PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade WR Lewis to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no downside with this deal, the Pats traded away a late 5th, which is probably 8-10 spots higher than the compensatory pick the Pats will receive for losing Gay last year. Lewis has good hands and great speed. He's a backup WR w/special teams skills. Good athlete who makes big plays. He can go over the middle, despite his size, and runs inside and outside. Good pickup for very short money, no downside to this move especially when you receive a conditional 2010 pick which looks to be a 7th.

I nominate the post by denverpatsfan as one the worst analyses of the year.
=========================================
Last year was a rebuilding year and this year there is rebuilding so we are "doomed"!! We "just" cut Chad Jackson????????

???????????????????????

We were favorites to win the AFC until Brady was injured. We were favorites to make the playoffs even without Brady until Thomas was injured. We had so many injuries at LB that
Colvin and Seau were called back. We had many injuries in the secondary. And we still were almost in the playoffs.

We have a Super Bowl quality team this year as we did last year. We are indeed "rebuilding" at certain positions. We always are. The 2007 offense might be better than the 2007 offense, one of the best in the history of the NFL. We've added a HOF RB and a fine blocking TE to the 2007 team. We've replaced Gaffney with Lewis. We will likely bring in yet another receiver as well as a fullback to replace Evans. The entire line has been together since 2007, including backups.

On the defense, our DL likely will lose a backup (Wright) whose reps will be taken by Smith. The linebackers added FOUR linebackers last year, including the DROY. We will add another this year. I expect the 2008 rookies to improve this year. The secondary added a couple of corners last year, and they should improve this year. We brought in Springs to replace O'Neal (an upgrade) and will likely bring in another defensive back. The defense is better than last year, presuming that we don't repeat the injury nightmare of last year.

And, yes, we will rebuild through the draft this year, after adding a few more free agent additions. We've signed 12 so far (11 likely to make the team). Will the draftees improve the team in their rookie year? Time has shown that at least a couple of rookies will be assets in their rookie years.

So, the bottom line is that we have no reason to concede the AFC championship to the Steelers. With Brady back, we should have a team equal to theirs, at least by mid-season.

Didn't we just cut Chad Jackson? Same player.

Another non-move. I guess the team will be built by the draft. I thought last season was supposed to be the "rebuilding" year. Certainly looks like this year will be. I guess the Steelers will take it yet again. Too bad.

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate the analysis. I am just discouraged by the CONSTANT coaching changes and now FRONT office change. How many dominant teams have had so much change and still been successful at winning a championship?

Who is going to replace Gaffney? Not a huge loss but he knew the system. A system that apparently is VERY challenging to learn.

Will the young defense be able to play well enough to win KEY games this season against the Colts and Donkees. Teams that will be in the playoffs and teams that the Pats cannot beat lately (Colts) and historically suck against (Donkees).

Will the line have another good season in them?

Will the Pats be able to compete without a decent Tight End?

All valid questions.

Sorry for the knee jerk earlier post but I see other teams making much better moves this offseason. As I said they had better have an extremely good draft in order to compete with the big boys this season.

:DI like the trade....3 years at low cost....most thing is WHO is throwing to Lewis....TB can make any WO look good....Fellas trust the Bill...he knows...GO PATS!!!

tell that to Chad Jackson :D

People seem to forget that once upon a time, BB traded for a little known WR . That trade was questioned by alot of people on this board. BB said he traded for the guy because he always played well against the Pats, and felt he would do well here. That player was Welker (for those of you who are slow)

So, Lewis had his best games against the Pats, and BB traded for him. Not that that was the only reason, but i think we should give BB the benefit of the doubt, and see what happens. I always laugh when i read peoples comments on here. Half of the posters will instantly claim that a new Patriot is crap, and wont help the team, and we're doomed. Lets wait for TC to see if Lewis is crap. OK?

So the Eagles clear a space at WR .. wonder who for ;)

Lewis will be either be great or a bust .. so its no risk move really, but as long as he takes some defenders away from Moss and Wes and makes a few catches im fine with it

Quick look at the Eagles boards and a lot of them sad to see him go...

So, Lewis had his best games against the Pats, and BB traded for him.

Welker played well against the pats when he was on the dolphins.

I am just discouraged by the CONSTANT coaching changes and now FRONT office change.

As long as we have Belichick, I'm sure we can replace anyone.

Who is going to replace Gaffney? Not a huge loss but he knew the system. A system that apparently is VERY challenging to learn.

You already said it, he is NOT a huge loss. Yes. I would like him to stay, but I'm sure Lewis, Aiken or any WR we take in the 2nd round can fill his shoes. However, we still have some guys called Randy Moss & Wes Welker...

Will the young defense be able to play well enough to win KEY games this season against the Colts and Donkees.

I'm confident the defense will be better than last year. We already had some young people starting (Meriweather, Mayo, Weathley/Wilhite) who should show improvements, we recover Thomas and we still have Seymour, Wilfork and Warren. Yes, we lose Vrabel, but he was clearly declining and Banta-Cain or Woods should do fine. Springs is an improvement over O'Neal.

teams that the Pats cannot beat lately (Colts) and historically suck against (Donkees).

I'm pretty sure we beat the Colts the last time Brady was on the field... and I think I remember a 41-7 last year against... yep, the Broncos...

Will the line have another good season in them?

If they stay healthy (a valid point for any team, not just us) I'm sure they will.

Will the Pats be able to compete without a decent Tight End?

I think Chris Baker is a good addition

Sorry for the knee jerk earlier post but I see other teams making much better moves this offseason.

Really? Maybe a couple of teams are doing better than the rest, but none of them are already contenders. I don't see the Steelers, Colts, Giants or Chargers (the teams we really have to worry about) doing much better than us.

As I said they had better have an extremely good draft in order to compete with the big boys this season.

Ejem... we are the big boys. Check the betting odds, everybody has the Patriots as the #1 option to win the next Super Bowl. Yes, we have some weaknesses, but all teams have their own.

I read on the Eagles board that WIP's Gargano has been hinting at CJ to Philly rumors.

He may not be THAT reliable, but he was also the same guy who broke the Stallworth and Takeo Spikes trades in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

I read on the Eagles board that WIP's Gargano has been hinting at CJ to Philly rumors.

He may not be THAT reliable, but he was also the same guy who broke the Stallworth and Takeo Spikes trades in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

Chad Jackson? CJ Jones? Chad Johnson? Chris Jerricho?

So the Eagles clear a space at WR .. wonder who for ;)

Lewis will be either be great or a bust .. so its no risk move really, but as long as he takes some defenders away from Moss and Wes and makes a few catches im fine with it

Quick look at the Eagles boards and a lot of them sad to see him go...

If he can stretch the field (and I loved Gaffney, but that wasn't on his resume), then Lewis will be fine. Gaffney had some nice games here, but he also had the chance to step into the #3 role and couldn't quite grab it. So to speak. :(

Why does every free agent signing have to redefine the team? Can't they bring in a burner with a decent career and hope that TB and he will connect on the field? Why the Armageddon complex, people? :confused:

When I saw that we sent Philly a 5th rounder for Lewis plus we were getting a conditional 2010 pick back, at first I thought that Philly was going to bid on a RFA whose compensation would have been a 5th rounder and they didn't have any, but then I checked and Phily not only has their own 5th rounder, they also have the Jests, and Clevelands, and now the Pats! Plus they have their own and an extra 6th rounder!

In all Philly has all of their own picks plus and extra 1st round pick, 3 extra 5th round picks, and an extra 6th round pick.

The Pats will most likely get at least one and maybe 2 5th round compensation picks, but Philly must be clearing roster spots because they have 12 Draft picks in the up coming draft.

The Globe is now saying that the Pats will get a 7th rounder in 2010 from the Eagles.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/03/06/patriots_acquire_depth/

Last edited:
When I saw that we sent Philly a 5th rounder for Lewis plus we were getting a conditional 2010 pick back, at first I thought that Philly was going to bid on a RFA whose compensation would have been a 5th rounder and they didn't have any, but then I checked and Phily not only has their own 5th rounder, they also have the Jests, and Clevelands, and now the Pats! Plus they have their own and an extra 6th rounder!

In all Philly has all of their own picks plus and extra 1st round pick, 3 extra 5th round picks, and an extra 6th round pick.

The Pats will most likely get at least one and maybe 2 5th round compensation picks, but Philly must be clearing roster spots because they have 12 Draft picks in the up coming draft.

The Globe is now saying that the Pats will get a 7th rounder in 2010 from the Eagles.

Patriots acquire depth - The Boston Globe

watch their waivers in training camp........they may be unloading decent talent this year

Well, I believe I addressed that, but since you chose to characterize a 7th as "dross" when refuting my "steal," it only seemed fair to point out how quickly that definition became unworkable when evaluating the value of those picks that did hit. Heck, as spacecrime so cunningly proved, those 'wasted' picks you list above, taken together, don't even add up to a low 4th round pick...the comp picks for D-Giv and TBC would have matched that easily enough. NE still used a 5th round pick to add a quality STer and got change back, something they did not get in the 2008 draft. The Pats are already ahead of the game, if Lewis blossoms as a WR with Brady as his QB...we might need shades to gaze upon Andy Reid's rosey cheeks.

Yeah, but you'll have to take those rose colored glasses off first. ;)

Anyway, I'm in the camp of "perceived equal value" as opposed to "steal". Is it better than the trade up for Slater? Well, Slater is younger.

Yeah, but you'll have to take those rose colored glasses off first. ;)

Anyway, I'm in the camp of "perceived equal value" as opposed to "steal". Is it better than the trade up for Slater? Well, Slater is younger.
LOL, tis the offseason of high hopes, I'll get gloomy when BB retires. :D

Sorry for the knee jerk earlier post but I see other teams making much better moves this offseason.
Yeah, those damn Redskins won the March Lomdardi again. Every year they have the biggest off-season. Why can't BB be more like Syder?

Yeah, those damn Redskins won the March Lomdardi again. Every year they have the biggest off-season. Why can't BB be more like Syder?

Cuz he likes winning the February Lombardi better... :D

People seem to forget that once upon a time, BB traded for a little known WR . That trade was questioned by alot of people on this board. BB said he traded for the guy because he always played well against the Pats, and felt he would do well here. That player was Welker (for those of you who are slow)

So, Lewis had his best games against the Pats, and BB traded for him. Not that that was the only reason, but i think we should give BB the benefit of the doubt, and see what happens. I always laugh when i read peoples comments on here. Half of the posters will instantly claim that a new Patriot is crap, and wont help the team, and we're doomed. Lets wait for TC to see if Lewis is crap. OK?

Wes Welker wasn't little known... maybe for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes