PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade WR Lewis to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO Kelly Washington+ replacement

Contract
10/26/2004: Signed a six-year $5.885 million contract, $700,000 signing bonus.
2009: $650,000
2010: $670,000
2011: $725,000
2012: Free Agent

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a steal if 1) the 2010 pick is conditional (conditional picks are designed to prevent steals), and 2) both sides are more or less happy with the trade and Lewis wasn't going to do much for the Eagles anyway.

That said, I think you're right about it essentially being a trade for a ST player. If he contributes at WR, even better.
Strudel ol' buddy, NE used their 7th and moved up in the 5th round last year to draft Matthew Slater. Now, without moving anywhere, they get a similar 'veteran' player (BB has NFL tape on this lad), AND he gets back at least a 7th in 2010 when draft picks may be worth even more due to uncapped year Free Agency rules for playoff teams. I've got to call that a "steal." Both sides are happy with the Cassel trade too, and I'd still call it a "steal" for KC. Such is life.

Strudel ol' buddy, NE used their 7th and moved up in the 5th round last year to draft Matthew Slater. Now, without moving anywhere, they get a similar 'veteran' player (BB has NFL tape on this lad), AND he gets back at least a 7th in 2010 when draft picks may be worth even more due to uncapped year Free Agency rules for playoff teams. I've got to call that a "steal." Both sides are happy with the Cassel trade too, and I'd still call it a "steal" for KC. Such is life.

Being up about a 7th round draft pick is hardly a steal in my book, that's just dross to even out the trade based on both teams' valuations. But whatever. It's not like there's a rigorous definition for the term.

I do agree that KC got a good deal no matter how you slice it.

As soon as I mentioned this guy to a friend of mine he referred to him as pure speed. Course I've heard that about Mater, too...

For me, there is no question that Lewis is worth a 5th as a special teamer and #4 or #5 WR.

I always thought Lewis was very good b/c I only saw in him the SB and the 2007 game against the Pats. I guess my sample size wasn't big enough.

I was just surfing for info on him, and found a quote by S Brian Dawkins a few years ago that said "he catches everything he gets his hands on". Everybody knows he's a speedster. So, if he has hands and speed, I guess that beats a sharp stick in the eye. Although, you'd think he'd have more production. Time will tell. With the 47 draft picks that the Pats will have this year, I do like trading a pick this year for one next year.

I was reading an eagles forum and they were celebrating that they can get a draft pick out of this guy. One person said he has no WR IQ at all which led to a ton of incomplete passes and even a few interceptions

I was just surfing for info on him, and found a quote by S Brian Dawkins a few years ago that said "he catches everything he gets his hands on". Everybody knows he's a speedster. So, if he has hands and speed, I guess that beats a sharp stick in the eye. Although, you'd think he'd have more production. Time will tell. With the 47 draft picks that the Pats will have this year, I do like trading a pick this year for one next year.

More http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090305/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_patriots_eagles_tradeInfo on the trade:

Totally agree. This move is as much if not more about the 2010 draft than anything else, and considering 2010 is uncapped, a 7th round pick could end up being pretty golden. Plus the eagles ended up with what exactly? This is an awesome deal and all the better if Lewis fits well into this system.

BB sees something in him obviously. Either way it's a win-win for us imho:D

I love when they make moves like this. They're ALWAYS looking ahead, always. They rock ;)

Well, add me to the "don't know enough about him to know what to think yet" list. But hey, you're on board now Lewis, so welcome and get out there and shake a leg!

:amusic:
Shake a leg, shake your head
Shake a leg, wake the dead
Shake a leg, get stuck in
Shake a leg, PLAY TO WIN...

Oops...pardon the AC DC flashback there. It happens.

Mark my words, when all is said and done - Matt Gutierrez will have a better career than Greg Lewis. :D
:rofl:

Too bad David Patten can't make this team. He could make Gute's career.

The Patriot's new director of pro personnel, Jason Licht, was

with the Eagles the past four years. He has first hand knowledge

of Lewis.

Being up about a 7th round draft pick is hardly a steal in my book, that's just dross to even out the trade based on both teams' valuations. But whatever. It's not like there's a rigorous definition for the term.

I do agree that KC got a good deal no matter how you slice it.
A seventh is "dross?" Oh bad Strudel!

a 7th = #34 (Matt Cassel)
a 7th was the clincher in the Wes Welker trade.
a 7th = David Givens
a 7th bought two years of stud ST play from Willie Andrews before brain flatulence ruined his life.
a 7th bought 4 years of stud ST play and even some #3 OLB/injury starts from TBC.
a 7th was trade bait to move up for Matthew Slater (who had a pretty good rookie year on STs, Pittsburgh muff included).
a 7th bought three years of reserve NT with Ethan Kelly.

There have been misses, but those 1 cent face value, 7th round certificates have allowed BB to invest wisely, I'll take that kind of dross...I know I want a couple extra sevenths for my mock drafting this year. ;)

Let's hope he works out for us the same way the last ex-Eagle receiver we acquired, and not like the last receiver we exchanged a 5th round pick for.

I wish we could hop in the Delorean and see what people's reactions were when we signed Gaffney.

I'm not sure anyone would have noticed (it was in-season). I hardly did.

considering the Jets got Lito Sheppard for a 5th round pick, this is not a steal

Likely a waste of a pick. Bethel Johnson could have filled the same role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST