PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's how clueless Tom Curran is

The beat writers like Curran are way, way better than the Old Days. I remember going to the Patriots practices at Bryant College and checking out the sports writers. They just hung out together and gossiped, but I never once saw any of them actually watch the practices!

As far as I could tell, they were a bunch of lazy, inept drunks who did not know or care about football (probably baseball nerds). They would just parrot the press releases about who was injured and who signed what contract and all the other easy stuff that did not require any actually observations or work. But now we have good writers such as Curran who actually pay attention.

And as far as Gresh, he and Fourier are the best footballs guys on the air, at least locally. Gresh is articulate, knowledgeable, insightful, and has an amazing ability to steer Fourier into interesting topics. Listen carefully to the masterly way Gresh does this (maybe it is a producer that comes up with the questions that Gresh uses, but it seems to be from him). Gresh is polite (this may be new to him) to Fourier, probably because he respects him (unlike Felger). They are the ideal pair. Besides, in the old days, Gresh used to regularly call Felger a douch (they were on the same station); how can you not like that! Another good quality about Gresh is that he is not a negative whiner like the Felger and Jones.
Who's Fourier?

I had the patriots winning 4 games. I knew the offensive line was terrible and would sink the offense, but I never thought jones would make such poor decisions under o‘brien.
On defense, I knew bb left us dangerous thin and small at corner, but I did not see Gonzalez getting hurt

What messed me up this year was how close they came to beating the Eagles in the season opener. I thought they played pretty well in that game and it portended a great season. Little did I know.

What messed me up this year was how close they came to beating the Eagles in the season opener. I thought they played pretty well in that game and it portended a great season. Little did I know.
Well, they had the whole off-season to prepare for it.

No ... they're way worse than that. Below average would be an improvement at this point. I feel like horrific really is a good word for them. Again, never saw this coming and I sort of can't believe we still have seven weeks to play.
Sad but true. I've been thinking for a while that maybe, just maybe, they might be tanking. When I brought that question up to some folks in may favorite North End restaurant on Monday it wasn't greeted kindly. Some folks think that the Pats are above that. I don't. Mostly because I can believe that Bill Belichick could put together such a terrible offense with no QB unless he was trying.

The beat writers like Curran are way, way better than the Old Days. I remember going to the Patriots practices at Bryant College and checking out the sports writers. They just hung out together and gossiped, but I never once saw any of them actually watch the practices!

As far as I could tell, they were a bunch of lazy, inept drunks who did not know or care about football (probably baseball nerds). They would just parrot the press releases about who was injured and who signed what contract and all the other easy stuff that did not require any actually observations or work. But now we have good writers such as Curran who actually pay attention.

And as far as Gresh, he and Fourier are the best footballs guys on the air, at least locally. Gresh is articulate, knowledgeable, insightful, and has an amazing ability to steer Fourier into interesting topics. Listen carefully to the masterly way Gresh does this (maybe it is a producer that comes up with the questions that Gresh uses, but it seems to be from him). Gresh is polite (this may be new to him) to Fourier, probably because he respects him (unlike Felger). They are the ideal pair. Besides, in the old days, Gresh used to regularly call Felger a douch (they were on the same station); how can you not like that! Another good quality about Gresh is that he is not a negative whiner like the Felger and Jones.
I'm not sure trotting out old B-movie stereotypes about sports reporters is of much value in any honest and worthwhile analysis, but whatever floats your boat. The literary quality of today's writing, in sports as elsewhere, has declined dismally since the, thirties, say. This is undeniable, though louts embarrassed at their lack of sophistication may make a brave but empty show of trying.

Today's reporters may have greater access - not as a result of any diligence on their part, but because they are inundated with "access," digital and otherwise. Two points on this: First, everyone these days has enhanced access to "facts." The result is not an elevated culture, surely, nor some some rise in the level of sound judgment in the world. Quite the opposite. Second, they are not granted access to "facts" at all, but to the deliberately manipulative PR dreck (propaganda) which the team puts out, and to access in the form of interviews in which we are regaled with meaningless jock cliches and self-adoring posturing. The reporting of such bought-and-sold drudges is always at least half devoted to ass-kissing and to tame team-approved demurrals within the gasp of and suited to the taste of, middle schoolers.

On Gresh/Keefe/ Fauria. Gresh is an insecure, former fat kid who certainly as a result of his established insecurity, is incapable of framing any view he offers other than in the form, "The stupid fans think X, but I think Y." To which I say, **** You. If you probe his "thinking,: as I have done in chat exchanges with him, he folds like a cheap tent. As for Fauria, he is a stupid preening lout incapable of thought beyond the middle-school level. He ruined the previous iteration of the show with his non-stop drivel, and now, with Gresh's unaccountable support or indulgence, has moved even further into his tedious trivialities. Keefe, unlike Fauria, is an intelligent person, broadly knowledgable, and capable of holding an actual conversation - even with Gresh. Fauria's reach does not extend beyond jockish horseshit, aside from an occasional foray into palaver about restarants, hairdos, car problems, and - most recently - diaper changing.

WEEI's lineup has declined to a point where at least half of their shows are not only uninteresting and unuseful, but downright unlistenable.They should sell most of what they do off to TicToc where it belongs and start over.

Last edited:
I thought 7-8 wins and I think I was on the pessimistic side. I don’t recall anyone predicting this disaster. If you want to make claims about predictions, you might want to go back and check.

Matt Patricia is at the very least a decent offensive coordinator. One quarterback played very well last year and his initials are not MJ.

It's okay and expected for media to be completely wrong, but for the team it's not.

Historically speaking, I believe Bill O'Brien may be the WOAT OC ever for the Patriots.

I thought 7-8 wins and I think I was on the pessimistic side. I don’t recall anyone predicting this disaster. If you want to make claims about predictions, you might want to go back and check.
There are lots nationally and several right here on this site who correctly stated that it would be a challenge for this team to win five games. Their response to the popular baseless optimistic predictions was usually accompanied by raucous laughter.

Historically speaking, I believe Bill O'Brien may be the WOAT OC ever for the Patriots.
The style of their offense is no different from last year. I’ve been watching the Pats since the mid 90’s and I agree he’s the worst OC.

There are lots nationally and several right here on this site who correctly stated that it would be a challenge for this team to win five games. Their response to the popular baseless optimistic predictions was usually accompanied by raucous laughter.
I didn’t see those. Can you post a link or 2?

Last edited:
Who's Fourier?
Old French mathematician...
Joseph-Fourier-lithograph-Jules-Boilly-Paris-Academy-1823.jpg

The style of their offense is no different from last year. I’ve been watching the Pats since the mid 90’s and I agree he’s the worst OC.
Recency bias, paying no attention to the collapse of the team as a whole - all three phases, every position, badly coached, the weakest roster in the league, a qb who has lost his mind, etc, etc. Data which might support your is view about as scarce and corrupt as data can get. BoB is Josh light (or vice-versa). OC ain't the problem: it's a distraction. With this roster, the team could hire Yahweh himself as OC and still be an embarrassing bottomfeeder.

Recency bias, paying no attention to the collapse of the team as a whole - all three phases, every position, badly coached, the weakest roster in the league, a qb who has lost his mind, etc, etc. Data which might support your is view about as scarce and corrupt as data can get. BoB is Josh light (or vice-versa). OC ain't the problem: it's a distraction. With this roster, the team could hire Yahweh himself as OC and still be an embarrassing bottomfeeder.
It's kind of odd how we can't really get a true grip on the quality of the coaches because the team is so devoid of talent. Yet the man responsible for that lack of talent seems to avoid culpability with many fans here.

I didn’t see those. Can you post a link or 2?

So the national consensus had the Patriot (& Giants) rated above eight other teams, while I was not fooled at all by the wins they did have last year, nor did I ignore the massive loss in key personnel all over the field.

@captain stone has got it right

I see a lotta guys getting it right here

So the national consensus had the Patriot (& Giants) rated above eight other teams, while I was not fooled at all by the wins they did have last year, nor did I ignore the massive loss in key personnel all over the field.

@captain stone has got it right

I see a lotta guys getting it right here

The Entire World (except me) just think the world of Bill O'Brien (I never have. Not professionally, anyway, never met the guy).

And they likewise eternally blather and believe that Matt Patricia is a terrible OC (He's actually pretty good. Looked good with Zappe in there, anyway).

The Entire World (except me) just think the world of Bill O'Brien (I never have. Not professionally, anyway, never met the guy).

And they likewise eternally blather and believe that Matt Patricia is a terrible OC (He's actually pretty good. Looked good with Zappe in there, anyway).
Then how come he's not the OC for another team if he's such and untapped genius in that role?

Then how come he's not the OC for another team if he's such and untapped genius in that role?
So let's talk about the NFL.

The league where Vince Lombardi had to drag his family halfway across the country to the frozen tundra to get a head coaching job.

Which left Doug Flutie with no option but to bolt to Canada for his prime.

Which had one (1) team give Tom Brady a chance.

I don't think Matt is exactly in their class, but he's highly accomplished and qualified as a coordinator, and to tell you the truth, if I owned/operated a team of my own this very day, I would hire him in a minute as my OC.

Tons of very good coordinators suck as head coaches, it's very common.

It's kind of odd how we can't really get a true grip on the quality of the coaches because the team is so devoid of talent. Yet the man responsible for that lack of talent seems to avoid culpability with many fans here.
I know what I'd do but Kraft won't.

That is, respectfully suggest, or insist upon, assistance in the form of assistants in scouting and drafting.

Not drafting Metcalf and Chubb was moronic and everybody knew it.

Belichick's human, that is, not perfect.

Thinking about how the Patriots came out flat as a pancake in both Super Bowls against his beloved Giants makes me sick.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back