PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel tagged per ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Cassel can't negotiate with other teams, the Patriots inform Cassel of their intent to trade him and ask him what teams he'd like to go to and what sort of contract he'd be looking for.

Then, the Patriots can approach those teams and inform them of what Cassel is looking for, in general, and then the Pats can either ask those teams what they'd offer in return for Cassel or the Pats can tell them what they expect in return.

There are ways around the other teams not being able to negotiate directly with Cassel.

Additionally if they get a deal that even does not offer a pair of ones perhaps like a few picks and a player that the Pats would like to own, they can cut the deal and rescind the Tag.
DW Toys

I for the life of me don't know why Detroit wouldn't offer the 20th overall for Cassel and draft LT Andre Smith number 1. Even if some other team (i.e. chicago) comes in higher, the Lions have to make that offer. Just have too.

Not that it's the best offer the pats may or may not get but it's a starting point.

I agree, this is their best option and their quickest way back to decency. You draft the stud anchor LT and the young stud QB throwing to a stud #1 WR. Right there is the core of your offense for the next 8 years. You already have a good young RB. But here's the problem. It's the Detroit Lions. So what would seem to be a very logical and obvious thing to do to many isn't always the case with a team that believes that drafting WRs real high is the best way to rebuild.

Last edited:
Additionally if they get a deal that even does not offer a pair of ones perhaps like a few picks and a player that the Pats would like to own, they can cut the deal and rescind the Tag.
DW Toys

We'll get a 1 in there somewhere. A 2nd this year and a 1st next year would be acceptable. A 1st and 3rd this year would be better. ;)

Hmm.. I wonder if any of the people who said that there was no way in hell that Cassel would be franchised will come in and admit they were wrong...
I'll admit, that when the very first conversations came up about keeping Cassel (soon after all the 'We're Doomed!' threads dominated), I felt there was no way the Pats would, could or should keep him. Of course that was also before the concerns of infections and a delayed rehab, as well as Cassel's finish to the season (as opposed to the start of the season, with his preseason still fresh in our minds.) At the time I was much more confident Brady would be back, had seen less to make me believe Cassel was worth it - to the Pats or someone else - and based a lot of that opinion on all the others that BB had let walk when their asking price was higher than the value he placed on them. Maybe it was wong, but it seemed logical to me at the time.

Last edited:
According to Reiss, its his belief that the Pats have given Cassel permission to talk to other teams. That is what AYJackson pointed out to me.

Re-reading Reiss, he speculates that the Pats will give permission, as opposed to have given permission - if there's an appreciable difference.

DW Toys

Huh? Not following you. As soon as the Pats rescind the tag, Cassel becomes a free agent and obviously can't be traded. In fact, the only way the Pats can trade Cassel is to keep him tagged and for him to sign the tender.

Tagging Cassel now vs. at the deadline has no practical implication for him being traded. Either way, nobody can talk to Cassel. Either way, the Pats can discuss trading him.

There is a psychological component to tagging him immediately...
"Cassel is so valuable, we would never even consider not tagging him. In fact, we don't even need time to check out his market value since we know he is worth the $15M it would take to keep him. We are fully prepared to keep him for 2009 and if you want to trade for him, come prepared to pony up."

I don't believe for a second that the Pats really want a $15M backup/insurance policy. But that is the hand they are showing to maximize Cassel's trade value.

If, as reported, he received the "non-exclusive franchise tender", he most certainly CAN negotiate with other teams. Generally this option is not used and mostly with the intent of working a trade.

Actually, the non-exclusive tag is almost always the one used (in part because it costs less).

Don't forget the 49ers. Other teams who could surprise us are Carolina, The Jets, Arizona, and Seattle.

Teams that I think would interest Cassel would be:

1) Arizona
2) Tampa
3) Minnesota
4) Chicago
5) Carolina
6) Seattle
7) San Fran
8) Detroit

1. Matt Lienart? nah.
2. very possible
3. ditto
4. maybe
5. 2, and 3.
6. 4
7. 4
8. they may want to take an offensive lineman.

Chris Mortensen thinks so. Personally, I couldn't disagree more.

I also really doubt that 20% of this board thinks that the Patriots plan on keeping a 14+ million backup.

it's ALL about being a shrewd, wise businessman.

and there is NOTHING wrong with it.

I approve of this message!

Finally, at least no more speculation on which day he will be signed, on to the whether or not he will be traded and if Brady will be healthy next season debate!

I think channel 7 may have had the best title. "Tag, You're Rich".

All I keep hearing from non-Pats people is Matt Cassel isn't worth the price, that it's better to go after Derek Anderson. What are these people smoking?

it's just never stops, J.C.

it's the A.D.D. Generation...they just can't help it

You've got to be joking me. As a GM, you should listen to all offers. I'm not saying that they should pursue trading their HOF QB, but don't for one second, get so loyal to one guy, albeit a franchise guy, that that one player becomes bigger than the goals of winning.

Just curious, but do ANY of you think they applied the franchise tag and intend to KEEP Cassel? I can see the excitement about the potential trade offers that he could bring, but in light of Tom's injury, wouldn't it also be wise to keep a young, talented QB that the team has faith in, waiting in the wings just in case of a "worst case scenerio" with Brady? I hop Brady comes back strong and his level of play doesn't take a hit, but isn't anyone worried that that might not be the case? I'm sure you guys all have a lot more insight into all of this than I, but it makes SOME sense to me to hang onto the guy too.

No, they have two other young backups and a league full of possible QB pickups. Remember, any team in the league could have picked up Cassel for what is essentially a throw away pick (see 2007 draft, the Patriots threw away about 5).

It's no mistake the Patriots turn freebies into indispensable players. Why not have faith in the other QBs they've chosen to develop?

as expected the franchise tag arrived to Cassel; now let's see what will happens...
interesting at least...

So what happens if more than one team is willing to give up two first rounders and sign him outright?

Is it simply first come, first serve?

That might persuade some team to act quickly if they are interested and have a late 1st selection.

That would be F-in great!

Last edited:
All I keep hearing from non-Pats people is Matt Cassel isn't worth the price, that it's better to go after Derek Anderson. What are these people smoking?

No freaking kidding. I heard the same thing on Sirius NFL radio yesterday, the guys on there were saying "I keep hearing Minnesota but they can just trade lower comp for Anderson and keep the first." Sure, if they want to be back in the same spot next year. Anderson completion %
2006: 56.4
2007: 56.5
2008: 50.2
43 TD 35 INT

He's barely an NFL caliber QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes