PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel tagged per ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is NO WAY Patten makes this team!

Wanna feel old? Yours was the 37th post in this thread...and only the 3rd from somebody who was on the board back then!

(Yeah, I'm old too.)

Just curious, but do ANY of you think they applied the franchise tag and intend to KEEP Cassel? I can see the excitement about the potential trade offers that he could bring, but in light of Tom's injury, wouldn't it also be wise to keep a young, talented QB that the team has faith in, waiting in the wings just in case of a "worst case scenerio" with Brady? I hop Brady comes back strong and his level of play doesn't take a hit, but isn't anyone worried that that might not be the case? I'm sure you guys all have a lot more insight into all of this than I, but it makes SOME sense to me to hang onto the guy too.

Succinctly:

No

(Unless the Patriots currently KNOW Brady's injury is much more severe)

Just curious, but do ANY of you think they applied the franchise tag and intend to KEEP Cassel? I can see the excitement about the potential trade offers that he could bring, but in light of Tom's injury, wouldn't it also be wise to keep a young, talented QB that the team has faith in, waiting in the wings just in case of a "worst case scenerio" with Brady? I hop Brady comes back strong and his level of play doesn't take a hit, but isn't anyone worried that that might not be the case? I'm sure you guys all have a lot more insight into all of this than I, but it makes SOME sense to me to hang onto the guy too.

I don't think they really have any intentions at the moment IMHO. This is a way to protect the team. Of course I'm worried Brady might not be Brady when he comes back, but there's a lot of time before training camp. This way the Pats can afford to wait and see how his rehab does and act accordingly.

Succinctly:

No

(Unless the Patriots currently KNOW Brady's injury is much more severe)

Ok. So what are your other options like at QB? Do you think the Pats try to get a veteran backup or maybe draft a QB? Like I said, I haven't really lookied into all of this as much as I'm sure all of you did. Just trying to get an idea of where trading Cassel leaves you guys in terms of depth at QB.

Minnesotta & Chicago would be two teams that could use his services most. Minny especially. They have a team in place that could realistically win the NFC with a productive QB. Niether teams picks aren in the top 10, so it's not as if they'd be surrending some sort of franchise altering asset, as compensation. Detroit's #20 makes sense, but would Cassel want to go to Detroit, which I think will play into where he ends up. KC isn't really a match with respect to players, nor picks. They, as they shouldn't, won't offer the 3rd pick, and their #34 (?) in the 2nd round isn't exactly what I'd be hoping for from a Patriots perspective. Tampa is another team to consider.

I say:

#1 Minny
#2 Chicago
#3 Tampa
#4 Detroit
#5 KC

Those are the teams I think are most likely as a destination.

Don't forget the 49ers. Other teams who could surprise us are Carolina, The Jets, Arizona, and Seattle.

Teams that I think would interest Cassel would be:

1) Arizona
2) Tampa
3) Minnesota
4) Chicago
5) Carolina
6) Seattle
7) San Fran
8) Detroit

Not that I have all that much say in the decision, but I haven't closed off any avenue as a possibility at this point (except for trading Brady, that is). However, I don't see a healthy Brady and a healthy Cassel being on the same roster next year.

Ok. So what are your other options like at QB? Do you think the Pats try to get a veteran backup or maybe draft a QB? Like I said, I haven't really lookied into all of this as much as I'm sure all of you did. Just trying to get an idea of where trading Cassel leaves you guys in terms of depth at QB.

Trading Cassel would leave 2008 3rd round pick Kevin O'Connell and former practice squadder Matt Gutierrez who was brought back to be the 3rd QB last year after getting cut in training camp. In other words, neither would be an ideal starter if Cassel was traded and Brady went down again. But there's draft pick compensation that could be offered for Cassel that would make that risk a tolerable one.

i would guess that 80% believe we are trading cassel for picks

i would guess that 20% (including myself) believe we will be keeping him

theres really no way to know. but, if we do trade him, to me at least, that means Brady is progressing very, very well. so, if we do trade him, not only will we get a nice pick or 2, but we should feel more confident about Brady heading into next season

While Cassel can't negotiate with other teams, the Patriots inform Cassel of their intent to trade him and ask him what teams he'd like to go to and what sort of contract he'd be looking for.

Then, the Patriots can approach those teams and inform them of what Cassel is looking for, in general, and then the Pats can either ask those teams what they'd offer in return for Cassel or the Pats can tell them what they expect in return.

There are ways around the other teams not being able to negotiate directly with Cassel.

If, as reported, he received the "non-exclusive franchise tender", he most certainly CAN negotiate with other teams. Generally this option is not used and mostly with the intent of working a trade.

From Wiki:

"There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player."

If, as reported, he received the "non-exclusive franchise tender", he most certainly CAN negotiate with other teams. Generally this option is not used and mostly with the intent of working a trade.

From Wiki:

"There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player."

I understand the difference between the tags. You took my post out of context. Look at the Rob0729's post, which is the one I replied to. Cassel can not negotiate with teams PRIOR to the start of free agency. My post was showing a way that Cassel can be involved prior to the start of free agency.

Reiss says that the Pats used the NON-EXCLUSIVE Franchise Tag on Cassel.
Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The Patriots’ decision to place the non-exclusive franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel today – on the first possible day – creates a larger negotiating window with teams that might be interested in acquiring Cassel in a trade.

The Patriots had until Feb. 19 to make the decision.

The Patriots could now also give Cassel’s representatives permission to speak with interested teams about a possible contract – a key piece because any trade for Cassel would have to include a long-term contract extension.

With those pieces needed to fall into place – working out trade compensation, as well as Cassel’s representatives working out a new deal – the team might be thinking that "the more time, the better."

It also allows more time for a potential market for Cassel to take shape.

This is the time of year when most clubs are finalizing their free-agent and offseason strategy, the calm before the storm. The official start of free agency is Feb. 27.

Don't forget the 49ers. Other teams who could surprise us are Carolina, The Jets, Arizona, and Seattle.

Teams that I think would interest Cassel would be:

1) Arizona
2) Tampa
3) Minnesota
4) Chicago
5) Carolina
6) Seattle
7) San Fran
8) Detroit

I for the life of me don't know why Detroit wouldn't offer the 20th overall for Cassel and draft LT Andre Smith number 1. Even if some other team (i.e. chicago) comes in higher, the Lions have to make that offer. Just have too.

Not that it's the best offer the pats may or may not get but it's a starting point.

if we do trade him, 2 first round draft picks would be amazing

Now we got ya!!!:D:D

Just kidding of course but man other teams must look at us and hate us. We lose our first rounder last year (spygate) but we still had #10 from SF which netted us the DROY.

On top of that we turn a 7th round pick into possibly two first rounders:D:D:D Jet fans are jumping off buildings right now. We could be looking at two picks in the first three rounds this year plus two first next year aswell (ours and another if someone try's to sign Cassel.

One thing that always gets me about trades involving draft picks is that GM give a lot up (as far as draft picks) to get an established player. Good examples are Jared Allen and Roy Williams, hell Mike Ditka gave up his entire draft to get Rickey Williams who was a rookie aswell.

I think we will all be extremely surprised to see just how much BB will get out of some team for Cassel. I personally think that two first rounders will be cheap for Cassel before everything is said and done.

Last edited:
I understand the difference between the tags. You took my post out of context. Look at the Rob0729's post, which is the one I replied to. Cassel can not negotiate with teams PRIOR to the start of free agency. My post was showing a way that Cassel can be involved prior to the start of free agency.

Read it too fast trying to type around a 2 yr. old. You've been here long enough I figured you knew, but some of these other pups don't know, so I threw it out there. No offense meant.

It would leave us with Tom Brady.

If not Tom then I am sure BB will sign a Vet to get through the first of the season.

We drafted O'Connell in the third round last year for a reason.

I like Gutz last pre-season and wanted us to cut Cassel and keep him. I am glad BB does not ask for my advise:D:D

Bottom line is Cassel at 14.5 million was too expensive to be insurance for Brady as we can sign a vet for 12-13million cheaper.

I for the life of me don't know why Detroit wouldn't offer the 20th overall for Cassel and draft LT Andre Smith number 1. Even if some other team (i.e. chicago) comes in higher, the Lions have to make that offer. Just have too.

Not that it's the best offer the pats may or may not get but it's a starting point.

Detroit's second round pick thrown in would make you happy, I'm guessing....

Detroit's second round pick thrown in would make you happy, I'm guessing....

I can't speak for him but it would make me happy!!

Picks #20, 23 and 33....Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

Wanna feel old? Yours was the 37th post in this thread...and only the 3rd from somebody who was on the board back then!

(Yeah, I'm old too.)

HA!.....I recall making a case for his "Glue Hands" and getting laughed at.

That dude made the team too!

this Cassel thing remided me of the never ending threads about Patten....

Then what the definition of what "Tight" is later.

i was never against anyone. we are all patriots fans right

Yes I covered that in the last thread we all want the same thing we all just have different ways on how to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes