PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is Tom Brady is 39 years old, this team won the Super Bowl two years ago, could have done it again last year if they didn't mail in the last two games.

I don't care if pick 61 or the Cardinals back up to the previously cut by the Patriots Ted Larsen pans out. Nothing will matter after Brady retires. You could have kept Jones for another run this year and franchised or traded him after that.

You are all dreaming if you think the Pat's are going to retain Hightower, Collins, and Butler after this year, because the Pat's are still handicapped by that ridiculous contract they gave McCourty last off season. The Pat's are incredible lucky that they have (now) their three best players on the cheap (Brady, Gronk (you know Chandlers BFF) and Edelman, go for it now, who cares if they are in cap hell after Brady retires, because it really won't make a difference.

If you franchised Jones, you would't have been able to keep Hightower, who is set to be a UFA after this season.

Also, the only way they could have traded Jones is if they franchised him. It's not an either/or scenario.

Clearly, BB doesn't have the same short-sightedness you do. He clearly doesn't want to leave this franchise in a mess and tarnish his legacy.

I don't think that's the specific issue that they're discussing, though.

All 5th year options are due a year (plus) ahead of time, which is why we had to make the choices on guys like Jones, Hightower last May, when they were in between their 3rd and 4th years. This is to try and give the player/agent/team time to plan accordingly.

What they are discussing is when, specifically, those cap hits/salaries become fully guaranteed. The debate is whether it's the start of the league year (normally the first day of free agency in March), or whether or not it can go all the way to week 1 (September).

I know. I got from this post they have to announce whether they'll pick up the option by this May but it's not guaranteed until next March. And if that's not the issue, I'll shut up and return to lurking. :)

damn... trade makes alot of sense but im gonna miss Chandler :(. So what does that look for our front 7? more 3-4 looks?

The Pats have switched to a 4-3 and they used the Nickel more than any other set last year. And in the nickel, they were going more with Chung playing a hybrid LB role covering TEs and another corner.

Their front 7, as it stands right now, will be:
DE: Sheard, Ninkovich, Long, Flowers, Grisson, Johnson
DT: Easley, Branch, Brown, Kearse, Chris Jones, Kitchen, Vellano
OLB: Collins, Hightower, Snyder
ILB: Freeny, Bostic, Vaughters, Humber

I expect them to bring in a ILB in the draft unless they sign someone else.

@AzorianPats - Please go find us a video of an Interior Linemen pulling to pick up a LB blitzing the A gap since you claim that Zolak said this happens, you should be able to find video of it..

Senile? ROFLMAO.. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that you're being ridiculous..

Dude. You're toast. Run along..
BTW, Just because Zolak said something doesn't make it gospel.

Toast as in how?

You want to continue this rhetoric lets do this through privite chat, ill tell you where to go and how to get there. You should consider yourself blessed ive wasted my precious time replying to you.

Now go fetch me a coffee

The Pats have switched to a 4-3 and they used the Nickel more than any other set last year. And in the nickel, they were going more with Chung playing a hybrid LB role covering TEs and another corner.

Their front 7, as it stands right now, will be:
DE: Sheard, Ninkovich, Long, Flowers, Grisson, Johnson
DT: Easley, Branch, Brown, Kearse, Chris Jones, Kitchen, Vellano
OLB: Collins, Hightower, Snyder
ILB: Freeny, Bostic, Vaughters, Humber

I expect them to bring in a ILB in the draft unless they sign someone else.

I think they need another Akeem Ayers type as well on the outside.

Toast as in how?

You want to continue this rhetoric lets do this through privite chat, ill tell you where to go and how to get there. You should consider yourself blessed ive wasted my precious time replying to you.

Now go fetch me a coffee

You're toast as in, you've shown a complete lack of understanding of what the GAPS are in football and what it means for an interior lineman to pull. Which means that you are just regurgitating things you clearly didn't understand and can't be taken seriously.

So, lazy arse, go get your own coffee since you've wasted my time..

You're toast as in, you've shown a complete lack of understanding of what the GAPS are in football and what it means for an interior lineman to pull.

So, lazy arse, go get your own coffee since you've wasted my time..

Yet you keep responding right?

Are Collins and Hightower not amazing at attacking the A gaps? Whos responsible for containing that?

No, but according to you Chandler the one that got all the protection is way right? A double digit sack guy, that set the protection, and was doubled would be traded away for a late second and a project guard?

It will be disorienting seeing Jones in a cardinal uniform when they play the Pats next season

he probably cant wait for the game showing it to the OL buddies (that made his working hours longer)
hope he's throwing down brady tenderly

I'm confused, this trade seems like kinda a wash....

Cooper is garbage, Jones wasn't going to resign here, the pick is a low 2nd,

Jones probably won't resign with cards either.

Just seems like a wash for both teams.

Also, Chandler jones is awesome, some of u have said he's average, or good... No he's awesoke.

Also, Chandler jones is awesome, some of u have said he's average, or good... No he's awesoke.

The Cardinals will be able to re-sign Jones if they really want to. They don't have nearly as much premium young talent to extend as we do, and some of their older talent is coming off the books in the next year or two.

As far as Cooper, he may or may not be re-signed, depends on how he plays and how much he wants. Even if not, the second rounder is worth it. There's a lot of really good players available in the 60s.

Don't take it personally Mrs Jones.
We liked Chandler and appreciate his contributions to winning a SB ring.
Best wishes.

Oh please. A year ago people were slurping Jones. Now that's he's not on the team he's just another 'average' player who takes plays off. Give me a break. Same thing with Cooper. Cooper was terrible but now that he's on the pats he's gonna 'bolster' the line?? Come on people.

Day two of the draft should be one Hell of a day for us.

Oh please. A year ago people were slurping Jones. Now that's he's not on the team he's just another 'average' player who takes plays off. Give me a break. Same thing with Cooper. Cooper was terrible but now that he's on the pats he's gonna 'bolster' the line?? Come on people.

Only a few were "slurping" Jones. Any even-handed person on here knows what Jones is. A solid DE that can play great for 3-4 games straight and then go invisible for 4-5 and never showed up in the playoffs.

As for Cooper, show me where people are saying that he is no question about it bolster the line. People are just saying that maybe there is a chance Scar can get him playing solid.

Only a few were "slurping" Jones. Any even-handed person on here knows what Jones is. A solid DE that can play great for 3-4 games straight and then go invisible for 4-5 and never showed up in the playoffs.

As for Cooper, show me where people are saying that he is no question about it bolster the line. People are just saying that maybe there is a chance Scar can get him playing solid.
Umm take a look at the first 10 pages of this thread. People were jumping for joy for cooper

Cooper was a throw in......the Cards didn't want him, and the option date was coming....its up to Cooper and the Pats to turn that him into a win

I was ambivalent about jones....I liked him as a player, but the contract situation was looming and he was 4th in line to get paid, yet would likely command the largest payment

it was a move that made cap economic sense provided a reasonable alternative was available.....is long as good? prob not, but he will do given we already have sheard and ninko

better to dump someone a year early than a year late

This is much more polarizing than I predicted.

Chandler was a very good player. He was not as important as HT/Collins/Butler, but there was production there. Sometimes, excellent production. While there is no one behind the two LBs, nor behind our #1 CB - you could argue the next man up after Jones (Sheard) is more than capable if not close to Jones. You combine all those factors to $, and this trade makes sense.

I don't know if it was the right decision, but it shouldn't be as polarizing as it seems to be. It is a solid choice based on several considerations. Money, replacement, incident during playoffs. We'll never know how much that last one weighed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back