PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone think Tom is underrated when compared to Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton Manning is Jessica Simpson: Blonde with big boobs and sex appeal, but no personality. Tom Brady is Elaine from Seinfeld or Roz from Frasier: not going to turn most guy’s heads on looks alone, but physically attractive and a great personality. Even those attracted to Jessica Simpson would only be dating her as a trophy girlfriend and for sex, and as soon as they were watching a football game with her and she asked “what’s so fair about a fair catch?” both of those perks would get old quickly, just like even the biggest Manning ballwasher flinches when he throws the ball to the wrong team in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Elaine or Roz continue to get dates and Jessica sits at home and wonders “Why do guys like them better than me?” Similar to Manning having more natural talent and athletic ability than Brady, but not having the quality, the intangible “it” that Brady has and Manning will never have. Then Elaine or Roz goes out and gets a new outfit (or Randy Moss) and while their boobs still aren’t big as Jessica’s, they have equal amount of sex appeal and beat Jessica at her own game anyway.

Are you Tom Casale?

I was just saying that Brady - up until last year - wasn't known for the sexy 50 yard pass and better known for his short and mid-range passes, didn't have the sex appeal or highlight-reel qualifications of ESPN yet still managed to be more effective and clutch than Manning. Now he's throwing the 50 yard pass anyway, and everyone who didn't know, now knows he's always been the better, more complete quarterback.

I was just saying that Brady - up until last year - wasn't known for the sexy 50 yard pass and better known for his short and mid-range passes, didn't have the sex appeal or highlight-reel qualifications of ESPN yet still managed to be more effective and clutch than Manning. Now he's throwing the 50 yard pass anyway, and everyone who didn't know, now knows he's always been the better, more complete quarterback.

I understood what you meant :) I'm just not liking any comparison that relates anything sexual with Peyton Manning. It's making me sick.

What, Peyton's forehead isn't sexy? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I always look at Brady and Manning as fairly on par with one another. I think Brady would be on pace to break all of Favre's/Marino's like Manning if he had quality WRs his entire career, but I think most people will always factor that into the comparisons.

I think for the rest of their careers Manning and Brady will be on an ever swaying pendulum of who is better. Every time the pendulum swings, people will claim that the debate is definitively over. And it will be until the next time the pendulum swings. Right now, the pendulum is definitely swaying towards Brady.

Brady has been considered one of the best of all time for a while now. I don't know if he can be really all that underrated. I think some of his skills were underappreciated until this year a bit because he didn't have the stats. But even without the stats, he was always considered one of the best of all times in terms of pocket prescence, decision making, intelligence, coolness under pressure, etc. This year just proved he could put up Madden type of production with quality talent around him just like Manning has done all these years.

Good post. We all have our opinions and I agree that opinions change from season to season. After 06 it swayed towards Peyton, last year, back towards Brady. I think Peyton probably needs to win at least one more Bowl to be considered better than Tom when all is said and done, though(which I'm confident he'll do;)) Then again, if he stays healthy and re-writes the record books like he's on pace to do......who knows....?

Both are all time greats who happen to play for our favorite teams so, in that regard, we are ALL lucky.

I'm not sure what your point is, are you arguing the chicken and egg scenario here with who made who better? That's does not work.

Would Peyton be Peyton with out Marvin or would Marvin be Marvin without Peyton. That's all revisionist history and as stated it just don't work.

Fact is that they have been together and whether you want to believe it or not they are one of if not the greatest QB/WR tandems of all time (as backed up by the NFLN) - So please, open Wikipedia check Marvin's stats and rethink your argument.

It absolutely does work. And I know what his stats are. Marvin Harrison averaged 68 catches and 850 yards and 8 TD's BEFORE Manning came to Indy. his first three full seasons with Manning he averaged 0ver 100 catches, 1500 yards and 14 TD's. Thanks for playing.

It absolutely does work. And I know what his stats are. Marvin Harrison averaged 68 catches and 850 yards and 8 TD's BEFORE Manning came to Indy. his first three full seasons with Manning he averaged 0ver 100 catches, 1500 yards and 14 TD's. Thanks for playing.

A couple of problems with your analysis just off the top of my head:

1: You're comparing rookie and sophomore seasons to the seasons of an established veteran.

2: Harrison didn't play a full season until Manning got there. In his first 3 seasons, he played 15, 15 and 12 games.

3: You're ignoring the difference brought about by a new coaching staff, as well.

Why is it Manning lovers feel the need to diminish the abilities of other Colts players to try to win an arguement. You forgot one key element about Harrisons averages before Manning got there, and that was it was his first two seasons in the NFL. And if you compare his averages during those two seasons, you'll see that they match up with some of the best WR's to ever play the game. Here are two quick examples: Jerry Rice's averages over his first two years: 67.5 catches 1248 yards 9 td's. Chris Carter: 42 catches 683 yards 8.5 td's (those are from his 2nd and 3rd seasons, he played only 5 games in his rookie year). And if you go back through the NFL, you'll see that it is very uncommon for a WR to put up big numbers in his first and second season.

Did Manning help Harrison become a great WR? Obviously yes. But it was pretty clear that Harrison was already establishing himself as a great WR when Manning got there, and being drafted #19 overall in the 1996 draft only solidifies the fact that he was very talented to begin with. And its pretty obvious that Manning benefited from Harrison being there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back