PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daunte Culpepper

Status
Not open for further replies.
To assume that because those two didn't have good games, Jackson would have automatically performed better is like taking the whole concept of logic and beating it over the head with a mallet. It honestly defies explanation.

couldn't agree more, there are way to many hypothetical’s in sports to actually use them as an argument

same here. Jackson probably would have scored yesterday, he has a knack for doing that.

Funny, after Chad was cut, Felger on CSN says:

"mmm, the Patriots really don't scare anyone at wideout anymore, kind of thin at the position"

Let's rehash Chad's LIMITED play on the field

Buffalo (Orchard park):

Beat his CB so bad on a corner route, Chad was literally waiting for Brady's pass in the corner of the endzone having a freakin sandwich and a frap.

Giants Stadium (Jets)
Catches a beautiful sideline pass where he lays out for a 30 yard gain, then again proceeds to beat the Jet CB so bad on an endzone crossing route the guy was 10 yards behing Chad, wide open for 6 easy ones.

Minnesota:

Takes a pass in the flat from Tom breaks 3 tackles at the 12 and literally kept his balance and dives through 3 guys into the endzone for 6, a phenominal athletic move something that Kelly Washington couldn't dream of doing.

This and what we saw in the preseason (his 2 beautiful TDs) are all we have because HE HASN'T PLAYED DUE TO INJURIES. The talent is there, he just needs the damn snaps...........I'm sorry but we kept a CJ Jones over Jackson, hard to believe to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like leap over a defender and snatch the ball for a TD in the corner of the endzone in the preseason?

Life blow by the CB and catch a fade route TD in the preseason?

How many TDs did Gaffney score in the preseason?

Thats all we have to go on dont bring up last season.

You should really follow a non-BB coached team because you have NO idea what is required to play for this team.

Someone lock this thread up...

I'm sick of hearing Moss had little to do with Duante Culpepper's success...

Being from Minnesota I have seen Moss made fairly decent quarterbacks with great arms into elite QBs (i.e. Randall Cunningham, Jeffrey George, and Culpepper).

Honestly, I mean how all they had to do was throw a halfway decent deep ball and let Moss go up and grab it for a touchdown. For those of you that have never seen the highlights just go youtube Moss during his heydays with the Vikes.

Heck he even made Kerry Collins looked half way decent during the early on when he was with the Raiders.

Even without Moss, Culpepper was just lucky to inherit an offense that also had Cris Carter, and Robert Smith, along with a pretty decent offensive line.

I'm not saying Culpepper was ever a bad QB (sorta like the suck-ass the Vikes have now for a QB)...I'm just saying he was never really an elite QB...

He threw a beautiful deep ball and was very mobile and hard to bring down...

Of course this was before his entire knee (ACL, MCL, PCL) was oblitherated and was never the same after that...

Last edited:
Someone lock this thread up...

I'm sick of hearing Moss had little to do with Duante Culpepper's success...

Being from Minnesota I have seen Moss made fairly decent quarterbacks with great arms into elite QBs (i.e. Randall Cunningham, Jeffrey George, and Culpepper).

Honestly, I mean how all they had to do was throw a haldway decent deep ball and let Moss go up and grab it for a touchdown. For those of you that have never seen the highlights just go youtube Moss during his heydays with the Vikes.

Heck he even made Kerry Collins looked half way decent during the early on when he was with the Raiders.

Even without Moss, Culpepper was just lucky to inherit an offense that also had Cris Carter, and Robert Smith, along with a pretty decent offensive line.

I'm not saying Culpepper was ever a bad QB (sorta like the suck-ass the Vikes have now for a QB)...I'm just saying he was never really an elite QB...

He threw a beautiful deep ball and was very mobile and hard to bring down...

Of course this was before his entire knee (ACL, MCL, PCL) was oblitherated and was never the same after that...

i'm sick of people suggesting that a thread be locked up, if you don’t want to read it or comment JUST STAY OUT OF IT.. not that hard

i'm sick of people suggesting that a thread be locked up, if you don’t want to read it or comment JUST STAY OUT OF IT.. not that hard

i'm sick of people being sick of people thinking a thread should be locked up...

it was a term of expression u idiot...

i'm sick of people being sick of people thinking a thread should be locked up...

it was a term of expression u idiot...

