off in a way that suggests he's playing through something, but still highly effective), Hernandez (fragile but currently healthy), and Lloyd still remain.

I've been wanting to see some of that for a while. The combination of Welker and Edelman was quite effective.

Vereen is the best pass catching rb for the Pats, so, I could see this. Woodhead would work well at times too.

they play fells..brady overthrew him once in the last game but was a small window

Yes, but, Fells has more potential than most people might think. Brady should throw to him more. But, you could say that about Lloyd and others also. Of course this goes both ways. The players above should get open more too.

Yes, but, Fells has more potential than most people might think. Brady should throw to him more. But, you could say that about Lloyd and others also. Of course this goes both ways. The players above should get open more too.

It's not just about getting open, either. It's about catching the ball and making a play. Given a choice, Brady is always going to throw the ball to his playmakers. I know fans want him to spread the ball around, but when he did that it was always to playmakers. There are only so many bullits in his gun, and wasting them lands the offense back on the bench leaving potential points on the field.

Devastating news for us fans but we need to think positively.
I for one am reveling in the fact that I am truly faster than Julian Edelman.

That's a shame. Edelman's expertise on special teams and the plays he makes on offense will be missed. The WR corps is dangerously thin. I would not mind at all seeing Gaffney added again.

Devastating news for us fans but we need to think positively.
I for one am reveling in the fact that I am truly faster than Julian Edelman.

You sure about that? ;)

Vereen is the best pass catching rb for the Pats, so, I could see this. Woodhead would work well at times too.

Actually Danny Woodhead has the best catch rate (low 80s %) of any player on the entire team.

Nice try there attempting to turn the tables on me with the misogynistic suggestion. You've been an apt pupil under the tutelage of your daddy, Deus, and he does take good care of his lemmings. Let me lay it out straight for you: I believe that you referred to Edelman as "Julia" because like a lot of knuckle-draggers, you think that by referring to a male by a female name you cleverly suggest that somehow that male is soft or not tough enough for your phony standards in that area. There is no other reason, and you know it. Trying to pass the blame off on another, earlier poster doesn't isurprise me in the least.

You're entitled to believe whatever it is you want, just as I am entitled to not give a tinker's damn. Have a nice day.

You're entitled to believe whatever it is you want, just as I am entitled to not give a tinker's damn. Have a nice day.
You too, and I already have. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe