PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady recovery behind schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
many medical authorities and many players have said that a acl, mcl rebuild, is more than a one year thing. Oh they admit that they could walk and run sooner, but the ability to accelerate rapidly, make a cut, and in the case of a qb to side-step, dance, step-up, and in general be "elusive" in the face of a pass rush is delayed from returning for another half year or so.

One of brady's talents was that in-the-pocket elusiveness, that made pass rushers miss. While never a running threat, he could make that first step of acceleration, and get going, to get away, even if he then didn't have much foot speed. That is another talent that will probably be missing for 18 months or so.

The question has never really been can tom brady come back; but how long it takes for the tom brady that we all want and remember, to re-emerge. The qb who dances in the pocket, side-stepping or stepping-up, to avoid a sack while waiting for the wrs to get open, to teh last second, rather then an immobile, plodding, sack-able guy ?

If any of what tom curran is saying has any validity, that time may not be in the 2010 season at all. We may have to await the 2011 season. :confused3:

2011????????

From what I understand of the Players Associaition contract, a player can NOT be tagged unless they will be a starter. It is to protect the player from being held on too and just sat...

So in order for the Pats to even Franchise MC and to get anything of value, Brady can not be "ready to start" week one...

Matt has to be presented as the starter for the 2009 season in order to franchise him.

Could you show us where it says that in the CBA?

Many medical authorities and many players have said that a ACL, MCL rebuild, is more than a one year thing. Oh they admit that they could walk and run sooner, but the ability to accelerate rapidly, make a cut, and in the case of a QB to side-step, dance, step-up, and in general be "elusive" in the face of a pass rush is delayed from returning for another half year or so.

Where have you heard that? Having been through it, I can tell you that side-stepping, stepping up, and just moving around in general the way a QB needs is a lot LESS taxing on the knee than making a cut or accelerating rapidly....

One of Brady's talents was that in-the-pocket elusiveness, that made pass rushers miss. While never a running threat, he could make that first step of acceleration, and get going, to get away, even if he then didn't have much foot speed. That is another talent that will probably be missing for 18 months or so.

Again, where did you hear that? Because I believe that is pure speculation on your part.

The question has never really been can Tom Brady come back; but how long it takes for the Tom Brady that we all want and remember, to re-emerge. The QB who dances in the pocket, side-stepping or stepping-up, to avoid a sack while waiting for the WRs to get open, to teh last second, rather then an immobile, plodding, sack-able guy ?

If any of what Tom Curran is saying has any validity, that time may not be in the 2010 season at all. We may have to await the 2011 season. :confused3:

AZ - you've got your math wrong. Sorry bud. Not only was Curran's source wrong about most of what he said, but your speculation is off also. If the Pats had to wait until the 2011 season, Brady wouldn't be on the team anymore. Why? because that is 3 seasons away yet. You skipped the 2009/2010 season and the 2010/2011 season. Also, the things you mentioned do not put as much stress on the knee as running or cutting.

People, it could be worse. Just think if immediately after tanking the season yet again, missing the playoffs, Brady collapsed in the shower.

From what I understand of the Players Associaition contract, a player can NOT be tagged unless they will be a starter. It is to protect the player from being held on too and just sat...

So in order for the Pats to even Franchise MC and to get anything of value, Brady can not be "ready to start" week one...

Matt has to be presented as the starter for the 2009 season in order to franchise him.

Where is that stated? Why would it need to be stated in the first place. What team would sign a player to the average of the top 5 players at his position and then make him a back up? I don't think Al Davis or Matt Millen would do that.

The Patriots have absolutely no incentive to let anyone (not even, and probably especially, Matt Cassel) know how TB is really progressing, so I think we can expect them to be releasing conflicting and false stories left and right in the coming weeks. We shouldn't believe anything we hear or read.

If they're trying to trade Matt, it would be better if the other teams think that maybe TB isn't doing so well, so they'll think that they have to offer a better deal to pry him loose. If they know that Brady's on track to be 100% by opening day, they'll also know that we're more anxious to get rid of Matt's salary and think they can offer less.

Last edited:

I don't think so, but I don't pretend to be an expert in the CBA. Chapter and verse, please.

It doesn't state anywhere in the CBA that a player must be a starter in order to be tagged. How silly is that?? If the Patriots choose they can list him as their starter on the offseason depth chart. How can that be proven true or not??

Re: Curran Article on Brady

The scar tissue and looseness conditions would not necessarily cause anything visible. He could appear to walk fine and still have these internal conditions. It makes sense that he is behind schedule because of the infection. This delays PT and so delays getting back rangoe of motion. So he is "behind schedule" compared to average recovery without infection. But what this will mean for his football career is largely uncertain. The probability of speedy recovery is lowered, so he might be on the longer side of hte recovery projection. The challenge for the Pats is how to manage this uncertainty? They are fortunate to have the luxury of Cassel's success and the option he gives them, but it comes at a cost.

Are you a doctor....or do you just play one on TV....or just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?? ;)

People, it could be worse. Just think if immediately after tanking the season yet again, missing the playoffs, Brady collapsed in the shower.

:rofl: That struck me as insanely funny just now, the mental picture.

I just read the entire CBA, and saw no mention of it... I got that from a few ESPN journalists, so... I guess bad on me for believing ESPN is worth anything when it comes to journalistic abilities.

However, I do think it should be in there, as it makes sense and protects a players ability to make a lot of money.

Cassel being designated as a franchise player dramatically hurts his ability to earn income when he will not even be a starter ( which is what you have to be in order to continue to make money, and increase your income )

Surprised there isn't a clause that protects players from anal owners... Imagine Al Davis Franchising a player simply to mess with the player and sit him on the bench for 3 straight years, sure the guys makes some money... but sitting on a bench for 3 years kills his future ability to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft