PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defeat Planet Hoosten, 34-16 ~ A Few Ruminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
01 ~ Bill The Mad (Genius). I'ave often squawked, over the Years, about the propensity of most Coaches, and Mad Bill in particular, to rush injured Players back into Action. History makes it clear that it takes Time, usually about 12 to 18 month, if there're no SetBacks, to fully regain 100% of one's Former Form.

And that is why I cannot shut my PieHole about how incredibly smart Mad Bill has been with Dion Lewis. He's Taken It Through The Gears, as I always scream for our Team to do. In EarthSpeak, that means that Coach Belichick has allowed Lewis to gradually and incrementally increase his WorkLoad over the last several months, which's allowed Lewis's Frame to sustainably heal and regain Power and Speed.

That is so very, very rare that an Head Coach exhibits the Big Picture Wisdom that Mad Bill did in this Case. I take my hat off to the Man. I did not expect Dion Lewis to return to'is Former Form until 2017. Coach Belichick is brilliant...but not even from him did I expect such extraordinary Self Control.

02 ~ My Nominee for Planet Hoosten's Defensive Player of the Game? Coach Bill O'Brien. Coach O'Brien's Expertise is of course Offensive, but I believe that Tom Curran had the right Question for Mad Bill ~ of course ~ about how much our Offense was at fault for our shaky Performance, and how much Planet Hoosten's Defense was responsible. Or, particularly, how much Bill O'Brien was responsible.

I've always held that former Coordinators have a major Tactical Advantage over their old Teams. My favorite example of this has always been Super Bowl 37, when I predicted that Jon Gruden's Tampa Bay Buccaneers would slaughter the OakLand Raiders, whose Offense had been developed by...Jon Gruden.

I believe that the largest Factor in our Struggles last night was Coach O'Brien's intimate knowledge of our System...and of Tom Brady's Style. As John Lynch was heard on Live MicroPhone predicting what the Raiders would do on a particular Play in Super Bowl 37, so, too, do I believe that Coach O'Brien's extraordinarily intimate Knowledge of our System provide'm an enormous Advantage.

My Point: I would read very, very little into our Struggles, last night.

03 ~ Rowe's Penalty. The Referees had a very sketchy first Half, I thought, including an early Phantom Pass Interference Penalty to our Benefit. But I thought that that Penalty on Eric Rowe, who was only trying to separate a couple of guys and break up a Scrum, was ********. It felt, frankly, like a Make Up Call.

~ Lewis's Acceleration on that Return. My God. You know what I'm talking about: That point where #52, Brian Peters, was at least keeping up with Lewis...and then Lewis just surged...and he was gone.

05 ~ Vince Wilfork. How awesome it was to see him with Brother Kraft, even more so, Coach Patricia...and his loving Fans!! You are magnificent, Brother Vincent. We will never forget.

06 ~ Our Defense. Amazing Conditioning and Mental Resilience in the first Half, spending so much time on the Field. And not to beat a Dead Horse or transform a Positive into a Negative, but I know that I speak for all'f us when I note that I'm sick and tired of our Defense having to carry our mediocre Offense. :D

07 ~ Ryan Allen...Wow. Remember Tom #$&%ing Tupa?? I still twitch when I recollect the many times that I'd hear the Announcer sing the Praises of "All Pro Tom Tupa", when Tupa'd come out to punt from MidField...immediately after which Tupa would promptly blast the FootBall right through the End Zone, blowing, yet again, the easy Opportunity to stuff our Opponent inside the 20 or perhaps the 10.

Ryan Allen consistently aces the Shank Punt. Oh how I love that guy.

08 ~ Seriously: Our Defense was amazing, wasn't it?? Planet Hoosten scoring 13 Points after TurnOvers means that our Defense, under normal circumstances, only gave up 3 Points!!

~ And by the way: There was some idiotic mention of our Success or lack thereof against #1 Defenses in the PlayOffs ~ I forget exactly what was said, but it was a reference to Planet Hoosten having yielded less Yards than anyone else in the regular Seasons. :rolleyes: They should've asked me, and I could've told'm: the Patriots didn't have a Prayer of scoring a single Point against The #1 Defense, yesterday.

That being, of course, because the Patriots boast the #1 Defense.
emoji12.png

Any Soul who believes that Defenses should be ranked by Yardage, not Points, is a slobbering Idiot.

As soon as Wins & Losses are determined not by Points but by Yardage, I'll change my View. :rolleyes:

10 ~ Tom Brady...Remember a few Years ago ~ I believe it might've been when we knocked off the Ravens in the Divisionals ~ when General Brady stood in front of a Live Mike and said ~ and I quote ~ that he'd sucked?? Hah!! I lack the Vocabulary to describe how deeply and gratefully I admire and appreciate such relentlessly passionate and obsessive Dedication to one's Craft...and to one's TeamMates!!

11 ~ Speaking'f which: Those'f us who've been paying attention probably fully expected Dion Lewis, when asked, to focus not on'is statistically historical Game but on'is Gaffes in that same Game.

I don't believe that Mad Bill coaches his Players on how to talk to Reporters ~ On To Team X, Gotta Get Better, Et Cetera. No, I believe that Mad Bill seeks out Players whose Dedication to Craft and Relentless Pursuit of Perfection echoes his. And I believe that it is that, and not some Recitation of Mantra, that produces so many Interviews with so many Players that reflect Mad Bill's Philosophy.

Even so, I was deeply impressed with the Intensity of Lewis's comments in the wake of that Game. In case you missed it ~ and I almost did, as I didn't see this on TeleVision ~ this is worth reading.

03 ~ Rowe's Penalty. The Referees had a very sketchy first Half, I thought, including an early Phantom Pass Interference Penalty to our Benefit. But I thought that that Penalty on Eric Rowe, who was only trying to separate a couple of guys and break up a Scrum, was ********. It felt, frankly, like a Make Up Call.
The PI call was legit. The CB had his left arm in front of Hogan while having no idea where the ball was. It was a harsh call, but a legit call. Rowe's penalty was ticky-tacky, but going by the rulebook a legit penalty too.
08 ~ Seriously: Our Defense was amazing, wasn't it?? Planet Hoosten scoring 13 Points after TurnOvers means that our Defense, under normal circumstances, only gave up 3 Points!!
And those three points came after Rowe's penalty extended their drive after what should've been a 3rd down stop. Not counting those four drives the Patriots D allowed only 177 yards on 11 drives. The D did a good job. Houston doesn't have a good offense but the D only broke down twice all game. Once when they bit hard on the fake reverse and once when they got lucky that Fuller dropped the bomb from Osweiler.

First off: Love the homage to General Zod. I had a "Kneel before Zod" t-shirt back in the day.

The penalty on Rowe was stupid on Rowe's part, as the Hoosten guy was still driving into the pile and if left to his own devices probably would have garnered a flag himself. The peeling the guy off the pile penalty is akin to Hockey's third man in penalty.

Brady's first int was just bad luck, slightly overthrown, bad tip, right into the guys hands. His second int was a throw he shouldn't have made.

Great second half adjustment by Dante, Brady had much more time and a much cleaner pocket in the second half.

6 straight AFC championship games is amazing. One more home win and its back to the Superbowl!

The penalty on Rowe was stupid on Rowe's part, as the Hoosten guy was still driving into the pile and if left to his own devices probably would have garnered a flag himself. The peeling the guy off the pile penalty is akin to Hockey's third man in penalty.

Not sure how much is just Rowe trying to find an excuse but he claimed that they were speering/going after Butler in that pile and he was just looking out for his guy. Either way you can't have a third down stop negated in the playoffs on something like that.

Not sure how much is just Rowe trying to find an excuse but he claimed that they were speering/going after Butler in that pile and he was just looking out for his guy. Either way you can't have a third down stop negated in the playoffs on something like that.
He knows it was a dumb play. Said that in the post-game interview.

Let me add;
1) Houston was 3/16 on third downs, one was the broken play run by Brock and I don't know if the Rowe penalty counts as well. The penalty play started on a late dive into a Pats' tackler by one of the Texans, At worst, it should have been offsetting. Then again, it was Morelli and if he's one of the best..oy....
2) Pats offense was 3/4 in the red zone but we concentrate on the end of the first half one FG when they couldn't convert. Remeber this is one very sotut Houston defense.
3) Pats defense held Texans to 1/3 in the red zone......
4) The Pats played B- game and still managed to score 34 points ( leaving 7 more on the field- the sack that took them out of field goal range and the 3 instead of 7 at the end of first half) on the league's top defense in terms of yards. Oh and they put nearly 400 yards on said defense.....
5) BB has a few things to work on this week......
6) Yes they put up a stinker or two every year. Every team does but at least they survived it to live another day....
7) One advantage of the time shift in the KC Pitts game is that if Pitt wins, they likely don't get home until 3 or 4 am Mon and then have to fly on Sat to Foxboro giving them a few less days to prepare.. One added advantage of the #1 seed....
8) I don't know who will ref AFCCG but Super Bowl ref will come out of this weekend, so it will be either Gene Steratore, Pete Morelli, Carl Cheffers, or Tony Corrente. Please let it be Steratore so it won;t be a cluster......

9) In response to OFG's initial posting, one of the reasons that TB beat Oakland so badly in the Super Bowl was that Oakland never changed their audibles after Gruden left so they knew what was coming.....

I don't know specifically about spearing, but there was clearly a scrum going on. Yes, Rowe has to use his head and it was a turning point, but it's hard for me to feel the anger toward the guy others do.

I don't know specifically about spearing, but there was clearly a scrum going on. Yes, Rowe has to use his head and it was a turning point, but it's hard for me to feel the anger toward the guy others do.
How you can throw the flag on Rowe only in this situation was beyond me. Both teams looked equally at fault for that scrum, how do you penalize just one team. Should've thrown one flag on each team to break up the scrum.

Griffin was the third guy in, and Harmon leapt in after him. Rowe tried to peel Harmon off the pile, but he was the only number visible to the official. Should have been offsetting penalties.

I don't know who will ref AFCCG but Super Bowl ref will come out of this weekend, so it will be either Gene Steratore, Pete Morelli, Carl Cheffers, or Tony Corrente. Please let it be Steratore so it won;t be a cluster......

The football zebras page posted that it will likely be Steratore or Cheffers (since both didnt ref a SB yet). And with Morelli stinking it up and Steratore having a good game yesterday I think there is no way we will see Morelli this post season again. Fortunately.

I agree with his intentions but not with the situation he put us in. That being said I hope we get a ref team that has better control over situations like that in the AFCCG/SB because that was also on them.

He knows it was a dumb play. Said that in the post-game interview.

If he didn't before he certainly did after BB was in his ear after the play on the sidelines ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back