PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reaction to Round 1 ... What picks made you say WTF???

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So last year we were firmly entrenched in the Pole Position for round 1 WTF picks... While Cole Strange was decent, BB & Co could have done better... so it made ya go wtf were they thinking...

Who this year fits that role?

My Top Three WTF picks are

Colts - Anthony Richardson, QB Florida ... Colts choose a QB from a school that has blessed the NFL with QB talent such as Danny Wuerffel, Kyle Trask, Tim Tebow, Jesse Palmer, Cam Newton, Rex Grossman, Jeff Driskel, Jacoby Brissett and Brock Berlin... A real head scratcher to me... 22 starts, 17 passing tds... I just don't get it... He's got to be a two or three year developmental project

Lions - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama ... From what I've read, good, versatile pass catching back... but 12th overall? eek... 5'11, less than 200 pounds? hes gonna get knocked around a bit unless hes quicker than he looks... but im not a scout, so opinions on that assessment are welcome... 12th overall? thats a high cost for a guy who's listed as a borderline round 1 player... most likely a day 2 prospect, considering how devalued the running back position

Jete - Will McDonald, Edge, Iowa... so the jete take McDonald with Myles Murphy still on the board? i should be gobsmacked, but...

Honorable mentions
Eagles - Jalen Carter... I personally think this kid is messed up between the ears... being involved in the death of a teammate in a stupid racing stunt has to have long term repercussions to an individuals mental health... yeah, he has awesome talent... question is can he harness it? risky business

Bills - Dalton Kincaid ... Good player... but concerns are back injuries and is not a good blocker... Mayer was and is available... so it kinda makes me go huh?

What draft picks made you do a double take last night?

Gibbs, great player, wrong location. Still thought he was a 1st rounder for somebody else late.

Campbell, love the player, did they attempt to trade back into 30s to get him?

Nolan Smith, again location. Already stacked in the front, thought Porter was a mu h better fit considering Carter was already picked.

Green Bay, VanNessa. On record as didn’t like him in the first round. No love for Love?

PHI has the best first round, given their resources getting TWO top 10 defensive GA players to join their other GA players drafted last year.

If Carter had no off-the-filed issues he would have been drafted before anyone but the QB's.

Smith was an unbelievable bargain. I await learning about some issue of which we are unaware.

PHI has elevated its roster to the best in the NFL. Whether they can beat Mahomes or another AFC top gun is still at issue.

So last year we were firmly entrenched in the Pole Position for round 1 WTF picks... While Cole Strange was decent, BB & Co could have done better... so it made ya go wtf were they thinking...

Colts - Anthony Richardson, QB Florida ... Colts choose a QB from a school that has blessed the NFL with QB talent such as Danny Wuerffel, Kyle Trask, Tim Tebow, Jesse Palmer, Cam Newton, Rex Grossman, Jeff Driskel, Jacoby Brissett and Brock Berlin... A real head scratcher to me... 22 starts, 17 passing tds... I just don't get it... He's got to be a two or three year developmental project

Lions - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama ... From what I've read, good, versatile pass catching back... but 12th overall? eek... 5'11, less than 200 pounds? hes gonna get knocked around a bit unless hes quicker than he looks... but im not a scout, so opinions on that assessment are welcome... 12th overall? thats a high cost for a guy who's listed as a borderline round 1 player... most likely a day 2 prospect, considering how devalued the running back position

Jete - Will McDonald, Edge, Iowa... so the jete take McDonald with Myles Murphy still on the board? i should be gobsmacked, but...

Honorable mentions
Eagles - Jalen Carter... I personally think this kid is messed up between the ears... being involved in the death of a teammate in a stupid racing stunt has to have long term repercussions to an individuals mental health... yeah, he has awesome talent... question is can he harness it? risky business

Bills - Dalton Kincaid ... Good player... but concerns are back injuries and is not a good blocker... Mayer was and is available... so it kinda makes me go huh?

Jalen Carter is a risk that a good team like the Eagles can take. Reminds me of things the top teams like the Patriots, or 49ers, etc. used to do. A luxury, but if you hit, it's what keeps you on top for a long time to come.

Kincaid can be a matchup problem for teams in the way Kelce is. He's easily the best pass catcher of the bunch. If he's used right, he's a great pick for the Bills.

Jalen Carter is a risk that a good team like the Eagles can take. Reminds me of things the top teams like the Patriots, or 49ers, etc. used to do. A luxury, but if you hit, it's what keeps you on top for a long time to come.

Kincaid can be a matchup problem for teams in the way Kelce is. He's easily the best pass catcher of the bunch. If he's used right, he's a great pick for the Bills.
Good points about both... but thats kinda why i used them as honorable mentions, and not real wtf picks...

PHI has the best first round, given their resources getting TWO top 10 defensive GA players to join their other GA players drafted last year.

If Carter had no off-the-filed issues he would have been drafted before anyone but the QB's.

Smith was an unbelievable bargain. I await learning about some issue of which we are unaware.

PHI has elevated its roster to the best in the NFL. Whether they can beat Mahomes or another AFC top gun is still at issue.
i have been less than impressed with just about every Georgia pick not named Nick Chubb... but i do readily admit that there are guys out there who i dont know who went to Georgia who have done well... Guess I am biased in a slightly negative way because of our Wynn & Michel picks...

Lions and the Falcons taking running backs in the first round was pretty much on Brand. Two of the dumbest picks ive seen so far, regardless if the players turn out great

Lions and the Falcons taking running backs in the first round was pretty much on Brand. Two of the dumbest picks ive seen so far, regardless if the players turn out great
the Falcons taking Robinson has been out there for at least two weeks... everyone knew it was a done deal... think they dropped the news, which kinda insinuated early on that they were possibly interested in moving down

Last edited:
didn't really make me say WTF, but the more I saw of broderick jones off the field, the more I was happy he landed in pittsburg

loved him on the field.......but something about him screams bust to me

the Falcons taking Robinson has been out there for at least two weeks... everyone knew it was a done deal... think they dropped the news, shich kinda insinuated that they were possibly interested in moving down
Then theyve been stupid for 2 weeks...But the good news is, good fantasy spot for Bijan!

This is a bad take, friend. Gibbs is a reach for sure, but Robinson was touted highly, with people using words like "generational talent". Just about everyone had him ranked top 10 pick, so 8th is not a stretch at all. You're on the money with Gibbs at 12, he was a late 1 or day 2 pick.

Detroit completely ****ed up their 1st round. Their second 1st round pick of LB Jack Campbell was the worst pick of the day. The RB at #12 was dumb too.

The weakness of their passing game is intermediate passing over the middle... Kincaid will help with that. Plus I love the dual TE action.

Otherwise, honestly I don't like Bryce Young at #1 overall. His overall skills are off the charts but I can't get past his height (5'10"), he's just too short/small. Anthony Richardson is major project in terms of overall quarterback growth but he's immensely talented too and he has the requisite size.

Bijan Robinson to Atlanta at #8... I don't like it and it doesn't seem to make any sense for that team (they already got a nice RB in last year's draft - Tyler Allgeier - in the 5th round).

The run on WRs (picks 20-23) was fun... all great picks for those respective teams.

The Lions far and away. They drafted like it was 1993 taking a RB and an ILB. For a team that was on the brink of making the playoffs they didn't seem to make the most out of two first round picks.

Honorable mentions

The Forbes pick was the one for me. Gonzalez was still there, and they take a kid that is skinny. Really eff'n skinny. 6'1" and 166lbs, he's going to get pushed around a lot. I think they could have traded back and got him or taken a more impact player. Any one of the 3 WRs would have been an improvement for them.

Detroit completely ****ed up their 1st round. Their second 1st round pick of LB Jack Campbell was the worst pick of the day. The RB at #12 was dumb too.
Spot on... i agree with you here... with 2 picks in the first, they had ample ammo to move those picks around, to quite possibly stockpile an additional first for next year and still gotten both those players by the end of day 2... instead they wasted the opportunity... a long term team building strategy isnt in their game plan apparently...

This is a bad take, friend. Gibbs is a reach for sure, but Robinson was touted highly, with people using words like "generational talent". Just about everyone had him ranked top 10 pick, so 8th is not a stretch at all. You're on the money with Gibbs at 12, he was a late 1 or day 2 pick.
I get that Robinson was highly touted, as was Saquon and Zeke, etc, etc...The NFL is now passing game oriented...These bad teams taking non passing game players is a waste. You can find almost equal value anywhere on day 2 or 3...Honestly Gibbs seems more like a modern day weapon to me...They could turn into Barkley and Kamara, its not elevating the teams imo

The Forbes pick was the one for me. Gonzalez was still there, and they take a kid that is skinny. Really eff'n skinny. 6'1" and 166lbs, he's going to get pushed around a lot. I think they could have traded back and got him or taken a more impact player. Any one of the 3 WRs would have been an improvement for them.
interesting... I had not considered that... though, now that I think about it Charlie Campbell said his weight was a red flag

I get that Robinson was highly touted, as was Saquon and Zeke, etc, etc...The NFL is now passing game oriented...These bad teams taking non passing game players is a waste. You can find almost equal value anywhere on day 2 or 3...Honestly Gibbs seems more like a modern day weapon to me...They could turn into Barkley and Kamara, its not elevating the teams imo
I need a shrug emoji here, @Ian.

I guess we will see. I don't think you can underestimate great RBs still. It is a passing game, but at some point you still have to run the ball.

I need a shrug emoji here, @Ian.

I guess we will see. I don't think you can underestimate great RBs still. It is a passing game, but at some point you still have to run the ball.
Agree, but I think its been proven that is more scheme/offensive line oriented. Guys all over the draft come out of nowhere and dominate. Again, if you tell me Bijan turns into AP, id believe you...But on a team that stinks...It doesnt matter

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back