PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. 25+ carries to ONE guy. (BJGE)

I think this is important.

BJGE ripped off some nice runs in the first series against NYG, and then Ridley or Woodhead is out their for the entire 2nd series. :confused: :confused:

As I mentioned in another post, they are passing 60% of the time, well above averages from previous years. I just don't get it. I don't agree with Woodhead being any more than a 3rd down back, but would love to see BJGE and Ridley be more of a focal point for this offense.

Last edited:
He's got to be injured right now. He's not half as quick as last year or hitting the right holes

Speaking of crowded backfield, sure glad we spent a 2nd on Shane Victorino

Seriously? That might be some of the craziest hyperbole I've ever read on this site. He's good, but come on.

It's even worse than when Kasmir said that BJGE is better than Adrian Peterson and Woodhead is better than Ray Rice.

What? Of course I never said BJGE was better than Peterson, and you're either a fool or a knave to say so. The context was their performance in Football Outsider's stat system, wherein BJGE was doing very well and Woodhead performed historically well. Neither BJGE nor especially Woodhead are doing anywhere near as well in that system this year, for what it's worth.

That's also visibly true on the field. Benny is regressing to a more pedestrian mean, and Woodhead has apparently lost his explosiveness.

Woodhead *did* have a great year last year, and the coaching staff obviously agreed, as he was the lead back in training camp and exhibition, getting many of what had been Benny's 1st down looks. He had a good preseason, averaging 7 ypc, but still looked somehow a little slower, and never broke a long run. Then he got injured. For whatever reason, injury or otherwise, he has not been the same back as he was last season, when he was truly extraordinary. So far this year, he's been very ordinary both statistically and visibly.

At 5'7 and barely 200 lbs, this little guy was the most explosive all-purpose threat in the entire league last year. He was a threat to take it to that house at any point on the field with the ball in his hands. Reminded me of a Marshall Faulk, Red Grange, or pass catching Barry Sanders in more ways than none. If he can become and stay healthy, I wonder how much of an impact he can have on this offense both in the running and receiving game. I don't think he's lost it, impossible with that type of talent.

Woodhead is solid, but Barry Sanders?? Really? BARRY SANDERS? :eek:

Saunders.......he meant Barry Saunders..(that's my story, anyway...and I'm stickin' to it, copper...)

images

If you dig out Reiss's numbers for completion percentage by receiver, Woodhead's look among the worst on the team this year.

I'd like to see some consistency in the backfield. I think it'd be good to get one or two specific RBs confidence and rhythm. I miss the days when Dillon would get 20-25 carries a game. I think the Patriots offensive line and tight ends are very good and match up well against any defensive line in the league.

A consistent running game will open up the deep play action passing game, the 5-10 yard routes in between the numbers, and ease the pressure on Brady.

I really do not understand why the Patriots are not running more. Maybe some one could explain it to me (serious question, not rhetorical).

I am equally as stumped. I thought perhaps it was because of injury (BJGE's turf toe, Woodhead's abdomen) but if that were the case, Ridley would have been out there a lot more, and as it was, he never saw the field in Washington which I thought was inexcusable.

One thought I did have was the frequent shuffling they've done with the OL, especially at center. No offense to Waters, but as professional as he has been, he is no Connolly, who is the most athletic RG we've had and who has done most of the trapping and kick outs because he is so fast (Neal was the best at this). Also, as strong a start as McDonald has had, he is no Koppen and has a long way to go before he can think the same thing Brady is thinking.

But this does not answer why so many red zone opportunities have been missed because instead of running it in, the choice was to pass, which is the most aggravating thing to me. Why do some stupid fancy trickery when simplicity gets you there every time? In the Redskins game, there were three missed opportunities (Welker, Hernandez, and an INT for Underwood).

I know I am complaining about a team that is 10-3 and will eventually be 13-3, but since that physical manhandling of the Jets team, we've gone right back to being a finesse team which doesn't work in the playoffs, as we've seen the last two years.

I've said this before and I'll say this again- as the legendary Bill Walsh says- to get to the superbowl, you have to win in more than one way.

Speaking of crowded backfield, sure glad we spent a 2nd on Shane Victorino

The Vereen pick was made primarily for the future, and when you think about it, it'd be hard to get a lot of reps in this pass happy offense when you have guys like the RB's he has in front of him:

--BJGE, coming off 1,000 yd season, decent blitz pickup, doesn't put the ball on the ground

--Faulk, our #1 option at blitz pickup, experienced, and a role playing 3rd down back

--Woodhead, shifty and small, change of pace back

With those 3 in front of you, and blitz pickup + knowledge of the plays being such a focal point, I'd imagine that Vereen will get some more reps and chances next yr.

I wouldn't worry about the pick or player for at least another year around this time of the season, then if he's not producing at all I would be concerned.

If you dig out Reiss's numbers for completion percentage by receiver, Woodhead's look among the worst on the team this year.

On top of that Woodhead is getting lit up on a pretty consistent basis trying to pickup the blitz. It's getting pretty bad out there for him lately.

Obviously, it's mainly due to his size, but still..not one of our better options in that role; and we all know how important that role is.

I was really down on him a few games ago, and thought that he looked horrible at times, but I think he's looked a lot better in the past few games for sure.

I still hate the selection as a KO returner, but I think it's due to lack of better options. With Edelman taking on a bigger role, Price being gone, and Vereen being inactive many times, there's really no one else that can field those without having to risk injury (McCourty etc).

Last edited:
I am equally as stumped. I thought perhaps it was because of injury (BJGE's turf toe, Woodhead's abdomen) but if that were the case, Ridley would have been out there a lot more, and as it was, he never saw the field in Washington which I thought was inexcusable.

One thought I did have was the frequent shuffling they've done with the OL, especially at center. No offense to Waters, but as professional as he has been, he is no Connolly, who is the most athletic RG we've had and who has done most of the trapping and kick outs because he is so fast (Neal was the best at this). Also, as strong a start as McDonald has had, he is no Koppen and has a long way to go before he can think the same thing Brady is thinking.

But this does not answer why so many red zone opportunities have been missed because instead of running it in, the choice was to pass, which is the most aggravating thing to me. Why do some stupid fancy trickery when simplicity gets you there every time? In the Redskins game, there were three missed opportunities (Welker, Hernandez, and an INT for Underwood).

I know I am complaining about a team that is 10-3 and will eventually be 13-3, but since that physical manhandling of the Jets team, we've gone right back to being a finesse team which doesn't work in the playoffs, as we've seen the last two years.

I've said this before and I'll say this again- as the legendary Bill Walsh says- to get to the superbowl, you have to win in more than one way.

I agree entirely with your point, and have been disappointed with the overall ineffectiveness of the running game so far this yr. And that's what it pretty much is, ineffectiveness; at least on a consistent enough level.

That said, we are only rushing 2 carries less per game than last yr. Those 2 carries (ave. rushing attempts per game) would put us in the top 10 in terms of teams who have the most rushing attempts per game.

It's the difference between 26 (now) per game, and 28 (top 10 rushing attempts per game for teams), so it's not quite as bad as I thought in terms of rushing attempts.

We still rush per game more than Green Bay, New Orleans, NYGiants, Dallas, and even the Tennessee Titans (who you'd think would run more)---not to mention numerous other teams. It's pretty much middle of the pack in the late teen's, which isn't great but there's a very small window in terms of rushing attempts for the top 10-20.

In terms of how often we rush, it's 40% rush to 60% pass this year. That is down from 45% rush and 55% pass last year. I think this is a somewhat reasonable percentage, when Brady is obviously our best weapon. I believe that the numbers will tend to even out a bit during the next 3 games, and it will be somewhere around 42% rush and 58% pass for 2011.

The high majority of the NFL is somewhere between 40 and 45 percent rush, so it's not like N.England is that far off...

As for rushing yardage (on average) per game, the NEP are at 105, which again, puts them right in the middle of the pack. To show example, teams with a reputation for running the ball such as Atlanta (111 per gm) and Pittsburgh (114 per gm) are pretty much right around the same window.

One of the biggest problems is the inconsistancy of the run, and the shuffling of various RB's, which makes it hard for anyone to get a hot hand.

If this team plans on going anywhere it will have to develop a better TOP (currently 27th in the NFL), which would help by running the ball.

I think he's very valuable as the hurry up offense RB. He seems to slice up 5-7 yard runs in that role.

I think the mistake you make is in assuming facts not in evidence. If simplicity in fact got us in there every time believe me, we'd be opting for that approach. If Bill believed that this teams best option was to run the ball, you'd hear him on the sidelines extolling his OC to run it, Billy, run it. Instead what you hear is get up, get up...throw it, throw it.

This team is all about creating mismatches and exploiting opponents defenses and doing what it does best. Opposing DC's know that the kids are not yet trusted in pass protection so if they're in there they know we're running. Faulk has lost a step. Benny isn't the kind of all world talent who can compensate for injury. And defenses aren't caught off guard by Woodhead after last season.

And it's also still about winning one game at a time here. You seem to want them to use games to practice becoming something they aren't so they can be ready for the playoffs. Well, they have to get there first and given the situation on defense that that continues to limit TOP means increasingly being who they are, a pass first offense led by TFB replete with a couple of mismatch receiving nightmares who when in synch and clicking on all cylinders seemingly can't be stopped. So if they are going to practice anything heading for the playoffs, it's going to be insuring that passing offense remains in synch and continues to click.

Last edited:
I think Tiny played his best overall game this past week against the Redskins.

I agree with the poster that said Woodhead looked thicker and perhaps a bit slower! I would like to see him get the ball more against Denver.

I agree entirely with your point, and have been disappointed with the overall ineffectiveness of the running game so far this yr. And that's what it pretty much is, ineffectiveness; at least on a consistent enough level.

That said, we are only rushing 2 carries less per game than last yr. Those 2 carries (ave. rushing attempts per game) would put us in the top 10 in terms of teams who have the most rushing attempts per game.

It's the difference between 26 (now) per game, and 28 (top 10 rushing attempts per game for teams), so it's not quite as bad as I thought in terms of rushing attempts.

We still rush per game more than Green Bay, New Orleans, NYGiants, Dallas, and even the Tennessee Titans (who you'd think would run more)---not to mention numerous other teams. It's pretty much middle of the pack in the late teen's, which isn't great but there's a very small window in terms of rushing attempts for the top 10-20.

In terms of how often we rush, it's 40% rush to 60% pass this year. That is down from 45% rush and 55% pass last year. I think this is a somewhat reasonable percentage, when Brady is obviously our best weapon. I believe that the numbers will tend to even out a bit during the next 3 games, and it will be somewhere around 42% rush and 58% pass for 2011.

The high majority of the NFL is somewhere between 40 and 45 percent rush, so it's not like N.England is that far off...

As for rushing yardage (on average) per game, the NEP are at 105, which again, puts them right in the middle of the pack. To show example, teams with a reputation for running the ball such as Atlanta (111 per gm) and Pittsburgh (114 per gm) are pretty much right around the same window.

One of the biggest problems is the inconsistancy of the run, and the shuffling of various RB's, which makes it hard for anyone to get a hot hand.

If this team plans on going anywhere it will have to develop a better TOP (currently 27th in the NFL), which would help by running the ball.

I wasn't aware of this- thanks for pointing this out; especially the numbers that show that we aren't that far off from last year.

So I think that you are right- it's the inconsistency and shuffling, and other posters have pointed this out as well and have mentioned its time to stick with just one RB and allow him to develop a rhythm and a feel for the game, a feel where the holes are developing instead of throwing cold legs into there all the time.

I think the mistake you make is in assuming facts not in evidence. If simplicity in fact got us in there every time believe me, we'd be opting for that approach. If Bill believed that this teams best option was to run the ball, you'd hear him on the sidelines extolling his OC to run it, Billy, run it. Instead what you hear is get up, get up...throw it, throw it.

This team is all about creating mismatches and exploiting opponents defenses and doing what it does best. Opposing DC's know that the kids are not yet trusted in pass protection so if they're in there they know we're running. Faulk has lost a step. Benny isn't the kind of all world talent who can compensate for injury. And defenses aren't caught off guard by Woodhead after last season.

And it's also still about winning one game at a time here. You seem to want them to use games to practice becoming something they aren't so they can be ready for the playoffs. Well, they have to get there first and given the situation on defense that that continues to limit TOP means increasingly being who they are, a pass first offense led by TFB replete with a couple of mismatch receiving nightmares who when in synch and clicking on all cylinders seemingly can't be stopped. So if they are going to practice anything heading for the playoffs, it's going to be insuring that passing offense remains in synch and continues to click.

For the most part yes, but consider how good our play action is (I'm willing to bet that the top five longest plays of this year all came out of the play action). It therefore goes to reason that we should have more of the one-back formation than the empty formation (which I utterly hate).

Also when we are at the goal line, and especially when the defense doesn't stack the box, there's absolutely no reason not to rush it in especially when we have one of the best short yardage RB in BJGE.

Disagree here. There was a 2nd half series where an excellent series of running plays with a pass or 2 mixed in got us around the 5. Suddenly, it's pass, pass, pass which yielded a 4th and goal and a FG. What was especially egregious about that 5 yds to go series was that we lined up in an empty backfield thereby eliminating any need to defend the run. With a short field to defend, the filthy Redskins could assign their back 7 defenders to double where they may without threat of a run. Very poor offensive game plan in this instance. My bad if Brady re-assigned the called play(s).

P.S. Just now saw Psycho's point above and agree. No play action threat concedes an unforced advantage to the enemy.

Last edited:
Bad thing for Danny is that it's really crowded in the backfield, and now with Faulk returning his touches will go down if Faulk stays healthy.

That said the guy is awesome. He gives it his all and makes things happen on determination alone.

That is definitely part of it. There are only so many touches. With two rookie RB's, his touches were going to go down. RB's usually need touches to get into a rhythm, even if they're a third down back. He's also been hurt. I'm assuming that BB tries to bring the Law Firm back next year, which means Woodhead could be in a similar situation.

On top of that Woodhead is getting lit up on a pretty consistent basis trying to pickup the blitz. It's getting pretty bad out there for him lately.

Obviously, it's mainly due to his size, but still..not one of our better options in that role; and we all know how important that role is.

I was really down on him a few games ago, and thought that he looked horrible at times, but I think he's looked a lot better in the past few games for sure.

I still hate the selection as a KO returner, but I think it's due to lack of better options. With Edelman taking on a bigger role, Price being gone, and Vereen being inactive many times, there's really no one else that can field those without having to risk injury (McCourty etc).

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I think Woodhead's much better at blitz pickup than people give him credit for. He had two tough games in that regard: NYJ (gave up a safety) and KC. Like any blocker, you notice the failures much more than the successes. Ironically, his biggest trouble seems to be with guys that get lower than he does and crawl/bull rush through him. But overall, I doubt Brady would want him out in the no huddle if he couldn't trust him.

You can't blame Woodhead for the most of the incompletes. Brady has routinely thrown him and all of the other RB's bad passes this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back