PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL - Josh Jones?

Phil Perry suggested perhaps the Cards would take a mid round pick for him. He was drafted in the third round, so offer a third. If it’s necessary to sweeten the pot perhaps throw in a backup OL, maybe Ferentz?

I don't know much about the player himself, but my question is this: Are you more likely to get a brand new player up to speed enough to make a difference, at this stage of camp, or more likely to develop a guy like Sow who's been here the whole time? It's not like Jones was a first round pick and just hasn't realized the full potential of his talent yet. He's a mid round guy, yeah?

I don't know much about the player himself, but my question is this: Are you more likely to get a brand new player up to speed enough to make a difference, at this stage of camp, or more likely to develop a guy like Sow who's been here the whole time? It's not like Jones was a first round pick and just hasn't realized the full potential of his talent yet. He's a mid round guy, yeah?
have to look longer term as well.
most likely we are seeing Browns last season, Reiff may be already done, or close to it. Andrews has what, one maybe two seasons left in his body? Onwenu is a free agent. who knows if Anderson will ever play here.

Strange, Mafi, Sow, J Andrews, maybe Hines, maybe Stuebber. team needs more and better.

have to look longer term as well.
most likely we are seeing Browns last season, Reiff may be already done, or close to it. Andrews has what, one maybe two seasons left in his body? Onwenu is a free agent. who knows if Anderson will ever play here.

Strange, Mafi, Sow, J Andrews, maybe Hines, maybe Stuebber. team needs more and better.

I would agree, except Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal if I'm not mistaken. So if he doesn't help this year, there's no guarantee he's around to help any future years.

When looking for cuts who could possibly help at OL look to the teams with great lines… not terrible lines.

The Eagles or Falcons might cut someone who can help. It won’t be Arizona.

Trade for the (hey he's gotta be better than what we have here right now) Beast!

As I mentioned in the News from Other Teams' TC thread, offer a 4th-for-6th pick swap exactly like Bill did for Elmanure four years earlier.

Josh Jones is actually a + player in pass blocking and run blocking who really improved last year after being moved to from RG to RT. RT is his more natural position much like RG is Onwenu's natural position. I could see he being gotten for a 5th or maybe a 5th. They're not getting a 3rd for him.

Now. That being said, Jones has some warts. He did give up 4 sacks and 27 total pressures. He also had 9 penalties. I think his issues are completely fixable.

Here‘s the thing about that. From that article in my post: “Add in the fact that Cardinals general manager Monti Ossenfort spent nearly two decades in the Patriots' organization as a scout (2003 to 2019)…”. So Monti knows what the Patriots look for, and can tell Bill how he plays using Bill’s vocabulary. I don’t think he’d misrepresent him, these guys have to do business with each other all the time so honesty and integrity are part of the deal. Or not. But after having him on staff for 16 years Bill knows whether or not to trust him. And I doubt he’d have stuck around for 16 years if he wasn’t trusted. So Bill will have a good idea of how Jones stacks up compared to the guys already here.
I would agree, except Jones is in the last year of his rookie deal if I'm not mistaken. So if he doesn't help this year, there's no guarantee he's around to help any future years.
Yep, last year of his deal. So part of the trade negotiations would probably be negotiating an extension. That’s not uncommon. I’d think probably something like two or three years at a raise from rookie wages but not full open market NFL starting tackle salary. If Bill likes him and Monti gives a good report maybe try for a four year deal with the last couple of years rich on paper but easily voided. Anyway, seems a manageable issue.

I assume things could be worked out with a little money thrown in.

fwiw, speaking to the Cards OL, I keep seeing snippets that Froholdt is working out very nicely at C for the Cards.
Fro was always extremely strong, not so agile. no surprise he struggled at G.
seems to be finding a home at C

fwiw, speaking to the Cards OL, I keep seeing snippets that Froholdt is working out very nicely at C for the Cards.
Fro was always extremely strong, not so agile. no surprise he struggled at G.
seems to be finding a home at C

He has the arms of a Center, that's for sure... Some even thought during the 2019 draft process that Center would be his eventual NFL position.

He has the arms of a Center, that's for sure... Some even thought during the 2019 draft process that Center would be his eventual NFL position.
it would seem some were correct. I assume you were part of some?

He showed potential but was unable to stop holding as a rookie.

Something isn’t adding up here. PFF gave Jones good grades for his half-season at LT last season, and the former PFF guy says Jones is at minimum a starting caliber tackle. Yet Jones has never won a starting tackle job in the NFL. He’s only ever started there due to injuries to DJ Humphries or Kelvin Beachum. Beachum made $1.2M in 2020, $2M per year in 2021-22, and re-signed in March for $2.6M per year in 2023-2024. That’s the kind of money teams were offering the guy that Jones can’t beat out.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals’ new front office pulled up Jones’ supposedly impressive film from last season and decided not to promote him from swing tackle to starter, but to use the 6th overall pick to demote him from swing tackle to #4 tackle.

it would seem some were correct. I assume you were part of some?

After he was drafted, yeah... But if Bill wanted a Guard with this pick, then the best one still available looked to me like Oklahoma's Ben Powers; and if he wanted somebody with G/C potential then I would've taken Ohio State's Michael Jordan.

The dude I really wanted here was LSU TE Foster Moreau, for what should've been at the time obvious reasons... Who knows, maybe if Bill did this now, he doesn't feel compelled to do what he did one year later...

Last edited:
Yes to Josh Jones for LT. And the Lions have a lot of OL talent. Tough for them to keep Matt Nelson. RT. We could definitely use him.

Sidy Sow is the real deal. But as a guard. Going to need a year or two of practice at tackle.

Matt Nelson is a big kid (6’ 7”, 315) out of the Iowa Hawkeyes who played himself onto the Lions’ 53 after being undrafted in 2019. He was a DL in college! A slightly better McDermott if you were to ask me.

Reiff and Anderson are not reliable OTs. We need tackles!

Last edited:
He showed potential but was unable to stop holding as a rookie.
OL men hold when they get beat. Fro, like Wynn and maybe like Sow, did not/do not have the foot work to play T. Wynn struggled mightily at RT with the right foot first step, but not so much with his left foot at LT. Fro simply did not have the technique down yet to play G in the NFL.
from what I read about Sow (mostly Bedard and Lazar) he needs some time too.
it also appears that Reiff no longer has the foot work for either T spot. he either makes it at G or he will be cut.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back