PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone think Tom is underrated when compared to Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look...over the years I have been one of the biggest Peyton bashers on this board with an unrelenting vengeance...Pay Me Tons, Manling,Goober from Geekville...whatever...but seriously, Peyton Manning has been a once in a generation QB in the NFL from the start...he's smart, he's tough and he's a hard worker par excellence...put him on the Patriots with our staff and support structure and he'd have torn this league to shreds over the years. The pressure he can put on the opposition on a team that plays excellent team DEFENSE would have undoubtedly led to more championships. Polian took his chances betting offense would carry the Colts. The Pats PROVED defense ultimately wins out. I still hate his guts but I respect Peyton Manning..he's earned it

Look...over the years I have been one of the biggest Peyton bashers on this board with an unrelenting vengeance...Pay Me Tons, Manling,Goober from Geekville...whatever...but seriously, Peyton Manning has been a once in a generation QB in the NFL from the start...he's smart, he's tough and he's a hard worker par excellence...put him on the Patriots with our staff and support structure and he'd have torn this league to shreds over the years. The pressure he can put on the opposition on a team that plays excellent team DEFENSE would have undoubtedly led to more championships. Polian took his chances betting offense would carry the Colts. The Pats PROVED defense ultimately wins out. I still hate his guts but I respect Peyton Manning..he's earned it

Pretty much the most rational statement that has surfaced from this thread. Nice post.

"Torn to Shreds over the years" - Would that be like...oh I don't know.. 3 Super Bowl Victories in 4 appearances...an UNDEFEATED REGULAR SEASON...Fastest QB to 100 wins...What? What in hell would he have done that Tom has not done - and PLEASE don't forget he's been throwing to a HOF receiver in a dome and choking has nothing to do with the people around you - it's inherently in his blood.

BTW - Although I may not sound like it - I DO realize Peyton is a GREAT QB.

my point is defense wins championships...check Tom's St Louis stats...it was Vrabel knocking their QB senseless that was the major factor. Peyton? With a BB D scheme...you gotta admit it'd be pretty much top echelon

Pretty much the most rational statement that has surfaced from this thread. Nice post.

There have been plenty of rational posts. I agree that Manning is an all-time great QB. However, you said that Brady is overrated compared to Manning, and I asked you to tell me how that can possibly be the case. You still haven't.

There have been plenty of rational posts. I agree that Manning is an all-time great QB. However, you said that Brady is overrated compared to Manning, and I asked you to tell me how that can possibly be the case. You still haven't.

He'd have a better chance of arguing that the sun won't rise tomorrow.

my point is defense wins championships...check Tom's St Louis stats...it was Vrabel knocking their QB senseless that was the major factor. Peyton? With a BB D scheme...you gotta admit it'd be pretty much top echelon

Yes, he'd would be great. However, Peyton would be good in any system that has TWO things: 1. A HOF receiver and 2. An Offensive line that gives him protection.

Tommy has proven in the past that he needs only one of those two things (up to last year).

Check out Toms career Superbowl stats. 100 of 156 for 1001 yards 7 td's 1 int. And then take into account that the Pats defense has given up a total of 54 4th qtr points in their last 4 superbowls. Thats an average of 13.5 point per game given up in the 4th qtr. Now the Pats defense has helped them get to the SuperBowl on many of occassions, but the Defense has also come up very short at the end of the actual SuperBowl games, and needed Brady to bail them out.

And I agree that Manning is a great QB, but he has had some very good to excellent defenses himself. He has had 3 top 7 defenses in his career (7th, 2nd and a 1st) and in those three times they made the playoffs, the Colts are 0-3. All first round losses. So the thought that Manning would be so much better with a top defense does not add up.

IMO, he is overrated when compared to PM. Manning would never diss another team by laughing off their point prediction. "17 points? Thta's all he thinks we're going to score?" How smug can you be? There's leadership for ya.

Leadership? Like Manning? A guy who blames their losses on his offensive line and on injuries. And I can't send the link because my work blocks out youtube, but there is a very interesting clip of Manning absolutely berating Jeff Saturday on the sidelines of a game, and all because Saturday suggested they try to run the ball. If I remember correctly, Manning can be heard clear as day saying to Saturday "just do you f-in job"! Nice way to talk to your all-pro center.

Where as Brady blames himself first for their losses, has bought his offensive line all new cars as well as made sure they were included in a commercial he did a few years back.

Yes, he'd would be great. However, Peyton would be good in any system that has TWO things: 1. A HOF receiver and 2. An Offensive line that gives him protection.

I'd add 3) A dome/74 and sunny.

Leadership? Like Manning? A guy who blames their losses on his offensive line and on injuries. And I can't send the link because my work blocks out youtube, but there is a very interesting clip of Manning absolutely berating Jeff Saturday on the sidelines of a game, and all because Saturday suggested they try to run the ball. If I remember correctly, Manning can be heard clear as day saying to Saturday "just do you f-in job"! Nice way to talk to your all-pro center.

Where as Brady blames himself first for their losses, has bought his offensive line all new cars as well as made sure they were included in a commercial he did a few years back.
IMO, a player, in the heat of a game, does NOT have to watch his p's and q's. There is no 'politically correct' way to get your point across after a screw up on the field. I applaud Peyton for his passion. I've never seen him whine on the sideline and throw his water bottle down in disgust like a little baby either:p.

I've never seen him whine on the sideline and throw his water bottle down in disgust like a little baby either:p.

That's true; he waits for the postgame press conference to do that.

IMO, a player, in the heat of a game, does NOT have to watch his p's and q's. There is no 'politically correct' way to get your point across after a screw up on the field. I applaud Peyton for his passion. I've never seen him whine on the sideline and throw his water bottle down in disgust like a little baby either:p.

so making a joke at a press conference is worse then berating an all pro lineman in front of the rest of the team or blaming a lose on the offensive line, the same offensive line that has made Manning the least sacked QB throughout his years in the NFL. Bud, get a clue

You actually have this backwards. Give Peyton Tom's offensive skills players (RBs and WRs and TEs) and give Tom Peyton's offensive skill players over the last 8 years, in addition, let's put the Goober in the bitter cold and windy Northeast and Tom in the comfy, cushy confines of the RCA Dome and it's real simple like Terry Glenn once said. "You do the math": That math would be: Tom Brady with 2 more trophies and Manning, maybe one more Lombardi and that's a maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
TOM BRADY IS NOT UNDERRATED in any context. I can't believe that the ball-washing he gets - which he DESERVES - is somehow not enough for some people. Come on, guys. Get real.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say that 2 or 3 years ago TFB was underrated. But no more. I don't think an MVP can be underrated by definition.

Yeah, I'd say that 2 or 3 years ago TFB was underrated. But no more. I don't think an MVP can be underrated by definition.

Hey, I'm just arguing with the fella who said he's overrated.

Right, he usually waits for the game to end and the bus to show up and then he throws Jeff Saturday and the crew under it.

Last edited:
so making a joke at a press conference is worse then berating an all pro lineman in front of the rest of the team or blaming a lose on the offensive line, the same offensive line that has made Manning the least sacked QB throughout his years in the NFL. Bud, get a clue

Someone give this Colts fan the URL to the You Tube video where Saturday basically threatens Peyton with a beatdown. I love that one. But I don't have the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back