PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

Agreed but in a quality organization like this one, there is value in staying. Each person places different, and in some cases no, monetary value on that.

There's also long-term financial value to becoming a mainstay of a single fanbase. Do you think Tedy Bruschi would have such a lineup of media and sponsorship gigs right now if he'd hopped from team to team?

SOURCE, please!

Came up on my twitter feed from @PatriotsBeat who appears to work for CLNSradio.com

Not sure how reputable

IMHO, only two players have given the patriots significant discounts: Brady and Bruschi.

Perhaps Edelman will be third. Or perhaps no one will offer much more than the patriots.

I do NOT expect players to offer major discounts based on projected sponsorship monies, especially a player who has had one good year and is signing his first contract for serious money.

There's also long-term financial value to becoming a mainstay of a single fanbase. Do you think Tedy Bruschi would have such a lineup of media and sponsorship gigs right now if he'd hopped from team to team?

if at offer is valid he'd be mad to refuse it. I don't think he'll get a better offer. Unless the ghost of Al Davis is working for another front office.

JE isn't fast enough and too productive for Al.

I like Edelman and hope he stays. In all honesty you can not blame any NFL player for taking the money and running. I think the average career length is less than five years, so if someone offers him more guarenteed money, he would be a fool not to take it. This is his one and only shot at the brass ring.

I think the Pats have made a more than fair offer. Edelman offers excellent and reliable punt returning, and emerged last year as the go to guy for Brady. But lets all remember that last year was the only year he was able to stay healthy!

We should all know in a few hours....

I do NOT expect players to offer major discounts based on projected sponsorship monies, especially a player who has had one good year and is signing his first contract for serious money.

Nor do I. If one team offers a Brinks truck more than any other, I fully expect them to sign the player.

But not every decision looks like that. More likely the player is weighing multiple issues in assessing options: contract length, guarantees & bonuses, escalator clauses, etc. And that's where non-contract items like the quality of the team and the organization, the location, and building a "brand" can come into play.

I'm hoping it's 4 years/23.5M, 10M Guaranteed

There is pent up demand. The cap increase (and forecast of future increases) put a lot of money out there. The stated offer makes sense on value for the patriots. The offer makes sense given the cap situation a month ago. The question is the new market.

The amount of money teams has does not make the player better.
5 mill a year, give or take is one of the top 10 guys on your team, if not higher.
How many teams out there look at Edelman and are ready to pay him as one of their top 10 players?

The amount of money teams has does not make the player better.
5 mill a year, give or take is one of the top 10 guys on your team, if not higher.
How many teams out there look at Edelman and are ready to pay him as one of their top 10 players?

It does create a market where some players get dramatically overpaid. It would be pretty risky for Edelman to bank on being one of those guys, though, when the alternative is holding out for a dramatic overpay, watching the Pats sign someone else, then ending up having to go somewhere else for a lesser contract.

Who's Really to Blame in Wes Welker vs. New England Patriots Contract Fiasco? | Bleacher Report

Broncos gave him 6 mil a year, the pats offered him up to 8 mil per.

If Welker put up the numbers he had been putting up prior to joining Denver he would have made more money here, then he did in Denver.

He also turned down a larger contract from Tenn.

That article said the opposite of what you concluded it said, the 16 million was not going to be earned and the Patriots had the opportunity to match an offer you claim was lower but passed, that makes no sense. Bob Kraft's claim was based on what he claimed was a one year deal from Denver because they would release him after one year, and that is clearly not going to happen. I can understand why the Patriots made the decision they made but the claim Welker passed up more in NE is complete and utter bullsh.t, as was Bob Kraft's claim he wanted Welker here for life. When Welker signed the franchise tag Belichick decided he would never get more than the two year 16 million they had on the table, which is why he wouldn't budge on anything that paid him more than the difference between the tag and the first year of his new deal. People can wear the laundry and pimp the Patriots line all they want but the idea that they really wanted him and Welker passed on their great offer is delusional. He wanted to be in NE and he wanted to win more than anything but the relationship between betwen he and Belichick had soured too much, so they moved on to Amendola.

At this point this is really really old news and not worth discussing any more so that's all I am going to say on this, I dropped a long long time ago and now what matters is what they do going forward and not old battles that were resolved long ago. The patriots were right not to give him what i would have given him and at this point the best move for Welker would be retirement so he has a healthy life after football, a couple more years of these hits and he will be in a nursing home when he is 40.

I'm not feeling it......I just have a hard time caring about edelman

I'd rather spend more for golden tate

What ever team offers JE the highest guaranteed amount I believe he will go to. In the offseason/free agency I think fans but to much on "winning". NFL players go to where they will get the most money 9/10 times on their one chance to break the bank.

I'd rather not read that this is a take it or leave it offer, again.

Edelman has until 4 to give his answer, this is a take it or leave it offer.

This would probably fit for most NFL fan bases today, but it seems to really fit in this thread. So, for those of you on pins and needles, let this be your motto...

creepshow-300x140.jpg

Edelman has until 4 to give his answer, this is a take it or leave it offer.

Source????????

Source????????

Sorry, i can't give that up or i will never be able to get my insiders to give up the inside information we all covet.

Besides, I only said it because Captain Stone said he never wanted to hear it again.

I really think he should take it but it's getting close to the deadline. There's no telling how he would perform on another team, and there are a lot of serviceable WR's this year in free agency.

Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

My belief is that Edelman has until 355PM today to accept the offer. Should he accept the offer they will release Amendola. If he does not accept the offer they will proceed with Amendola and completely pull out of Edelman discussion.

They will not retain both of them.

This would probably fit for most NFL fan bases today, but it seems to really fit in this thread. So, for those of you on pins and needles, let this be your motto...

creepshow-300x140.jpg

Ah look. Deus taking the opportunity to feel superior yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes