PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dobson and Easley look like they are off the PUP - in uniform today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobson not being able to hold onto the ball was one of the most overrated story on this board last year. The guy had a horrible first game and a few more drops after that, but he didn't drop many or any balls as the season went on. His reputation was based on one game.

According to Nick Underhill, he had 3 in week 2, 1 in week 3, two in week 6, one in week 7, and two in week 9. Week 2 was definitely his worst game--in no small part, I'm sure, because of the rain--but he had enough drops after that that writing it off as one bad game isn't really correct either. Personally, I thought it seemed like he was making progress, but unfortunately he got injured too early for us to really know. Until he gets back on the field and starts playing, there won't really be a satisfactory answer either way.

His reputation was based on one game.

A sloppy rain-soaked Thursday night game against the Jets which happened to be his first NFL game.

Yet some people seem to forget that Dobson had the only TD of that game which was his first catch of his NFL career.

Dobson not being able to hold onto the ball was one of the most overrated story on this board last year. The guy had a horrible first game and a few more drops after that, but he didn't drop many or any balls as the season went on. His reputation was based on one game.

I went back through the game tape to see if you were right (I've got spare time), and for the most part, you are.

But what really distracted me re-watching the game tapes is how freaking strong Brady's arm is. I don't think he gets enough credit for having a rocket arm. Especially in the loss at the Jets, which I tried to put out of my mind, he was throwing some lasers out there. I guess people (including myself) just take it for granted that he's supposed to be able to throw lasers?

Maybe I'm off base here, but I think his arm looks stronger than Mallett's. Am I wrong?

edit: okay i'm wrong. :D went back and watched the 1st PS game. Mallett has a cannon. So at best Brady's arm is as strong as Mallett's, maybe a smidge below Mallett's. Still, Brady's arm strength is underrated.

Last edited:
But what really distracted me re-watching the game tapes is how freaking strong Brady's arm is. I don't think he gets enough credit for having a rocket arm. Especially in the loss at the Jets, which I tried to put out of my mind, he was throwing some lasers out there. I guess people (including myself) just take it for granted that he's supposed to be able to throw lasers.
Yeah, Garopplolo's throws seemed so baby soft to me in comparison.

200.gif

So glad when I heard this news earlier today. Can't wait to see them play and see what they can contribute this season.

I totally agree, 7 of his 8 drops came in his first 4 games.

Great news! Hopefully they can both play week 3 of the preseason and get some quality reps.

You cannot make the club from the tub... welcome to TC.

I'm having a great felling about their return.
Dobson's improvement should be a main storyline on the offense this season (maybe the o-line struggles is above him). Had he been out for another week, i'd be very weary.

I honestly don't think Easley will be a huge factor this season. Given his injury history, i am betting on him getting red shirted for something like half a year, with sporadic snaps on the defense (à lá Collins)

Optimis keeps on raising, i cannot wait for the regular season

I'm having a great felling about their return.
Dobson's improvement should be a main storyline on the offense this season (maybe the o-line struggles is above him). Had he been out for another week, i'd be very weary.

I honestly don't think Easley will be a huge factor this season. Given his injury history, i am betting on him getting red shirted for something like half a year, with sporadic snaps on the defense (à lá Collins)

Optimis keeps on raising, i cannot wait for the regular season
What I'm hopping for Easley is that he can help us when the playoff comes. Pass rush has been a huge problem for us in the last couple of years in the playoffs. I hope that Easley can come in during the playoffs and bring some of that inside pressure we have lacked. Somewhat like Collins did for us at linebacker last season.

A Tight End, Defensive Linemen and Wide Receiver walk into a bar...

galv5Il.gif

I went back through the game tape to see if you were right (I've got spare time), and for the most part, you are.

But what really distracted me re-watching the game tapes is how freaking strong Brady's arm is. I don't think he gets enough credit for having a rocket arm. Especially in the loss at the Jets, which I tried to put out of my mind, he was throwing some lasers out there. I guess people (including myself) just take it for granted that he's supposed to be able to throw lasers?

Maybe I'm off base here, but I think his arm looks stronger than Mallett's. Am I wrong?

edit: okay i'm wrong. :D went back and watched the 1st PS game. Mallett has a cannon. So at best Brady's arm is as strong as Mallett's, maybe a smidge below Mallett's. Still, Brady's arm strength is underrated.

I feel like the idea that Brady doesn't have a strong arm came from a misunderstanding about his perceived weakness with the deep ball. When he misses guys going deep, it's very rarely because he couldn't throw it hard enough to get there. It's usually an overthrow, or a lack of touch. If you ever watch him through into the intermediate part of the field, it's an absolute CANNON. I think Welker even commented once that Brady tries to throw the ball through you. Difference is on short and medium distance routes, he doesn't need as much touch.

I feel like the idea that Brady doesn't have a strong arm came from a misunderstanding about his perceived weakness with the deep ball. When he misses guys going deep, it's very rarely because he couldn't throw it hard enough to get there. It's usually an overthrow, or a lack of touch. If you ever watch him through into the intermediate part of the field, it's an absolute CANNON. I think Welker even commented once that Brady tries to throw the ball through you. Difference is on short and medium distance routes, he doesn't need as much touch.

That's why I always thought the "dink and dunk" thing was an insult to the way the Patriots' short-to-intermediate passing game has worked with Brady. "Dink and dunk" makes me think of Chad Pennington, someone like that. Brady's short game has always been based on speed, precision and arm strength. He zips the ball in there in a consistent way that very few QBs have ever been able to do. If anything, "dink and dunk" — that sort of touch on looping passes — has to me always been a weakness. But arm strength? Definitely not.

Easley will be like.Collins last year. Slow to start.But strong finish.

Easley will be like.Collins last year. Slow to start.But strong finish.

Yeah, I'm actually more worried about Dobson from a health perspective. ACLs are serious business, but at this point more predictable than foot injuries, especially the kind that require bone screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft