PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian Rapoport: Bill Belichick's fate not yet decided, how rest of season goes will determine direction

If anyone needs a reason why the team is so bad and Bill must go at least as a GM. Just go to the above and look at our drafts.

Hint. It's not good.

No one can realistically sit here and tell me with a straight face that Bill put together a great team and the talent level on offense is comparable to what we had even say during our 2nd dynasty. Zappe is playing better than Mac and the results are the same.

The team doesn't have enough raw talent to compete with the rest of the NFL on offense. Bill hasn't drafted a pro bowl skill position players since Gronkowski.

The roster talent has been in steady decline since 2018 (and even that year the decline was evident). And Bill has drafted horribly since then to re-stock the roster

And the defense is what it has been since 2019. We feast against the dregs of the NFL but then when we face a real team we get destroyed.

For some reason since about 2019 Bill decided he wants to build a team that keeps other teams under 20, runs the ball and plays conservatively and wins 20-17. You will beat a lot of bad teams that way. But just like 2019 - now. It's a very low ceiling sort of team.

Last edited:
Say Bill stays. Even if Mac/zappe suck. What of how Bill handled them gives you confidence he will do everything he can to put the rookie prospect in the best position to succeed?

Mac or zappe may never have been the guy. But no one can tell me this is how you best develop a rookie QB.

3 OCs in 3 years (one of which was a DC) then go and Surround them with mid talent and expect them to make it work while everything is collapsing around you. Miami got waddle/hill. Niners got Deebo/kittle/mccafrey, eagles got AJ brown, Pat's got juju/parker. Something doesn't fit...

Those who want Belichick to stay seem to forget that this is only the beginning of the process

A team finishing with one of the worst records in the league and getting a new quarterback is starting over. This isn't about next year or the year after, but a multi-year process. A new coach will have to be brought in at some point, better to be at the beginning. (And this isn't even getting into Belichick's unwillingness to give up GM responsibilities)

The time is now

Last edited:
Say Bill stays. Even if Mac/zappe suck. What of how Bill handled them gives you confidence he will do everything he can to put the rookie prospect in the best position to succeed?
First you need a QB with the skills to succeed. Like quick thinking and an arm that defenses fear.

Mahomes made perfect downfield throws yesterday.
Mac or zappe may never have been the guy. But no one can tell me this is how you best develop a rookie QB.
Thats where Mickey D comes in.
3 OCs in 3 years (one of which was a DC) then go and Surround them with mid talent and expect them to make it work while everything is collapsing around you. Miami got waddle/hill. Niners got Deebo/kittle/mccafrey, eagles got AJ brown, Pat's got juju/parker. Something doesn't fit...
The last time NE made the post season it was with Mickey D at OC.

BB stays and Mickey D comes back.

The Boston media is looking pretty bad right now. First Volin started the fire in the off-season, only to have Curran cowardly show up as he usually does to “confirm” that “Bill has been on the hot seat for years”. Then we have the “fate has been decided” from Curran to what we have today. Only Bob, Jon and Bill know what’s going on.
I believe that Josh McDaniel's is coming back with BB in 24.

Those who want Belichick to stay seem to forget that this is only the beginning of the process

A team finishing with one of the worst records in the league and getting a new quarterback is starting over. This isn't about next year or the year after, but a multi-year process. A new coach will have to be brought in at some point, better to be at the beginning. (And this isn't even getting into Belichick's unwillingness to give up GM responsibilities)

The time is now
Absolutely agreed. I'll add though our process can be shorter if that QB shows early on like CJ stroud has. That he can lead this team and be the reason they are winning. Speaking for myself I believe the new HC and GM are already in the organization. Now RK will have to do the dog n pony show and interview candidates but to me.. it's Mayo HC and Groh GM, with maybe Wolfe/Zeigler as Assistant GM.

Absolutely agreed. I'll add though our process can be shorter if that QB shows early on like CJ stroud has. That he can lead this team and be the reason they are winning. Speaking for myself I believe the new HC and GM are already in the organization. Now RK will have to do the dog n pony show and interview candidates but to me.. it's Mayo HC and Groh GM, with maybe Wolfe/Zeigler as Assistant GM.
If you want Mayo just keep BB.

The time is now
I think there’s a chance Bill stays and it’s a transitory period where after a couple of years he retires and hands it over to Mayo who keeps the train running on the same tracks. At least that’s what I feel like they had envisioned in their minds at the start of the year. Obviously they expected the season to go better but they also expected Mac to play a lot better with an OC and system he prefers back, not play a lot worse. Zappe is somehow an improvement but still not that great. I can see the logic in starting over at QB and spending cap dollars around them and trying again, but it’s a harder sell for fans.

That said, if they dump Bill and bring on Bobby Slowik or whoever and he sucks, and Bill goes to LA and wins, then the fans will turn on Kraft in an instant and be angry that he was so stupid for letting Bill go without a sure thing in hand.

I think there’s a chance Bill stays and it’s a transitory period where after a couple of years he retires and hands it over to Mayo who keeps the train running on the same tracks. At least that’s what I feel like they had envisioned in their minds at the start of the year. Obviously they expected the season to go better but they also expected Mac to play a lot better with an OC and system he prefers back, not play a lot worse. Zappe is somehow an improvement but still not that great. I can see the logic in starting over at QB and spending cap dollars around them and trying again, but it’s a harder sell for fans.

That said, if they dump Bill and bring on Bobby Slowik or whoever and he sucks, and Bill goes to LA and wins, then the fans will turn on Kraft in an instant and be angry that he was so stupid for letting Bill go without a sure thing in hand.
There are no sure things in life (except death and taxes, I suppose).

First you need a QB with the skills to succeed. Like quick thinking and an arm that defenses fear.

Mahomes made perfect downfield throws yesterday.

Thats where Mickey D comes in.

The last time NE made the post season it was with Mickey D at OC.

BB stays and Mickey D comes back.

if we keep Bill, i wouldnt be opposed to this. McDaniels may be a horrid coach. but he got 7 wins out of Cam Newton. and made Mac Jones look serviceable getting 10 wins and a post-season berth.

the guy is a good OC.

if we keep Bill, i wouldnt be opposed to this. McDaniels may be a horrid coach. but he got 7 wins out of Cam Newton. and made Mac Jones look serviceable getting 10 wins and a post-season berth.

the guy is a good OC.
Agreed. I would absolutely be fine with Mickey D coming back as OC.

Sensible. I believe there has been a mutual agreement. Both men Robert and Bill know it's over. No hard feelings at all. How can there be right. Out of respect for Bill, and everything he's done and meant for the organization I believe he leaves on his own terms however but it's after January 7th. No trade, just an agreement contractually to end his current contract. Just my thoughts.

Best defense while 3-11 is a pyrrhic victory.
It's also a dumb stat. The defense played good against mediocre offenses many of which are on their back up QB (Colts, Giants). Once you look at the playoff teams on our schedule

Eagles: 25 points
Dolphins 24 points and 31 points
Cowboys: 38 points
Bills: 25 points
Chiefs 27 points.

We are averaging them dropping 28 points against us.

We beat up on the Colts, Giants, Chargers and to an extent the Steelers. 2 of those teams didn't have their starting QB, one just got their coach fired, and the Steelers are currently on a three loss streak against mediocre teams like us, the Cardinals and the Colts basically blowing up any chance they have at the playoffs. And all but one of those were losses anyways.

William? You mean Bill? If so, I question your premise that every team will have him as their top option.
Yes Bill. How many coaches are getting fired this year? Will any of them have as much clout as Bill?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back