PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft comments on Patriots are cheap storyline.

I mean how many years have people said the Rams were going all in for a year and would be destroying their franchise longterm and they just kept rolling, had one down year, and then came back. Pretty much since 2017
1 ring... is that rolling?

This is pretty interesting and seems like a fairly smart strategy if you can find guys like Moss, Talibs, and Revis to fill the gaps.

Problem is I'm not sure if it's all of this or just the WR position. I don't think Bill really cares that much about the alpha WR.

Secondly in order for it to work you had to qualify the corners drafted as nickel corners and I'm not sure why that's the case. Third we kind of had the most expensive position locked up.
basically, the guys they drafted were nickels, regardless of their position - Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, et al, may have played on the outside but they were nickels bc they weren't good

basically, the guys they drafted were nickels, regardless of their position - Darius Butler, Terrance Wheatley, et al, may have played on the outside but they were nickels bc they weren't good
You're acting like they were drafted only to be nickels. And ignoring how much they actually played on the outside. Was Hobbs and Samuels just nickels too? Jonathan Jones just a nickel yet he can shut down Tyreek?

You agreed for 20 years that BB had total control. RK stated otherwise in his press conferences when Brady left saying that he promised Brady to spend on players - notice the RK personally promised to Brady because RK owns the budget. BB can't spend money without a budget approved by the boss just like any other business. Mayo is now saying the Pats will "burn cash" which is damage control by the owner. Why is Mayo going on local radio shows talking about burning cash?

BB may have had control over how the budget was spent, but BB does not own the team and can not set the budget. It is amazing that fans want to blame BB for everything. Now BB owns the Patriots and sets the Pats financial budgets? The pretzels the BB haters will twist into are amazing.
The only place where the notion of a "budget" independent of the salary cap comes into play is that there was a rule requiring owners to place all future guaranteed money in escrow. That rule has been at a minimum significantly relaxed, and possibly abandoned altogether (see: the QB that cost the Browns all their goodwill).

There is little chance Kraft doesn't heavily spend in the near term. If he was the driving force behind the past tightened purse strings it will be a priority to make it look like it was Bill. Plus he will be saving money on coaching salaries with Bill gone.
The money for player salaries comes from a dedicated pot of money in the CBA. While in the short run it might come out of Kraft's pocket, in the long run it all comes from league revenues. If the salary he pays the coaches is impacting his ability to pay players (which as near as I can tell it isn't), that's a big problem.

The only place where the notion of a "budget" independent of the salary cap comes into play is that there was a rule requiring owners to place all future guaranteed money in escrow. That rule has been at a minimum significantly relaxed, and possibly abandoned altogether (see: the QB that cost the Browns all their goodwill).

I understand your point, but the player and agent do not allow the owner to add void years to spread the cap hit only to have the player released later and lose that money if another team is offering guaranteed money. The player looks at the total cash received (as R Moss said "straight cash homey") including after tax (which D. Hopkins discussed recently saying that was a significant consideration in comparing his Titans and Patriot's offers). So the money spread out allows the team to sign more players but practically speaking leads to more cash upfront or guaranteed future money like you note. Either way the result is that some teams spend more cash earlier (over time the cash spend averages out to the cap dollars) to sign more players in certain years.

At the moment the Patriot's average cash spend is low compared to other teams. RK and Mayo might talk about "burning cash" but what does that mean? Are we going to spend more cash by spreading the cap dollars into future years so we can sign more players now? The Pats have to spend to the salary cap, so they will burn cash this year, but will they burn cash for future years too? I call that difference "a budget" for the GM and coach to work within.

If you notice Robyn Glazer is included in interviewing the coaching staff. That is to track the budget spend. RK is very concious of his budget and cash spend. Robyn is not advising which coaching candidates are the best football fit. Here is Patrick Pass' opinion (ex-player).

Where is this information? I wasn't aware of it.

I understand your point, but the player and agent do not allow the owner to add void years to spread the cap hit only to have the player released later and lose that money if another team is offering guaranteed money. The player looks at the total cash received (as R Moss said "straight cash homey") including after tax (which D. Hopkins discussed recently saying that was a significant consideration in comparing his Titans and Patriot's offers).
I'm pretty sure the player/agent has no say in adding void years. The only thing in a contract is total amount, guaranteed amount, # of years, any incentives, and the breakdown of the salary, game bonus, etc. Adding void years is a cap management decision made by GM w/o any input by the player a/o agent.

If you notice Robyn Glazer is included in interviewing the coaching staff. That is to track the budget spend. RK is very concious of his budget and cash spend. Robyn is not advising which coaching candidates are the best football fit.
Agree, but what Owner isn't concious of budgets and cash spent? These guys didn't get to be billionaires by not tracking budgets.

Here is Patrick Pass' opinion (ex-player).

That account is not Patrick Pass the player. It's a Bill worshiper who's pissed off that Bill got fired and has taken to attacking the Krafts, Mayo and all their decisions. He's hardly an objective source. Hell, he's probably one of our forum posters, lol.

Where is this information? I wasn't aware of it.
It's in the CBA; the NFL "may" (not shall) require teams to fund up to 75% of guaranteed money in excess of $15M per year.

That account is not Patrick Pass the player. It's a Bill worshiper who's pissed off that Bill got fired and has taken to attacking the Krafts, Mayo and all their decisions. He's hardly an objective source. Hell, he's probably one of our forum posters, lol.
Yeah, I'm gonna guess Pass would not choose the worst moment of his NFL career as his profile picture.

Yeah, I'm gonna guess Pass would not choose the worst moment of his NFL career as his profile picture.
Ian follows him. I wonder if he also thinks it's the player.

Screenshot_20240212_153921_Photo Editor.jpg

Ian follows him. I wonder if he also thinks it's the player.

View attachment 56541
No, I'm aware it wasn't/isn't his. The PatsFans account follows a lot of fan/Patriots accounts in general, although I don't really browse Twitter with that one. But, interesting you mention this one - Felger got nailed with that last week after he tried to use it against Lombardi not realizing it wasn't Pass's actual account. He took a lot of grief online for it after not realizing it wasn't really him.

I'm pretty sure the player/agent has no say in adding void years. The only thing in a contract is total amount, guaranteed amount, # of years, any incentives, and the breakdown of the salary, game bonus, etc. Adding void years is a cap management decision made by GM w/o any input by the player a/o agent.
The player and agent want the most money (straight cash homey), and the owner/GM might want to spread that money. If one owner competing for the players services adds void years, the player will want to make sure he gets paid and not cut later losing money. Hence the player/agent will look for the most money which is commonly with the contract that spreads the guaranteed payment out. If an owner wants to pay the guaranteed money over time, the agent will ask for something, a higher salary commonly, in return - it is called the net present value of the delayed guaranteed cash payments. Maybe a bit too detailed?
Agree, but what Owner isn't concious of budgets and cash spent? These guys didn't get to be billionaires by not tracking budgets.
Agree, but not only tracking budgets. First setting the budget and later tracking the budget. Posters on PatsFans were implying that RK did not have a business budget and BB controlled everything. Kind of obvious I know.
Thanks, I did not know that. Breer reported the interview arrangements, not Patrick Pass. Patrick Pass was simply commenting on the arrangement. I think the arrangement is unusual for an NFL team and it demonstrates that RK is not only establishing and tracking the cash spent on players but also on coaches. She is only there for legal and accounting stuff - no need to be involved in the interview process of a football coach, IMO.

The player and agent want the most money (straight cash homey), and the owner/GM might want to spread that money. If one owner competing for the players services adds void years, the player will want to make sure he gets paid and not cut later losing money. Hence the player/agent will look for the most money which is commonly with the contract that spreads the guaranteed payment out. If an owner wants to pay the guaranteed money over time, the agent will ask for something, a higher salary commonly, in return - it is called the net present value of the delayed guaranteed cash payments. Maybe a bit too detailed?

Agree, but not only tracking budgets. First setting the budget and later tracking the budget. Posters on PatsFans were implying that RK did not have a business budget and BB controlled everything. Kind of obvious I know.

Thanks, I did not know that. Breer reported the interview arrangements, not Patrick Pass. Patrick Pass was simply commenting on the arrangement. I think the arrangement is unusual for an NFL team and it demonstrates that RK is not only establishing and tracking the cash spent on players but also on coaches. She is only there for legal and accounting stuff - no need to be involved in the interview process of a football coach, IMO.
From what I've read, she's present primarily to be aware of anything discussed in terms of financials, procedures, as well as to answer general questions the owner (or whoever) might have in terms of anything that comes up that falls under her umbrella of duties. Aside from that, that's really about it - she's not a decision-maker. She sort of falls under a more in-depth version of Jennifer Garner's character on Draft Day, or at least that's my impression.

No, I'm aware it wasn't/isn't his. The PatsFans account follows a lot of fan/Patriots accounts in general, although I don't really browse Twitter with that one. But, interesting you mention this one - Felger got nailed with that last week after he tried to use it against Lombardi not realizing it wasn't Pass's actual account. He took a lot of grief online for it after not realizing it wasn't really him.
I think Felger still thinks Kraft makes mac and cheese products.

I think Felger still thinks Kraft makes mac and cheese products.

Felger can be really smart and insightful, or really dumb and obtuse. Unusual in the same person.

Felger can be really smart and insightful, or really dumb and obtuse. Unusual in the same person.
Definitely much smarter than he lets on, and he plays it all perfectly and knows when to hit the gas and when to back off. Makes up for whatever he doesn't know with that nuance, and obviously that formula has worked well for him.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back