PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Bad football" to quote Tom Brady. We're seeing a lot of it.

Interesting discussion, my thoughts:

a.) It's all up front with the state of offensive lines league wide. Every game I watch now...the pass rush is getting to QB's constantly. With guys like Josh Allen who can move around or Mahomes who can make off platform throws...it looks OK. But try other teams...the QB is under constant assault and needs to move around in the pocket to just even get their feet set.

b.) Aggressive play calling is a part of it too. If the Bucs kicked figgies yesterday...they would have been down 7-3...then 14-6...still within a score early in the 4th. Instead they went for it on 4th down when the Panthers were up 7-0...and again when the Panthers were up 14-3. Could have been 14-9...then allowing a figgie to the Panthers...and be driving to tie the game at the end....

c.) A lot of deep passes are being attempted on 3rd/4th and short.....just run the damn ball or do a QB sneak...

d.) A lot of players aren't just throwing away the ball...I mean Jimmy G took an ugly safety yesterday. Many QB's are taking sacks for losses when they could have just run out of the pocket and tossed the ball OOB.

He can see a lot of it on Bucs tape.

They seem to think a mix of TB12 throwing hero balls and Lenny Fournette running into the other team's DL is going to win games. They don't seem to be able to switch to a ball control offense to keep the chains moving and grind down the other team. Personally I think TB12 is a big part of this. IMO that's his vision of how to run an offense, and no one else in the building has the stature to call him out on it, unlike his days in NE where his "competitiveness" was kept in check.
Spot on. Of course he is part of it.
Arien’s didn’t (retire) get fired because he won a SB and made in to a Conference Championship game. Tom’s Daddy bashing BB about respect. With both those guys Tom did not have the control he yearned for.
Brady got his wish and the coaches who would allow that.
As they say be careful what you wish for

Spot on. Of course he is part of it.
Arien’s didn’t (retire) get fired because he won a SB and made in to a Conference Championship game. Tom’s Daddy bashing BB about respect. With both those guys Tom did not have the control he yearned for.
Brady got his wish and the coaches who would allow that.
As they say be careful what you wish for
He won ring #7 with those same coaches. Doubt he regrets the decision.

Brady has cut corners this year, skipped practices, walk thoughts, I am not surprised he has struggled

This is not the Brady that was in New England. The guy who got the prime parking spot as a rookie for arriving early.

We also can’t ignore the coach.
Brady has a coach this year with a less than impressive head coach record 29-45 .392 winning percentage

This all comes back to the discussion about building a team vs. assembling a collection of talent. Top heavy rosters with a few superstars at the glamor positions don't work out when the games start.
I'm not sure if MIA proves that point. It seems MIA convinced themselves they had a superstar in Tua, and they keep doubling down on that. To me MIA is more a case of overall bad talent evaluation all over the team, more so than a stars and scrubs mentality.

With the relative disarray of everything in the world right now (and therefore the profits of the industries, as well) you're seeing quality drop as it is supplemented by pure data and execution on that data. The quality of everything is dropping. I've never been so bummed about movies as I've been in 2022. Before that it was 2021. Before that it was 2020. Companies and their "Products" are only willing to engage in sure-fire immediate profit generators, and less willing to create a nuanced product that may have more longevity and long term profitability, but not an immediate return.

I think this is what you see with sports - it started to follow data beyond strategy for coaches and in turn, strategy for shareholders and advertisers. I also think it is imperative to acknowledge how much CoVID in those first two years screwed up people going into or already in college. I've heard nonstop from my professor friends that this is the most challenging year because everyone is so checked out.

Another thing worthwhile noting, just kinda riffing now: From a football perspective, I think that need for higher stats because the data suggests people tune in the most to that led to the game simplifying (I think we all share that). What that data needs to tell the full picture is, well, the whole picture: high scoring **** and pass happy offense was generating big viewerships in a time when it was an exceptional occurance, or even less than normal.

Also, for all the silly **** Brady says it displays, he had one of the most indicting and cognizant takes on the modern NFL when he was talking about how the new rules to facilitate offense are actually making QB's worse and more likely to throw bad passes because of flags and other incentives the rule changes have brought on.

Thanks for tuning in.

With the relative disarray of everything in the world right now (and therefore the profits of the industries, as well) you're seeing quality drop as it is supplemented by pure data and execution on that data. The quality of everything is dropping. I've never been so bummed about movies as I've been in 2022. Before that it was 2021. Before that it was 2020. Companies and their "Products" are only willing to engage in sure-fire immediate profit generators, and less willing to create a nuanced product that may have more longevity and long term profitability, but not an immediate return.

I think this is what you see with sports - it started to follow data beyond strategy for coaches and in turn, strategy for shareholders and advertisers. I also think it is imperative to acknowledge how much CoVID in those first two years screwed up people going into or already in college. I've heard nonstop from my professor friends that this is the most challenging year because everyone is so checked out.

Another thing worthwhile noting, just kinda riffing now: From a football perspective, I think that need for higher stats because the data suggests people tune in the most to that led to the game simplifying (I think we all share that). What that data needs to tell the full picture is, well, the whole picture: high scoring **** and pass happy offense was generating big viewerships in a time when it was an exceptional occurance, or even less than normal.

Also, for all the silly **** Brady says it displays, he had one of the most indicting and cognizant takes on the modern NFL when he was talking about how the new rules to facilitate offense are actually making QB's worse and more likely to throw bad passes because of flags and other incentives the rule changes have brought on.

Thanks for tuning in.
I didn't want to go there, but the thought definitely occurred to me.

I'm an educator and I took my standards down out of necessity 2 years ago, we ramped them back up slowly last year, and we went in this year with return to normal, but there is a considerable amount of headwind resisting the return.

My family is on a buying strike because we've had so many bad experiences on purchases the last couple of years (the worst was our ductless AC-Heat Pump units).

It's a jungle out there. Caveat emptor.

He won ring #7 with those same coaches. Doubt he regrets the decision.
Arien’s ran that locker room differently which has more meaning than you seem to want to acknowledge.
Motivation, Culture, Details to execution, In game adjustments, Accoutability etc.
As they say some coaches are good Coordinators but are horrible Head Coaches.
I rooted for Tom to win ring 7. I admire the memories we were provided from TB.
Yes he is still that good to go to a new team that is stacked and win a SB. Long term success gets fuzzy when you become more than just a player. Players have ego‘s and probably don’t think too kindly of favoritism even from a GOAT.
That creates a Culture where motivation suffers. Without that X’s and O’s are secondary

This thread must have aged well...

The funny thing is all the hype about all these big offseason moves with QBs and WRs have mostly been busts thus far. Tyreek Hill is getting a ton of yards, but it really hasn't helped the Dolphins win or score a lot of points (he leads the league in yards, but has 2 TDs and the Dolphins are 19th in PPG). Davante Adams has mostly been a disappointment thus far and has hurt the Packers more than helped the Raiders (even yesterday the Raiders did more damage on the ground than the air). Russell Wilson has been a bust thus far. Hollywood Brown did nothing to help the Cardinals before he was injured. Obviously DeShawn Watson is suspending and doing nothing to help his team.

The only offseason move that really has made any measurable positive impact is AJ Brown to the Eagles.

I disagree about Tyreek.

He’s the only reason that team has 4 wins.

Buffalo was down 10 starters against Miami and broke without Hill playing, the Bills still would have won.

No way they come back to beat Baltimore without Hill either.

That was some bad football last night, all right...

Unbelievable how badly we played....all phases....

I didn't want to go there, but the thought definitely occurred to me.

I'm an educator and I took my standards down out of necessity 2 years ago, we ramped them back up slowly last year, and we went in this year with return to normal, but there is a considerable amount of headwind resisting the return.

My family is on a buying strike because we've had so many bad experiences on purchases the last couple of years (the worst was our ductless AC-Heat Pump units).

It's a jungle out there. Caveat emptor.
Ugh I feel you on the purchases. Just the last week my dryer, heater, and dishwasher all went out. Money doesn’t grow on trees

Ugh I feel you on the purchases. Just the last week my dryer, heater, and dishwasher all went out. Money doesn’t grow on trees
Manufacturers are deliberately putting out cruddy products to stay alive

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back