PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL - Josh Jones?

Something isn’t adding up here. PFF gave Jones good grades for his half-season at LT last season, and the former PFF guy says Jones is at minimum a starting caliber tackle. Yet Jones has never won a starting tackle job in the NFL. He’s only ever started there due to injuries to DJ Humphries or Kelvin Beachum. Beachum made $1.2M in 2020, $2M per year in 2021-22, and re-signed in March for $2.6M per year in 2023-2024. That’s the kind of money teams were offering the guy that Jones can’t beat out.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals’ new front office pulled up Jones’ supposedly impressive film from last season and decided not to promote him from swing tackle to starter, but to use the 6th overall pick to demote him from swing tackle to #4 tackle.
This article doesn't make it clear why AZ would get rid of him. He might be the equivalent of McDermott or Anderson. The clip isn't overly impressive. A low round draft pick makes sense but are you going to cut McDermott?

This article doesn't make it clear why AZ would get rid of him. He might be the equivalent of McDermott or Anderson. The clip isn't overly impressive. A low round draft pick makes sense but are you going to cut McDermott?

Their claim was the Cards are in rebuilding mode. Implicit assumption I believe is that the Cards would be willing to turn an underperforming asset (backup OT) into a more valuable asset (draft pick) for their rebuilding. That‘s why I suggested that if the Pats needed to sweeten the pot throwing in a backup OL to replace Jones would facilitate the deal. It’s also why the deal might look like overpaying for Jones, in order to make it attractive enough to get the Cards to trade. if he’s got enough potential it might be worth it, IMO, if it solves the immediate need for the Patriots.

fwiw, speaking to the Cards OL, I keep seeing snippets that Froholdt is working out very nicely at C for the Cards.
Fro was always extremely strong, not so agile. no surprise he struggled at G.
seems to be finding a home at C
Had to let him go though, had to see what we had in Ferentz for a few more years.

:crying:

The fact that the Pats are not working on Sow at RG - while Onwenu has been out - but instead spending all his development time at RT... tells me that Onwenu should be okay and starting at RG.
We can only pray that's true. And, I sure hope Strange comes back soon!

I don't know much about the player himself, but my question is this: Are you more likely to get a brand new player up to speed enough to make a difference, at this stage of camp, or more likely to develop a guy like Sow who's been here the whole time? It's not like Jones was a first round pick and just hasn't realized the full potential of his talent yet. He's a mid round guy, yeah?

It is the OL....once you know the line calls...it's just a matter of technique, execution, strength, and speed....ASSUMING he isn't moving to a new side/position of course.

Cardinals will send Jones and a seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for a fifth-round pick.

So the entire league ignored the Renner hype-up tweet and valued Jones like the backup tackle that he is.

I reject it as an unworthy thought, but from time to time I find myself wondering if Bill might be angling to ensure Mac has another bum season. Giving Mac a c--p O-line and a WR room in which half are old cripples would be a way to accomplish such a thing, wouldn't it? Bill has demonstrated, after all, that even in a Super Bowl he's willing to sacrifice the needs of the team to some petty snit of his. But I suppose it's out of order here at the Belichick Shrine to bring that up again.

Last edited:
This team needs another player named Jones. Bill please make it happen!
Question is if we win it all will next seasons flashy grabline be "keeping up with the Jones'"?

I reject it as an unworthy thought, but from time to time I find myself wondering if Bill might be angling to ensure Mac has another bum season. Giving Mac a c--p O=line and a WR room in which half are old cripples would a way to accomplish such a thing, wouldn't it? Bill has demonstrated, after all, that even in a Super Bowl he's willing to sacrifice the needs of the team to some petty snit of his. But I suppose it's out of order here at the Belichick Shrine to bring that up again.
I reject it as unworthy thought, but from time to time I find myself blocking whiny, hyperbolic posters.

Let me now take a knee to the Belichick shrine and fart in the general direction of Manhattan.

Question is if we win it all will next seasons flashy grabline be "keeping up with the Jones'"?
"Today on NFL Good Morning: We've got the best of Pre-Season Toe Drag Swag! The best of the UDFA end zone dances, and more fluff and filler. Plus - as we enter the 2023 regular season we ask: Is the NFL ready for another decade of Keeping Up With the Joneses? We've got Joey Fatone and Princess Meghan in studio with their analysis. All that and FLUFF!!! FILLER!! on Good Morning NFL."

Cardinals will send Jones and a seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for a fifth-round pick.
That is not too expensive.
How could he not be an upgrade to the current roster? He wouldn't be an upgrade to McDermott?
Seems like an acceptable price. Bill, BOB, and Adrian must feel that the OL we’ve got already wouldn’t be upgraded by adding Jones. I‘d think replacing Anderson with him would be worth it, but I’m not privy to medical info to know the details. Just seems to me that if he’s been sick this long it’ll be awhile before he’s fit to play, so cutting ties now even if it costs a settlement would be a good move.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back