PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB Need To Bring In An Experienced DC To Rebuild The Defense?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes only.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes and personnel.

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Everything is fine./Tralala/Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d definitely like a DC brought in, I wanted RAC as well as Mike Nolan and Wade Phillips.

Those last two run very very different schemes than Belichick, which requires very very different personnel.

Those last two run very very different schemes than Belichick, which requires very very different personnel.

Sure, but are they capable of running a BB scheme?

Whoever has headed up the draft should be fired and get someone who can pick talent like Jimmy Johnson. The Pats drafting has been horrible on the defensive side particularly on safetys, defensive ends and cornerbacks. That's one of the reasons for the worst defensive backfield in 10 years. They just plain suck.

In seeing where the defense ws when they had a DC, and then seeing it now?

Yes.... They need DC.

I'm a little surprised that so many here can't see beyond the titles coaches are, or in this case are not given. Everybody seems to be in total agreement that the Pats do not have a defensive coordinator - and if I am not mistaken nobody has yet pointed out that Matt Patricia is the DC in all respects, except for having the title listed beneath his name on the team's website.

Patricia calls all the team's plays and is the team's defensive coordinator. If you want to say he should be relieved of his duties or strictly be a position coach, that's fine - but please spare me the 'Pats don't have a DC' talk.

Mike Nolan...Kinda.
Wade-Nope. He's pure 1 gap.

Has Wade unsuccessfully tried to run a 2 gap? I have a buddy who is a musician, he has his preference of what he'd like to play but he can also play in different styles depending on the gig.

Is Wade capable of running a BB style defense even if he prefers a 1 gap?

Has Wade unsuccessfully tried to run a 2 gap? I have a buddy who is a musician, he has his preference of what he'd like to play but he can also play in different styles depending on the gig.

Is Wade capable of running a BB style defense even if he prefers a 1 gap?

Wade, who learned it from his Dad who was the innovator of the 34 1 gap D, is all pure 1 gap Defense.

It's like asking Bill Belichick to play pure 1 gap all the time.

Also 1 gap 34 is a 4-3 but inverted. They have no pure NT. That's why it was easy for Wade to move the Texan D from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Wade, who learned it from his Dad who was the innovator of the 34 1 gap D, is all pure 1 gap Defense.

It's like asking Bill Belichick to play pure 1 gap all the time.

Also 1 gap 34 is a 4-3 but inverted. They have no pure NT. That's why it was easy for Wade to move the Texan D from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

How does that work? If you have 3 d-linemen but the guy in the middle isn't a nose?

Whoever has headed up the draft should be fired and get someone who can pick talent like Jimmy Johnson. The Pats drafting has been horrible on the defensive side particularly on safetys, defensive ends and cornerbacks. That's one of the reasons for the worst defensive backfield in 10 years. They just plain suck.

JJs draft's in Dallas were some of the best ever

JJs draft's in Miami were very average.

Last edited:
How does that work? If you have 3 d-linemen but the guy in the middle isn't a nose?

3 Down lineman 4 linebackers.

When Wade ran the Dallas D, their "NT" was Jay Ratliff. He's 6'4 287lbs. Not your ideal NT. Since it's all pure 1 gap D, the NT doesn't have to 2 gap and hold his blocks. The 3 down lineman's job is to attack and penetrate. That's also the case on run downs. Since Rob Ryan is now the DC, he incorporates lots of different philosophies of 34Ds. He runs his brothers D, some parts of Bill B's D (since he coached and learned here), Some of Wade's D etc.

Wade's system is all together different from BB's 2 gap and other 1-2 gap defenses like the Ravens, Steelers, Fins, Jets, Cards, 49ers, Skins, Bills, and the other 34 teams.

I think the only two teams that run Wade's system are the Texans and the Chargers.

Last edited:
Everyone can Google for more, but the true ( 2-gap) 3-4 played by the Pats and others is really a repackaged Okie 5-2, and you can see the Okie influence in the base front.

The Phillips 3-4 is really a repackaged 1-gap 4-3.

The defenses have different lineages.

Last edited:
I agree with many of these posts.

Weak drafting....talent in defensive positions...etc...I remember "pre-Brady" listening to the games at work on the radio and Milloy and Law made plays almost every game. I was hoping Merriweather or any of the other DB's would be above average like everyone else and the OLB drafting has been weak.
"Ayuh..."
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/840659-can-we-fix-secondary.html

BB will always give us a great dline and I love Jerod Mayo-but we need to do better.

DC's don't get a say on draft day anywhere. And being successful in this league before doesn't necessarily correlate to success here or anywhere else for that matter. Coordinator's by and large make their bones by making the best of the hand they are dealt by the HC and/or GM.

Bill has had total control of football ops since the day he arrived here. The day that changes will be the day he seriously contemplates moving on.

This defense has been under a rebuilding for the last three years and we have, to date, the worst pass defense in the NFL with a run defense that isn't anything special. As a matter of fact, I would feel pretty confident in saying that this is the worst defense that Belichick has fielded since he's been here. Changing the way he does things and bringing in an experienced DC who can run his system could not hurt.

This defense has been under a rebuilding for the last three years and we have, to date, the worst pass defense in the NFL with a run defense that isn't anything special. As a matter of fact, I would feel pretty confident in saying that this is the worst defense that Belichick has fielded since he's been here. Changing the way he does things and bringing in an experienced DC who can run his system could not hurt.

Says you. First off there isn't an experienced DC who can run his system other than maybe Mangini or RAC - both of whom he taught to I might add - and neither of them wants to come back here for reasons tied to ego more than anything nor does either of them have a track record of making great drafting and personnel decisions. Changing the way he does things means he'd have to lose the courage of his convictions which have largely brought 2 organizations 5 rings and led this one to 4 superbowls in just your mis-spent youth... No HC or GM has a better track record over the last decade. Name me one who could turn a roster over in 3 years or less without skipping a beat from a W-L record standpoint. The lockout exacerbated the problem inherent in moving on so I'm willing to give him a mulligan of sorts this season. Beats the hell out of nudging him out the door which sadly is what the majority of knuckleheads who voted in this poll seem to think would be the way to proceed (although in their defense they apparently either don't grasp the significance of what they are voting for...or they're in denial).

This team doesn't need to bring a new DC from outside of the organization, it needs some decent players and BB will do the rest.

Says you. First off there isn't an experienced DC who can run his system other than maybe Mangini or RAC - both of whom he taught to I might add - and neither of them wants to come back here for reasons tied to ego more than anything nor does either of them have a track record of making great drafting and personnel decisions. Changing the way he does things means he'd have to lose the courage of his convictions which have largely brought 2 organizations 5 rings and led this one to 4 superbowls in just your mis-spent youth... No HC or GM has a better track record over the last decade. Name me one who could turn a roster over in 3 years or less without skipping a beat from a W-L record standpoint. The lockout exacerbated the problem inherent in moving on so I'm willing to give him a mulligan of sorts this season. Beats the hell out of nudging him out the door which sadly is what the majority of knuckleheads who voted in this poll seem to think would be the way to proceed (although in their defense they apparently either don't grasp the significance of what they are voting for...or they're in denial).

No one's trying to "nudge him out the door." But the D, especially the secondary, is a clusterf#ck personnel-wise and Patricia is not the right man to hold down the fort and scheme around it until re-enforcements [hopefully] arrive in a year or two.

Unless you think BOB is a rock-solid OC who should be trusted completely with the offense, then all these factors point to BB being overextended, without adequate time or resources to fix the D.

BB's track record speaks for itself, but there are no Rodneys, Vrabels or McGinists walking through that door. Could be completely unrealistic/wishful thinking on most fans' part, but if there's a RAC, Dom Capers or Wade Phillips type out there, I'd rather give him a call than watch another season or two pissed away with a one and done, mainly because we don't have the dominant defense we had in the Championship years.

The problem isn't Belichick as a coach or Belichick's system. It's a lack of talent. They've simply failed to replace the talent that started leaving the roster after 2007.

They've only recently had some solid additions through the draft, but they aren't enough, and one (McCourty) has regressed significantly.

If the idea is to bring in someone who help find defensive talent, then I'd support that. But we don't need a new DC.

Last edited:
im all for bring in a new DC as long as that new DC bring a FS a nickle and dime back and a pass rusher with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes