Welcome to PatsFans.com

Clark Judge:One more thing not to forget, New England: Torrey Smith

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,710 / 14 / -10

2. JJDChE

JJDChE 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Smith kind of perplexes me a little. I thought he was going to have a much more productive year this year. Every time I saw him play last year I was wowed by how good he looked. I thought he was going to have a big breakout year this year, but it didn't really pan out. He pretty much replicated last year. He needs to get better underneath or he's going to end up getting shut out by any team that can contain him over the top.

3. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +248 / 19 / -7

My guess is that he isn't a very good route runner, he can run the deep route real well though.

4. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -3

#12 Jersey

He's still young and has plenty time to improve his game. Conventional wisdom says next year would be his breakout season if he has the potential to be a bonafide #1.

5. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1

I am getting tired of this overblown notion that Flacco outplayed Brady in last years AFC championship game. I know Brady says he sucked but I think he mostly played very well. I can only imagine how well he would have preformed if he had to pass against Moore and Arrington at corner with Edlemann covering the slot.

6. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

i dont know what this guy is talking about. we struggle much more against the great route runners than guys who are deep threats. not that great deep threats like smith are a walk in the park, but usually BB takes them out of the game. its the guys who roam between 12 and 25 yards we have the problems with. we dont give u p the big big TDs. we give up 20 yard TDs, but not usually 50/60/70 yarders.

if i remember correctly flacco missed smith a few times deep last year in the AFC championship when he was open. i think our D is much better equipped to handle that this year in this game (and since this years earlier game as well).

i think Ray Rice on screens and passes out in the flats, Anquan Boldin and Pitta are more concerning than smith.

7. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +44 / 2 / -0

Oh crap! I forgot Torrey Smith!

:mad:

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,271 / 46 / -16

I thought Torrey Smith played for the Browns. Totally forgot he plays for the Ravens. Hope Belichick didn't make the same mistake.

IDK, Smith is the kind of guy Talib should do well against. Talib's best strength is when he can get physical and go man up with a receiver down the field. He struggles against route runners where he needs to play smarter and less physical. Smith is not a route runner. He is a straight line receiver.

9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,093 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Agreed. He'll be a bigger, slightly better DeSean Jackson. When his speed starts to fade, so will his career unless he shows that he's willing enough to make the tough catches over the middle of the field.

10. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +198 / 15 / -3

I was in the stadium last year so I didn't get any of the crazy commentary about Brady's play, but watching last night's game didn't give me the impression he played badly.

The thing is, the bomb to Slater after the Spikes INT was a horrendously bad decision, and I've only seen Brady have a brainlock in important moments like that just 2 or 3 times during his career (Super Bowl against the Panthers).

But does one bad decision mean you played horribly?

Maybe yes, if you're Brady. And when he said "I sucked" people didn't really get that he's his harshest critic, and the throw to Slater was one of the worst of his career.

One throw can make you say, "I sucked." Even if the reality is that you played well most of the game.

I blame the offensive sputters on O'Brien and some bad running play calls, a problem which actually continued into the Super Bowl. I blame last year on O'Brien almost totally anyway. So glad that Josh McD is back.

11. chasa

chasa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +877 / 42 / -16

#87 Jersey

are we sure torrey smith actually had a brother that died? After this Manti stuff i think someone should look into it.

12. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Congrats. You're in the running for 2013 most distasteful comment of the year.

13. patsfanincleveland

patsfanincleveland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +78 / 8 / -1

What the mediots fail to understand is that "outplay" was not very good.

10 points were off of turnovers and failure to score seven on the Woodhead KR fumble was extremely critical.

Had TB played Flacco's game, we would have been commenting on subpar QB play.

14. ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

ThatllMoveTheChains!!! Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +239 / 5 / -1

#24 Jersey

It was more than one bad decision; Brady was 1/6 with 2 INTs on deep throws in that game. The Pats struggled with that all season, but that's simply horrible. Brady was super efficient in the short passing game, but you need to be able to at least threaten deep. Maybe it was all on the playcalling, but unless someone did a full breakdown I have a hard time believing that.

15. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Who the hell is Torrey Smith?

16. patsfanincleveland

patsfanincleveland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +78 / 8 / -1

On the first drive, TB missed a WIDE OPEN Gronk on a seam route for a sure TD.

Same thing in Q2 with AHern.

That's 8 extra points under a standard TB performance.

17. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

smith catches the ball at a 40% clip even though the majority of his catches are of the 1-10 yard variety

you just don't let him get behind you.....same with jacoby jones.

force flacco to throw short......he sucks at it

18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Nothing against Torey Smith but this is getting a little silly.

Football Outsiders ranked him 1.1% above the average WR on a per play basis. Slightly below Brandon Lloyd. He had two 100 yard games this season. He had ten games with less than 50 yards (one was in the final game of the regular season, I don't know if he was rested or just non productive). He had less yards in the regular season than Brandon Lloyd.

He does have 10 TDs and is a big play guy, obviously we have to limit his big plays but we just faced Andre Johnson who had 1,600 yards this season compared to Smith's 855.

Smith is a good WR and could burn us deep but he is what he is and that's a little above average.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  19. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

Smiths issue has always been press coverage.

Struggles when he's rough up

20. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Yeah dude, not funny. I coached Torrey Smith's 13 year old cousin this past year in AYF and he was torn up about it. The kid missed a game to attend the funeral and was clearly hurting for weeks. He wasn't the same kid at practice and got into some trouble at school after that. Getting in trouble at school ultimately cost him a lot, he was prevented from traveling to Florida with us for the National Championships because of the school behavioral issues.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.