PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Story on Patriots' documentary brings recent dysfunction to light

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Wow. Even Slater talks about how bad things were in the last decade or so, with attribution that the high authoritarian leadership style of the head coach as the primary cause.

(If you don't subscribe to NYT or The Athletic, open in Firefox and use the read function.)

That’s pretty incredible. We’ve obviously heard the rumors, but the fact players were willing to be more candid for this and actually bring more things to light is going to make it a must-watch just to hear that part of it. Definitely looking forward to it ;)

Lol 20 years together of course there will be friction.
That's fine, and nobody can deny the success. But we don't need to deal with delusions of "oh the best QB ever just at random left team cause he felt like it after 20 years". Do you know how many all time great QB's just willingly walk away from their dynasty without aging out or a forced release? It's Brady.

It's okay to acknowledge that there was conflict

Anyways:

highlight quotes

“Me and coach Belichick, we did what we loved and competed for 20 years together,” Brady said. “But I wasn’t going to sign another contract (in New England) even if I wanted to play until (I was) 50. Based on how things had gone, I wasn’t going to sign up for more of it.” - Tom Brady

It was brutal,” Matthew Slater said. Rob Gronkowski described pulling up to 1 Patriot Place and not wanting to get out of his car to go into work. Wes Welker compared Brady to an abused dog for continually going back to work for Belichick.

Perhaps his most interesting comment comes when dodging a question from Hamachek about why Malcolm Butler was benched in Super Bowl LII. “Matt, we’ve talked about that,” Belichick says without any further explanation, implying some kind of agreement between the coach and director about avoiding that topic.

As Kraft says, “Tom and I had a number of discussions about how Bill treated him. Tommy is very sensitive. He was always looking for Bill’s approval, almost in a father-son kind of way. And that’s not Bill’s style ever to give that.”

Anyways:

highlight quotes

“Me and coach Belichick, we did what we loved and competed for 20 years together,” Brady said. “But I wasn’t going to sign another contract (in New England) even if I wanted to play until (I was) 50. Based on how things had gone, I wasn’t going to sign up for more of it.” - Tom Brady

It was brutal,” Matthew Slater said. Rob Gronkowski described pulling up to 1 Patriot Place and not wanting to get out of his car to go into work. Wes Welker compared Brady to an abused dog for continually going back to work for Belichick.

Perhaps his most interesting comment comes when dodging a question from Hamachek about why Malcolm Butler was benched in Super Bowl LII. “Matt, we’ve talked about that,” Belichick says without any further explanation, implying some kind of agreement between the coach and director about avoiding that topic.

As Kraft says, “Tom and I had a number of discussions about how Bill treated him. Tommy is very sensitive. He was always looking for Bill’s approval, almost in a father-son kind of way. And that’s not Bill’s style ever to give that.”
Lol my boy @venecol going to do a victory lap

Wait. Bill was a dink?
Oh My God Omg GIF

I am shocked.
deadpan bill murray GIF

What I am surprised about is that Brady put up with it for so long.

I wish this wasn't on Apple+. I am not paying for another service. No sir.

Well this settles it Tom would have won 20 SBs without the big bad Bill. And apparently 2014-2019 was the most dysfunctional time in NFL history.

Last edited:
Butler was willing to come back and play for Belichick again, so I'm guessing at least part of it falls under his "no throwing players under the bus" rule.

Butler was willing to come back and play for Belichick again, so I'm guessing at least part of it falls under his "no throwing players under the bus" rule.
We are never gonna find out.

Wait. Bill was a dink?
Oh My God Omg GIF

I am shocked.
deadpan bill murray GIF

What I am surprised about is that Brady put up with it for so long.

I wish this wasn't on Apple+. I am not paying for another service. No sir.
I really enjoy Apple TV. It’s quite the bargain imo and has some of the most enjoyable shows of the streaming service. Ted Lasso alone is worth the price of admission.

I think BB's book will answer all our questions. It's why I hope he retires right now then he can get started with it.
Nah I think he won't say anything about it honestly it'll have to come from one of the stooges Fat Matt or someone else

I think BB's book will answer all our questions. It's why I hope he retires right now then he can get started with it.
I bet he completely omits it. I have come 180 from where I used to be on it. I used to think he'd tell us everything. Now I think he's a grumpy old man and he's gonna grunt "coach's decision" and that's it.

Brady loved being motivated in these ways, so the coach/QB team worked for many years.

But I'm wondering if it were Mahomes instead of Brady if there would have been a Magic Johnson/Paul Westhead revolt.

I am sorry but F Bill. What a fricking clown to have done what he did to Brady at the end. Both he and Bob could not wait after that first SB win to take all the credit for themselves and tout the "Patriot Way." I am glad everything blew up in Bill's face with the ultimate humiliation being that literally no team wants him as their HC.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back