You’re the one that says it’s a stupid thread then go on to say a ton of stupid comments haha you tool:rofl:

You’re the one that says it’s a stupid thread then go on to say a ton of stupid comments haha you tool:rofl:

Never said it was a stupid thread...just gave my reason why daunte culpepper is over hyped and should not be considerred as the new Patriots QB.

Let me guess...ur eleven or twelve?... rofl icon indeed...

Last edited:
Never said it was a stupid thread...just gave my reason why daunte culpepper is over hyped and should not be considerred as the new Patriots QB.

Let me guess...ur eleven or twelve?... rofl icon indeed...

nice spelling, lol

I am not sure how you can watch the Patriots offense and compare it to the Minnesota offense and say the two are remotely similar, other than the presence of Randy Moss.

Unless I completely missed the Minnesota season, that offense was throwing the ball downfield and up for grabs to two big hall of fame receivers. If you saw that as the theme of last season with the Pats, other than Brady throwing it up occasionally when Moss had a clear advantage on the defender, you watched a different season than everyone else watched. Brady is a pocket passer who spreads the ball around and uses his smarts to track up to five wide receivers and can hit any one at a given time in a complex offense involving precise timing routes. Minnesota used a run and gun with a scrambling quarterback. If Culpepper ever demonstrated the ability to run a high precision, complex offense please point out when that was. Yes, that offense was highly successful, but you cannot redesign an offense to accommodate a quarterback's style, nor can you redesign a quarterback to fit a different offense. While you can discount Oakland and Miami as the result of injury, ask whether Culpepper was asked to be a pocket passer in either of those situations and whether he lacks the discipline to play that role effectively. The average football fan would likely say he has a 2 cent brain with incredible physical abilities now substantially in decline due to age and injury (and yes, 31 is old in the NFL if you are a running back, which is half of his skill set). His arm may still be serviceable, but he has to throw it to the correct team on the field or he is not really an offensive asset.

:rofl:

gotta admit that was good.

You h ave no idea what you're talking about. You honestly think we could get farther with a rookie than Cassel who's been in this system for what? 4 years? 3 years? And then the fact that you think Culpepper can get us to a SB. I don't care if he has Moss or not, he sucks now.

It's funny that all the fairweather fans are starting to become apparent now.

Last edited:
I am not sure how you can watch the Patriots offense and compare it to the Minnesota offense and say the two are remotely similar, other than the presence of Randy Moss.

Unless I completely missed the Minnesota season, that offense was throwing the ball downfield and up for grabs to two big hall of fame receivers. If you saw that as the theme of last season with the Pats, other than Brady throwing it up occasionally when Moss had a clear advantage on the defender, you watched a different season than everyone else watched. Brady is a pocket passer who spreads the ball around and uses his smarts to track up to five wide receivers and can hit any one at a given time in a complex offense involving precise timing routes. Minnesota used a run and gun with a scrambling quarterback. If Culpepper ever demonstrated the ability to run a high precision, complex offense please point out when that was. Yes, that offense was highly successful, but you cannot redesign an offense to accommodate a quarterback's style, nor can you redesign a quarterback to fit a different offense. While you can discount Oakland and Miami as the result of injury, ask whether Culpepper was asked to be a pocket passer in either of those situations and whether he lacks the discipline to play that role effectively. The average football fan would likely say he has a 2 cent brain with incredible physical abilities now substantially in decline due to age and injury (and yes, 31 is old in the NFL if you are a running back, which is half of his skill set). His arm may still be serviceable, but he has to throw it to the correct team on the field or he is not really an offensive asset.

uh just a few seasons ago we were running double-tripple TE sets and pounding the rock with Dillon. The Pats adapt their system to the personel they have.

please will you guys get off Chad Jackson, everyone was pretty shocked when he was cut and alot of people wanted big things out of him. I still think he is going to sign somewhere else and be good, and we will regret letting him go. If it doesnt happen then i will glady admit i was a complete fool and totally missed on Jackson, but geez can we at least see him play a couple of seasons in the NFL first?

Okay you though Chad Jackson should have not been cut and Cassel should have been.

Well, guess what a Scott & Bill have different views.

What is the chances Briz gets inducted into the FHF before BB?

Anyone who claims to know whether Cassel will be good or not after watching him in limited time, playing with 2nd and 3rd string players, and very basic playcalls designed to test individual talents (CJ Jones etc.) is delirious. I'm not saying he's going to be good or bad, but I have a lot more confidence in a cheap QB that knows the system inside and out than the available veterans who no one else wants and who will cost us more money. Apparently the Pats agree.

Anyone who claims to know whether Cassel will be good or not after watching him in limited time, playing with 2nd and 3rd string players, and very basic playcalls designed to test individual talents (CJ Jones etc.) is delirious. I'm not saying he's going to be good or bad, but I have a lot more confidence in a cheap QB that knows the system inside and out than the available veterans who no one else wants and who will cost us more money. Apparently the Pats agree.

And I have a lot of confidence that Bill Belichick chose him for this role, and he can assess tallent better than everyone on this board combined.

Matt Cassel = no playoffs.

Kevin OConnell = playoffs but no SB.

Daunte Culpepper = SB Championship.

The fact you have a picture of Chad Jackson as your avatar proves you know little to nothing about what you are talking about.

There is no way you are over the age of 20:rolleyes:

uh just a few seasons ago we were running double-tripple TE sets and pounding the rock with Dillon. The Pats adapt their system to the personel they have.

Uh, little bit of an oversimplification of what I said.

First, New England was a run first team before Dillon showed up. You may want to review the 2001 season and verify your understanding of the offense. You may recall a running back by the name of Antowain Smith who rushed for 1000+ yards that season and left the year Dillon came here. If you think, other than last season's results there have been monster changes in offensive philosophies with Brady, take the time to review his career stats and look at the yardage as every year is pretty much the same +/- 400 yards.

Second, Dillon was acquired in the offseason and added ability to the running game. If he represents a major change over previous seasons other than greater ability, long-time fans may beg to differ with your conclusion. New England under Belichick has been all about clock control prior to last year, and the running game and short passing game supports that goal.

Third, as to your 3 TE set theory, the Patriots had Graham as primarily a blocker (why he went to Denver - to catch passes) and Watson as a receiver (and yes, there were other TEs on the roster). The Patriots under Belichick have a reputation for picking TEs early (that means prior to Dillon), and use them as they see fit. If you can add all the TE receptions up and find a season where that was most of the pass offense or at a level comparable to the days Ben Coates, or find greater or fewer numbers of TEs on the roster with the acquisition of Dillon, I will accept that was something more than a play in a multitude of potential offensive plays. Otherwise, the fact they could run such a play does not make it the identity of the offense.

The system is designed based on personnel available, and that is an evolutionary process. Individual personnel skill sets may result in offensive scheme tendencies, but this evolution takes a heck of a lot longer than a season to build, and certainly longer than a week. It took a quarterback of Brady's skill and a lot of offseason work to make the receiving corps work at the level it did last year. Culpepper never had Brady's reputation as a field general, and never will. Bringing in a quarterback is even more difficult as you do not simply "go" from pocket passing to "run and shoot." Blocking schemes change, required lineman capabilities change, receiver reactions change and then you have to deal with the basic chemistry issues than any new quarterback will deal with on a new team. You do not plug a radically different quarterback into an established offense and say "adapt." That is a complete revamp of an offense, and I do not see the Pats losing Brady's supporting cast during his 12 months away from the game to add the personnel necessary to support a "has been." It is called bad fit, and given the fact Culpepper was victimized by defenses in the division when playing for Miami and his history of fumbling the ball when he had skills, I doubt Belichick shares your enthusiasm.

Last edited:
well put :D thx

It's actually even worse because Belichick actually traded up to get Jackson on top of just merely choosing him over the other guys I mentioned at our standard spot in the draft.

Yeah, but you were comparing him to Chad Jackson, not Cassel. Obviously you're correct that Chad didn't work out, but I was just having some fun at including Tavaris Jackson on any list that proves as much.

Yeah, but by choosing T Jackson over Cassel (if it would be the case that Jackson is a superior talent, which is possible), you'd be talking about the Pats having drafted someone in the 2nd round after trading up who is still on our roster-- because T Jackson would be on our roster today, while C Jackson isn't seen as being better than any player on our current roster, which is why C Jackson isn't on our roster today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3