PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade WR Lewis to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis is not nearly as bad as some of you guys are making him out to be. He has some talent, and we got him cheap. Sounds good to me.

What did we give up ? OK, so our #4 WR is locked up, that's great. Now let's focus on #3.

Last edited:
Lewis is not nearly as bad as some of you guys are making him out to be. He has some talent, and we got him cheap. Sounds good to me.

I agree. Brady will make this guy a solid contributor

Over the Springs pick up? Why?

We gots Randy and Wes on WR crew - We gots not so much on the CB posse.

Well think about it. The Pats run a spread offense. So it's likely that Lewis will actually see more playing time than Springs who IMO is nothing more than a Nickel/Dime CB at his age.

AND it's likely the Pats still plan on drafting a CB with one of their 4 day one picks to eventually become the starter.

Last edited:
All of a sudden we like the guy? Why, because he's on the team?

For people thinking he can contribute on special teams, he cost the Eagles a game two years ago by fumbling three punts and then was taken off punt return duties. I don't know where some of you are getting that assessment.

Nothing I have seen from him makes me think that he's any good, so let's not kid ourselves. If he works out, great, but let's not hold our breath.

What did we give up ? OK, so our #4 WR is locked up, that's great. Now let's focus on #3.

Didn't you not know who he was like two minutes ago? Now you already know that he won't be the #3? Neat trick.

Well think about it. The Pats run a spread offense. So it's likely that Lewis will actually see more playing time than Springs who IMO is nothing more than a Nickel/Dime CB at his age.

Ok, I see your side.

I just think that while we need a 3rd WR, I would rather chase that in the Draft - Defense should be the thought process in Free Agency and so far we are picking up Offensive players like they are giving them away at the local Wal-Mart for Free.

For people thinking he can contribute on special teams, he cost the Eagles a game two years ago by fumbling three punts and then was taken off punt return duties. I don't know where some of you are getting that assessment.

Nothing I have seen from him makes me think that he's any good, so let's not kid ourselves. If he works out, great, but let's not hold our breath.

He torched us a couple of times, and on big stages, too: the Superbowl and when the Pats were a few games away from a perfect regular season.

Bill see's something. While I don't follow blind, that's gotta/should have some value to us.

Ok, I see your side.

I just think that while we need a 3rd WR, I would rather chase that in the Draft - Defense should be the thought process in Free Agency and so far we are picking up Offensive players like they are giving them away at the local Wal-Mart for Free.

I agree that we need youth at WR, but it's not like Lewis is Galloway's age. lol

We will likely draft a WR, but most likely not on day one.

From that article:

"One part of this deal that was surely enticing to the Patriots is the economic aspect of it. Lewis is signed for the next three seasons at reasonable prices -- $650,000 (2009), $670,000 (2010) and $725,000 (2011) -- and the Patriots inherit that contract."

That is the very definition of low risk right there. If you get a guy who can do multiple things for you, even in a back up or spot duty role, for less than $750,000 a year against the cap, it's worth a shot.

Yes, it's quite shocking the Pats cheaply acquired a relatively unknown player who's had success against us before, shocking.

Bill see's something. While I don't follow blind, that's gotta/should have some value to us.

He saw what I think we all saw, an inexpensive option at receiver. I hope he does well, of course, but I wouldn't bet any money that he is our No. 3 at the start of the year.

From that article:

"One part of this deal that was surely enticing to the Patriots is the economic aspect of it. Lewis is signed for the next three seasons at reasonable prices -- $650,000 (2009), $670,000 (2010) and $725,000 (2011) -- and the Patriots inherit that contract."

That is the very definition of low risk right there. If you get a guy who can do multiple things for you, even in a back up or spot duty role, for less than $750,000 a year against the cap, it's worth a shot.

The low salary is a plus. That's around vet minimum isn't it?

He saw what I think we all saw, an inexpensive option at receiver. I hope he does well, of course, but I wouldn't bet any money that he is our No. 3 at the start of the year.

The underlying FACT in picking ANY receiver is that Tom Brady will elevate their play. Bill knows that, we know that and you can bet your ass Lewis will be looking to cash in at the end of his Tom Brady/Patriot Way term.

Ok, I see your side.

........and so far we are picking up Offensive players like they are giving them away at the local Wal-Mart for Free.

DAMN! I just used 'Google Earth' and the closest Wal-Mart is 4453 miles from me (here in Denmark). Can't have too many offensive players.

Speaking of which - is T.O. still available? I find him quite offensive. :rolleyes:

Doug Gabriel part 2. I mean, I hope I'm wrong and I want the guy to succeed and all, but Philly has needs at WR and they're not nearly as stupid as, say, the Dolphins front office that traded Welker.

DAMN! I just used 'Google Earth' and the closest Wal-Mart is 4453 miles from me (here in Denmark). Can't have too many offensive players.

Speaking of which - is T.O. still available? I find him quite offensive. :rolleyes:

Ok, How about free at the local Tesco? Aldi's? Ikea?

Last edited:
Yes, it's quite shocking the Pats cheaply acquired a relatively unknown player who's had success against us before, shocking.

Maybe that says more about our secondary than it does about his abilities. Why isn't he doing that stuff against the other 30 teams in the league?

wow, im away from everything for 5 hours and so much has gone down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing