PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade WR Lewis to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
, he has returned kicks and punts, so he can be at least a backup returner.

I hope he was doing that the year he had 13 receptions, 0 carries, and 2 fumbles ...

Is that the same Lewis who made that outstanding TD catch in SB39?:confused:

Totally agree. This move is as much if not more about the 2010 draft than anything else, and considering 2010 is uncapped, a 7th round pick could end up being pretty golden. ;)

Put down the Kool Aid, my friend. :)

Guess that answers the open receiver slot. Moss, Welker, Lewis, Slater(?), 3-TE's and aiken

A seventh is "dross?" Oh bad Strudel!

a 7th = #34 (Matt Cassel)
a 7th was the clincher in the Wes Welker trade.
a 7th = David Givens
a 7th bought two years of stud ST play from Willie Andrews before brain flatulence ruined his life.
a 7th bought 4 years of stud ST play and even some #3 OLB/injury starts from TBC.
a 7th was trade bait to move up for Matthew Slater (who had a pretty good rookie year on STs, Pittsburgh muff included).
a 7th bought three years of reserve NT with Ethan Kelly.

There have been misses, but those 1 cent face value, 7th round certificates have allowed BB to invest wisely, I'll take that kind of dross...I know I want a couple extra sevenths for my mock drafting this year. ;)

But they're also relatively easily attained. Also, remember that the context here is whether we evaluating the trade a steal or not. My point is not that a 7th round pick is nothing, my point is that when evaluating this trade the 7th does little to make it more, or less, a steal. I mean, we gave up a 5th.

Edit: just for kicks, some recent 7th rounders that didn't make your list

Oscar Lua
Mike Elgin
Andy Stokes
Christian Morton
Spencer Nead
T.J. Turner

It's not nothing, but it's a lot more lottery ticket than cash. ;)

Last edited:
Lewis replaced Washington. Gaffney has not been replaced. Slater is not really a receiver; he is a fine special teamer. Aiken is not much of a receiver, but beat out Washington for reps at the #4 wide reeceiver.

Consider what would happen if Moss or Welker were out for a game or two. Now please answer again with regard to us being finished acquiring wide receivers.

Guess that answers the open receiver slot. Moss, Welker, Lewis, Slater(?), 3-TE's and aiken

I don't think so. But Licht may know something we don't. In fact given the how many of us are employed by the Pats vs. How many Licht's are employed by the Pats, I bet he knows a lot we don't.

Still. There will be others. Remember 80 :: 75 :: 53

Consider what would happen if Moss or Welker were out for a game or two. Now please answer again with regard to us being finished acquiring wide receivers.

So you think we should sign TO, huh? ;)

This is a mysterious move.

Lewis replaced Washington. Gaffney has not been replaced. Slater is not really a receiver; he is a fine special teamer. Aiken is not much of a receiver, but beat out Washington for reps at the #4 wide reeceiver.

That will be decided in camp....I am doubting we sign anything big at WR now and we will probably draft someone and maybe sign one cheap option but I don't think we will get anyone who is no doubt #3 WR. Lewis will battle for that with one or two guys plus Aiken, Slater, Ventrone for 5 as well.

is Greg Lewis comparable to david Patten? Both are speedsters.

mike furrey would have been much better

mike furrey would have been much better

Think Furrey is looking for a 3 year, $2M deal with no guaranteed money? If so I agree that we should sign him immediately.

Keep in mind that Holt is due a $1.25M bonus on or about the 15th...and he said that he really wants to leave. Me thinks he gets cut loose before that bonus date if not traded before. He would be ideal for a year or two opposite Moss.

Thankfully, Mrs Bruschi didn't see your omission of Ventrone from the list.

Did anyone post this article on "G-Lew"?

Karma works in strange ways.

On the same day the Cowboys parted with Terrell Owens, the Eagles have traded Owens' most fervent acolyte, reserve wideout Greg Lewis, to New England. The Birds get a fifth-rounder this year, bringing them up to an even dozen picks in the April 25-26 draft. They send the Pats a 2010 seventh-rounder.

Lewis entered the league as an Eagles undrafted free agent in 2003 (that was the year all the guys they drafted stunk and all the undrafted free agents they signed were good. Go figure). He showed promise, humor and wit, before falling under the spell of Darth Owens during T.O.'s two-year sojourn in green. Lewis, badly overmatched when the Eagles made him a starter following Owens' suspension in 2005, quickly soured on the media and spent the rest of his Eagles career being surly and sarcastic. He had good hands, and was an able special teams performer, though this past season he seemed to take an inordinate amount of special teams penalties.

For some reason, Pats coach Bill Belichick has always coveted Lewis. Belichick was able to make Jabar Gaffney into a productive wideout after the Eagles released him, so maybe he knows something we don't.

Last edited:
Lewis is a "disciple" of TO? :confused: Ruh oh!

Last edited:
Does Bethel Johnson play special teams?

He used to be a pretty good kick returner. He was a top 10 kick returner in 2003 and 2004.

Edit: Correction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes