PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reaction to Round 1 ... What picks made you say WTF???

I was so happy when the Packers took Van Ness. I don’t get the appeal.

PHI has the best first round, given their resources getting TWO top 10 defensive GA players to join their other GA players drafted last year.

If Carter had no off-the-filed issues he would have been drafted before anyone but the QB's.

Smith was an unbelievable bargain. I await learning about some issue of which we are unaware.

PHI has elevated its roster to the best in the NFL. Whether they can beat Mahomes or another AFC top gun is still at issue.

Houston's back to back picks of Stroud and Anderson trumps Philly...

I think everyone poo-pooing taking a RB who can catch the ball and make explosive plays is missing the recent changes in the NFL.
If you take a RB in the first round, you get to add a fifth year option, tag him cheap in year 6; Saquon Barkley will be a cap hit of 10.1M this year with no dead money. Then you could tag him again or cut him after 6 years

This is much cheaper than re-upping a quality 2nd or 3rd pick. Henry is a 16M+ cap hit this year, Kamara restructured to an 8+M cap hit, but 24M in dead money. Dalvin Cook is a 14M cap hit. Nick Chubb is a 14M cap hit. Mixon is just south of 13M and if they cut him, they eat 5.5 million.

If you think a guy is a lock for success and you can control a lower salary for 6 years without negotiating, that is not a bad place to be.

Last edited:
I get that Robinson was highly touted, as was Saquon and Zeke, etc, etc...The NFL is now passing game oriented...These bad teams taking non passing game players is a waste. You can find almost equal value anywhere on day 2 or 3...Honestly Gibbs seems more like a modern day weapon to me...They could turn into Barkley and Kamara, its not elevating the teams imo
Robinson is LIKELY to contribute MORE than EXPECTED for any player that could have been drafted at his spot.

Almost everyone had Gibbs slotted in the last 4 picks of the draft. And, he is an excellent prospect and SHOULD have been a top 15 pick in another era.

BTW, the NFC values runners much more than the AFC.

Robinson is LIKELY to contribute MORE than EXPECTED for any player that could have been drafted at his spot.

Almost everyone had Gibbs slotted in the last 4 picks of the draft. And, he is an excellent prospect and SHOULD have been a top 15 pick in another era.

Because the QB's in the AFC are much better than the QB's in the NFC.

Perhaps in terms of draft capital, but not cap space. Of the top 6 RB cap hits in 2023, 4 of the top 6, including 1 and 2- are in the AFC. Most of the big hits are guys that are drafted after the first round and re-up with their team after their second or third year.

I thought Houston should have went with njigba after selecting stroud and trading away cooks, plus the osu connection

Houston's back to back picks of Stroud and Anderson trumps Philly...
OK, a team with 2 picks in the top 12 got better players.

All they needed to do sut there and do nothing and that would have been the case, Yes, I liked their trade up.

I still believe that PHI did much better in terms of expected value, by far.

Does it make sense that something like this happened:

1. Washington was never expecting Gonzalez to be there when they picked.
2. They put massive resources into scouting the guys they did expect to be available.
3. By the time their pick was up and Gonzalez was still there, they had already invested so much into scouting their guy that they had talked themselves into their guy being better.

Raiders look like they got Clelin Ferrell 2.0.

Washington talking a 166 pound CB. A GM is asking to get fired.

Lions took another random LB like when they took Jarrad Davis. Taking another RB.

I think everyone poo-pooing taking a RB who can catch the ball and make explosive plays is missing the recent changes in the NFL.
it has more to do with when they took them, not that they took them... at 8 and 12...

Washington talking a 166 pound CB. A GM is asking to get fired.
I dunno man. The kid was rated as a first rounder, but with Gonzalez there and all 3-4 WRs there, to me, that's where they should have gone. I am with you that he's rail thin. Clearly, a lot of experts had him rated high, so I don't think it's a fireable offense.

Gibbs so early (I did like him for the Pats though)
Forbes before Gonzalez
Richardson could be another Trey Lance ??

it has more to do with when they took them, not that they took them... at 8 and 12...
I think is is pretty straightforward. If Atlanta doesn’t start getting wins this year in a weak division, the head coach and gm are getting fired. There is no long term view. The feeling is that Robinson helps that whole offense, especially Desmond Ridder. They can run a lot more read option.

In Detroit- Swift had 48 catches and his long was 25 yards. They were a borderline playoff team and want more explosive play from their receiving back. They are going to let Swift go at the end of this year. He will likely go extra hard knowing he needs to prove something in a contact year.

None. If the team likes/values the player, then select them..

PHI has the best first round, given their resources getting TWO top 10 defensive GA players to join their other GA players drafted last year.

If Carter had no off-the-filed issues he would have been drafted before anyone but the QB's.

Smith was an unbelievable bargain. I await learning about some issue of which we are unaware.

PHI has elevated its roster to the best in the NFL. Whether they can beat Mahomes or another AFC top gun is still at issue.
Smith has a pec injury Cousin.
DW Toys

I think is is pretty straightforward. If Atlanta doesn’t start getting wins this year in a weak division, the head coach and gm are getting fired. There is no long term view. The feeling is that Robinson helps that whole offense, especially Desmond Ridder. They can run a lot more read option.

In Detroit- Swift had 48 catches and his long was 25 yards. They were a borderline playoff team and want more explosive play from their receiving back. They are going to let Swift go at the end of this year. He will likely go extra hard knowing he needs to prove something in a contact year.
And neither of those reasons gainsays my comment... Both could have been had later in the first round... The Robinson pick was known for two weeks, at a minimum... And the Detroit rb pick came out of left field...

But hey if you like the picks, then cool... They just made me go huh???

I thought da Bears choosing Darnell Wright instead of local hero Skoronski was very shocking; that prevented the Titties from drafting Wright, their own local hero...

And Ii don't know if I was more shocked or disappointed when Arizona took Paris Johnson at #6 and began the slow squeeze on LTs...

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back