PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2024 support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac sure looked completely different when he was able to hide behind the running game with Harris and Rham in 2021. But later on in the season, teams found a way to score early and/or stifle the run forcing Mac to drop back to pass which he clearly wasn't comfortable doing. Then you have the injuries in 2022 and the zero upgrades in 2023 didn't help any QB. And as @lancerman pointed out, their WR's have been among the worst in the league in separating and the 2019 squad was the worst graded WR group by PFF since their inception in 2006.

Then you have the lack of experience in coaching which that's low on my list. The most important was Mac's footwork, pocket presence, timing and arm strength were traits we've seen get worse over time.

And lastly... the crying. You see players crying before the National Anthem or a playoff loss, but not during regular season games. He has been caught crying not once, but 3 straight years in a row. That's unheard of.

It's time for both parties to cut ties.

Mac sure looked completely different when he was able to hide behind the running game with Harris and Rham in 2021. But later on in the season, teams found a way to score early and/or stifle the run forcing Mac to drop back to pass which he clearly wasn't comfortable doing. Then you have the injuries in 2022 and the zero upgrades in 2023 didn't help any QB. And as @lancerman pointed out, their WR's have been among the worst in the league in separating and the 2019 squad was the worst graded WR group by PFF since their inception in 2006.

Then you have the lack of experience in coaching which that's low on my list. The most important was Mac's footwork, pocket presence, timing and arm strength were traits we've seen get worse over time.

And lastly... the crying. You see players crying before the National Anthem or a playoff loss, but not during regular season games. He has been caught crying not once, but 3 straight years in a row. That's unheard of.

It's time for both parties to cut ties.
I'm as pro-move on from Mac as they come, but when did he actually cry besides the ankle sprain against Baltimore?

For that one, in his defense: those are often the most dramatic injuries you'll see from a pain reaction perspective. Remember how bad it looked for Gronk when he had that one in Denver in 2015? He looked despondent. Trevor Lawrence's injury this year?

It often is an injury known for looking like a season ender, but actually being a few week injury. ACL tears are often far less painful.

I'm as pro-move on from Mac as they come, but when did he actually cry besides the ankle sprain against Baltimore?

For that one, in his defense: those are often the most dramatic injuries you'll see from a pain reaction perspective. Remember how bad it looked for Gronk when he had that one in Denver in 2015? He looked despondent. Trevor Lawrence's injury this year?

It often is an injury known for looking like a season ender, but actually being a few week injury. ACL tears are often far less painful.
He was caught crying after both Saints games in 2021 and 2023. It's been discussed on here before.

We need to take a QB in the top 6-8 if not at 3, but who's gonna be the vet that opens next season and maybe plays the whole season? Unless we get a 4th rounder or better for Mac, I'd keep him as that vet. He's 25 years old. His contract calls for a $2.8m salary for 2024, and we won't find a decent vet for cheaper than that. I'd rather have Mac play that role for us than a Jakoby Brissett. There are negative intangibles to overcome, but Mayo and AVP can handle that.

I think Mac can be saved, but not here. I also feel like Zach Wilson should have sat behind a vet most of his rookie year. there are upper echelon QBs that can win despite a ****ty situation but that is very rare that those guys come around. I like Zachs arm better, but he and Mac both need good coaching.

Sounds like he's staying!
I told you guys.

MHJr is as good as a Patriot if he is there @ 3. My buddy is a diehard Bears fan and says that Chicago is drafting a QB.

We need to take a QB in the top 6-8 if not at 3, but who's gonna be the vet that opens next season and maybe plays the whole season? Unless we get a 4th rounder or better for Mac, I'd keep him as that vet. He's 25 years old. His contract calls for a $2.8m salary for 2024, and we won't find a decent vet for cheaper than that. I'd rather have Mac play that role for us than a Jakoby Brissett. There are negative intangibles to overcome, but Mayo and AVP can handle that.
Case Keenum is the Vet.

I told you guys.

MHJr is as good as a Patriot if he is there @ 3. My buddy is a diehard Bears fan and says that Chicago is drafting a QB.
If they take a WR #3 overall and wait until the top of the second to make their next pick, the Wolf/Mayo regime will already be an unmitigated failure.

If they take a WR #3 overall and wait until the top of the second to make their next pick, the Wolf/Mayo regime will already be an unmitigated failure.
They aren't competing next year. You have the leeway to take a building block piece who can help whoever the future QB ends up being someday.

If they don't believe in Daniels, the other QB's really shouldn't be drafted any higher than the mid 20's. It's basically burning the highest pick in franchise history drafting them in the top 10 even with a trade down.

Who would you want at slot?

They aren't competing next year. You have the leeway to take a building block piece who can help whoever the future QB ends up being someday.

If they don't believe in Daniels, the other QB's really shouldn't be drafted any higher than the mid 20's. It's basically burning the highest pick in franchise history drafting them in the top 10 even with a trade down.
Do you think the Texans thought they were going to compete in Stroud's rookie year? Did the 49ers know what they had in their third string QB "Mr Irrelevant" Brock Purdy?

The Pats had the 5th best defense and 32nd worst offense last season, they have to fix one side of the ball... it shouldn't be a long term rebuild.

They have the most money in football, and all their draft picks starting with #3 overall. If they don't believe in Daniels, do they believe in someone else?

Typo on the question. If you don't want a WR at #3, who do you want at that draft slot.
If it's not a QB, make it an Offensive Tackle or trade back a couple spots and again... take either one of those.

The only thing certain in football... winning starts at the line of scrimmage, football is won in the trenches.

If you get your QB right, get both of your lines on O and D right... you can figure everything else out. Weapons are everywhere.

God has made an endless supply of 6' foot tall athletes, he has made a very finite amount of 6'6" 320 lb athletes.

Why?

The Pats have nothing at WR and this is not a 1 year fix. Investing in a legit WR on a 4 year deal who will pay dividends from day 1 is the smart move. So is bringing Mac back for 2024. His present trade value is non existent and if the Pats can begin to fix the WR and OL positions to win 8 games, you have increased Jones trade value.

The worst move is to go QB at # 3 and be stuck with a BUST for 4 years like the Jets. No thanks.

Why?

The Pats have nothing at WR and this is not a 1 year fix. Investing in a legit WR on a 4 year deal who will pay dividends from day 1 is the smart move. So is bringing Mac back for 2024. His present trade value is non existent and if the Pats can begin to fix the WR and OL positions to win 8 games, you have increased Jones trade value.

The worst move is to go QB at # 3 and be stuck with a BUST for 4 years like the Jets. No thanks.
Go read Irving Fryar’s wiki page…

Also trade Mac for a 6th/7th round swap, there’s a reason his trade value is worthless.

Go read Irving Fryar’s wiki page…

Also trade Mac for a 6th/7th round swap, there’s a reason his trade value is worthless.
I expect they will get a 5th maybe even a 4th for Jones. Trey Lance got a 4th in return and he’s literally done nothing in the league and in the few stints he’s had he was no better than Jones. Just takes one team.

Your hero Zappe is the one who has no trade value. 31 other teams wouldn’t even take him for free when he was cut last summer. Nuff said. But the Browns game or something…

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back