PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to decide by May to pick up the option for Cooper at 11.9 million ... ???

So he's here for 1 year then .......
Yea his deal is getting redone. No way that happens.

Bottom line is Tom Brady is 39 years old, this team won the Super Bowl two years ago, could have done it again last year if they didn't mail in the last two games.

I don't care if pick 61 or the Cardinals back up to the previously cut by the Patriots Ted Larsen pans out. Nothing will matter after Brady retires. You could have kept Jones for another run this year and franchised or traded him after that.

You are all dreaming if you think the Pat's are going to retain Hightower, Collins, and Butler after this year, because the Pat's are still handicapped by that ridiculous contract they gave McCourty last off season. The Pat's are incredible lucky that they have (now) their three best players on the cheap (Brady, Gronk (you know Chandlers BFF) and Edelman, go for it now, who cares if they are in cap hell after Brady retires, because it really won't make a difference.
Dude go fist yourself. Go root for the Ravens or something

I think many could see that Sheard's play bumped him in BB's mind as a priority over Chandler Jones. I know people are framing it as Collins, Hightower, and Butler who need to be kept. But really it's Collins, Hightower, Butler and Sheard.

Question?

If Easley plays a full season, and has the same production as last year, where do you rank him?

Granted hes not up next year (2018) but its something to start thinking about.

And he still fetched a first-rounder. Have to wonder what Al Davis would've given us for Jones if he were still around.

I bet a 1st. Al loved those guys that got after the QB.

I really don't think we know if he's even on the roster

Its absolutely an open question. I expect that they will rework his deal. If he doesn't budge they very may well cut him.

Right. I forgot the factor the cap hit of the new player, Cooper. That changes my thoughts on the trade slightly, although I still feel as if it's a good move.

Extending HT may actually lessen his 2016 cap hit, but as you mention, both Collins and Butler would increase it. Either way, we would be at or around the 20m dollar mark with either a Cannon cut or Amendola decrease, so I think they should be in good shape.

As others have mentioned, things really open up next year with a decent amount of cap room.

I agree with this, but again, the players have to be extended this year for a friendly contract on future years. This is why you'd need the money this year. Otherwise, if the Patriots are just going to take the $5m savings and sign players like Chris Long and others, I go back to my original position.

Yeah, I assume that the only reason why Cooper's fifth-year option so high is that they must calculate it the same way they do franchise tag values: by grouping all offensive linemen together as one position. Which means that if you exercise these options on guards, you're pretty much paying the left tackle rate for them.

Compared to other actual guards, the only guy who's even in the ballpark of $12M is Kelechi Osemele, who just signed that huge deal with the Raiders that carries a $13M cap hit in 2016. But in addition to being as young as Cooper is, Osemele's also a top-5 player at his position. That contract isn't a comparable for Cooper, because Cooper is at best maybe half the player that Osemele is. No other guard has a cap hit of even $10M, and anyone who's in the ~$8M range got there by being much better than Cooper is.

yeah, the 5th yr option for the top 10 picks is equal to transition tag

I get the feeling there is a fair bit of Erika Leigh about him. A lot of his "info" seems made up.
It is made up. It's twitter.

So, Arizona's regular second round pick is "really late" but the compensatory pick that comes _after_ all other regular picks in the third round doesn't get the same qualifier ? We got to jump a full round at a very early stage of the draft where the difference of 32 picks still makes a huge difference.

To me one more season of Jones and a 3rd round pick is worth more than a late 2nd round pick. Every year with Brady as QB we are in Super Bowl contention, and good players like Jones help that cause more than unknown rookies who could end up being busts.

Given how the draft process is a collaborative effort for the Patriots and how Tavon Wilson was just signed by Bob Quinn and the Lions maybe we should stop calling out BB for that pick. I think there is some nice conclusive evidence that he might have been a binkie of Quinn. But I guess this would ruin the stupid narrative, right ?

That still doesn't change my point one bit, Belichick is still hit-and-miss on 2nd round picks. Belichick had some good picks (ex. Gronk, Collins, Vollmer, Matt Light, etc.) but also had some horrendous picks such as Aaron "Glassfoot" Dobson, Ras-IR Dowling, Darius Butler, etc. Regardless of who is making those picks that doesn't change the fact that those 2nd round picks don't mean ****. I get that many other GMs also whiff on picks but that just further proves that an extra season of Jones' production and a 3rd are worth more than a 2nd round pick.

Except by saving cap space we will have more resources to extend the key players. It's not like there is no carryover. Also, I am not sure why everyone mentiones Hightower/Collins/Butler but completely ignores Sheard. We will need a nice amount of money to keep those players.

Because we can get some of the extensions done this offseason with Jones still on the roster and we can get the rest done when Jones walks. The only way those don't get done is if Jones gets extended which wasn't what I was advocating.

Cooper was extremely highly rated on the Patriots draft board. I am certain Scar saw many things that he really liked. That's enough to convince me to take a flyer on him. You might still end up being right that Cooper remains a bust but at the very least the FO proactively tried to improve the OL without breaking the bank or selling future draft picks.

It doesn't mean anything if he was rated highly on the Pats draft board. His past performances with Arizona has been awful and nothing changes that. I agree that it's nice that the FO tried to improve the iOL but for now Cooper isn't the solution until he proves he is.

To me one more season of Jones and a 3rd round pick is worth more than a late 2nd round pick. Every year with Brady as QB we are in Super Bowl contention, and good players like Jones help that cause more than unknown rookies who could end up being busts.

That still doesn't change my point one bit, Belichick is still hit-and-miss on 2nd round picks. Belichick had some good picks (ex. Gronk, Collins, Vollmer, Matt Light, etc.) but also had some horrendous picks such as Aaron "Glassfoot" Dobson, Ras-IR Dowling, Darius Butler, etc. Regardless of who is making those picks that doesn't change the fact that those 2nd round picks don't mean ****. I get that many other GMs also whiff on picks but that just further proves that an extra season of Jones' production and a 3rd are worth more than a 2nd round pick.

Because we can get some of the extensions done this offseason with Jones still on the roster and we can get the rest done when Jones walks. The only way those don't get done is if Jones gets extended which wasn't what I was advocating.

It doesn't mean anything if he was rated highly on the Pats draft board. His past performances with Arizona has been awful and nothing changes that. I agree that it's nice that the FO tried to improve the iOL but for now Cooper isn't the solution until he proves he is.

Hey live look at flash
200w.gif

Not really worried about the big cap hit if they pick up his fifth year option. If he doesn't pan out in 2016 they can cut him any time before 9/1 2017 and have him cost $0 for that year. OR they can decline his option and put him in the position to be playing for his career this year and deal with the cap consequences later.

Either way, I'd be good with it. There is no question he has the talent to be an all pro G. The issue is his will and perhaps coaching schemes. I've read some comments that his "toughness" doesn't rise close to the Mankins level and that's been part of his problem. Well we all know that Scar will test that toughness, so it will rise or Cooper's 2nd year with the Pats will be a moot point.

In the end I think Jones' value in the draft market rated a 2nd round pick in the 40's if that was the only compensation the Pats got. Given that they got #61 PLUS the potential of a high end guard is more than sufficient. Certainly there is some risk involved, but even if Cooper completely fails, we got decent value for the player, even if it wasn't top value. IF Cooper rises to the level as a just a "solid" NFL starter, then this trade was more than fair. IF he reaches his full potential here, then it was a huge win.

Now we just have to wait and see, and time will tell. I won't pretend to having a clue as to how it will turn out

Last edited:
We have to decide by May to pick up the option for Cooper at 11.9 million ... ???

So he's here for 1 year then .......

Yea 1 year rental unless they can work out an extension, which im sure would negate the $11 mill bonus next year as an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes