PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

Reminder for folks that legal tampering period starts tomorrow 3/13. We should get an idea of the market for Meyers and Jones soon.

If you want a good player, no matter the position, it's going to cost at least $20m per.

Daron Payne, $90m for 4 years, $60m guaranteed up front.
How much do you think it would cost to trade for or sign a RB to play next to Stevenson. $20M :)

We have many, many needs. Not all will cost $20M to fill, a good thing since we need: OT, WR, WR, CB, S, S

1. Draft a #1 corner with top pick
2. Sign a decent (not necessarily “elite”) right tackle in free agency
3. Sign a quality off-ball LB
4. Trade for a WR to be their #1 receiver

Change RT for LT . and decent for top tier and we have a deal..

Add top tier FS in FA (relatively cheap to other pos) as higher priority than top-tier LB

How much do you think it would cost to trade for or sign a RB to play next to Stevenson. $20M :)

We have many, many needs. Not all will cost $20M to fill, a good thing since we need: OT, WR, WR, CB, S, S
I would say a good player at all those positions (maybe not safety) will cost you $20m at this point. Not RB or punter though.

Who is MLFootball? Do they have any higher credibility than Simon Charles, Erika Leigh, Sharks of Vegas, and Incarcerated Bob?
How dare you leave out Justin Ramos, aka Fake Gasper.

1A8B142C-E9BC-4E59-96B9-4B0CFA8053DF.jpeg

Justin has a lot of balls, still identifying himself as an NFL reporter and Patriots Insider in his twitter bio, when his only real source is a buddy who sometimes drives the visiting players to and from the airport. This supposed friend totally f*cked him on the ODB rumor in 2021 (the infamous OBJ story about him flying into Hanscom before heading to Foxboro) and made him look like an absolute fool, but this balloon knot doubled-down and continues to live in fantasyland.

There is nearly a 100% chance that JR posts on this site. Show yourself, turd!

Last edited:
I would say a good player at all those positions (maybe not safety) will cost you $20m at this point. Not RB or punter though.
So, your position is that it would cost us $20M or more to get a Tier 1 OT, CB or WR,

I agree.

We need all three plus a top safety (in addition to Peppers).

So, do you think that we should pay $20M, $20M, 20M and a bit less for a safety?

My solution is that we should
1) use our 1st for one of these needs, specifically one of the top 3 OT's.
2) trade for a WR
3) re-sign Jones
4) re-sign Peppers
5) Sign a mid-level WR (with a wish and hope of success)
6) Sign a mid-level S (Belichick has been very successful here)

How dare you leave out Justin Ramos, aka Fake Gasper.

View attachment 50375

Justin has a lot of balls, still identifying himself as an NFL reporter and Patriots Insider in his twitter bio, when his only real source is a buddy who sometimes drives the visiting players to and from the airport. This supposed friend totally f*cked him on the ODB rumor in 2021 (the infamous OBJ story about him flying into Hanscom before heading to Foxboro) and made him look like an absolute fool, but this balloon knot doubled-down and continues to live in fantasyland.

There is nearly a 100% chance that JR posts on this site. Show yourself, turd!
It’s been a rough few days for Ramos. He credited David Butler for a number of reports, but Butler is only a photographer. His name is in the credits for the photo at the top of Doug Kyed’s article.

Then he claimed that McCourty was leaning toward coming back for another year, just before he actually announced his retirement.

An overall pats thought entering free agency: There has been a lot of talk about them lacking elite talent & being far behind the rest of the afc east. While they need to add 20+ APY players to their payroll as they currently don't have any they have a chance to have a best in the NFL unit already.

Matt Judon - back to back years with 60+ pressures & 12.5+ sacks. The best player on the team & while he has faded down the stretch the pats pass rushing depth should be able to keep him more fresh.

Josh Uche - The only pass rusher in the NFL with 6 straight games of 5+ pressures. It didn't matter whether the LT was weak or top 10 like Kolton Miller he had his way with them. Uche had one of the best under 25 pass rushing seasons in recent memory & I'm not sure people realize how productive he was.

Christian Barmore - On the surface he had an injury riddled sophomore season. However, he improved alot as a run defender & the pats DL dominated elite OLs (Browns, Lions) when he played. He started to flash his potential with 11 pressures in his final two games. As long as he stays healthy he should be a difference maker at one of the most important positions in the league.

Also the pats were the only team with 3 pass rushers with 50+ pressures with Wise as one of them. Him as a 4th pass rusher isn't too shabby. The pats pressured Josh Allen 26 times & held the bills to 3.6 YPC in the season finale. STs & a lack of CB depth bailed took away from their performance IMO.

The pats could have a special pass rushing unit. If they can improve the backend to play man coverage behind them & field a competent offense I think they'll be significantly improved from last year.

But they give cooper as an example as well
Browns took the cap and the trade price was cheap for a player his caliber
Dhop for a second is insane if we have to take the cap as well
A fourth seems about right
No on robbie Anderson. He sucks. Period. End of story.
I know I was referring too some times BB gets infatuated with some players so I was saying he'll probably do the exact opposite of what everyone thinks we need.. I won't go as far as saying he sucks hey he's still in the N
Maybe they want Murphy- Bunting in FA. 25 years old and getting better. I sure hope so. Deep draft at CB too. Ramsey is a mistake, glad we passed.
Can't remember if I responded.. But yes Murphy-bunting is absolutely the guy we should be targeting.. fast, physical, tough and excellent ball skills.. would love to have he and Jack on the outside.
I believe he could at least challenge Diggs. For anyone that ever thinks CBs aren't important.

AFC east top WRs
Garrett Wilson
Steph Diggs
Gabe Davis
Tyreek Hill
Jalen Waddle

Holes we need to fill (these could be filled by returning free agents)

right tackle - can’t go into the season with just McDermott. Need to find a vet
free safety - don’t currently have one on the roster. Could be Jon Jones, could be Mills or ideally a Free agent like Bates or Love but need to get someone in. Vital position in our D
slot receiver - this could be Meyers but if not we need to find a new slot guy like Berrios or Campbell. A few mid round draft guys could fit here too but tough to jump straight I in year one.
outside corner - this could simply be an upgrade position as have Mills and Jack Jones but definitely need a 3rd and 4th guy here - ideally Jon Jones and a bigger guy. Could be a draft pick instead of FA.
passing back - haven’t ever replaced White and it showed last year. Draft picks take a little seasoning so a vet seems likely.
punter - self explanatory

areas we should look to upgrade

linebacker - an improved coverage linebacker would be good. Mid level FA type maybe.
boundary receiver - Parker is fine but need someone with more explosiveness who demands a double team to take this team to the level it needs to get to. May have to look at trade market. This seems tough to really improve on given availability.

areas lacking depth

edge rusher - need a 3rd guy behind Judon and Uche. Think a veteran here rather than draft, and provides cover in case Uche leaves next year
left tackle - unlikely we have more than one year of Brown. Need to get developing his replacement. Ideally a high draft pick
guard/centre backup - need a starting level backup like Karras who can cover guard and centre. Find a mid/cheap FA
defensive tackle - this could be in the previous category but need someone to compete with Godshaux and Guy. Again a cheap FA
tight end - could do with a young guy to groom behind Henry and Smith who may both be gone next year. Seems a draft priority in this deep class.

An overall pats thought entering free agency: There has been a lot of talk about them lacking elite talent & being far behind the rest of the afc east. While they need to add 20+ APY players to their payroll as they currently don't have any they have a chance to have a best in the NFL unit already.

Matt Judon - back to back years with 60+ pressures & 12.5+ sacks. The best player on the team & while he has faded down the stretch the pats pass rushing depth should be able to keep him more fresh.

Josh Uche - The only pass rusher in the NFL with 6 straight games of 5+ pressures. It didn't matter whether the LT was weak or top 10 like Kolton Miller he had his way with them. Uche had one of the best under 25 pass rushing seasons in recent memory & I'm not sure people realize how productive he was.

Christian Barmore - On the surface he had an injury riddled sophomore season. However, he improved alot as a run defender & the pats DL dominated elite OLs (Browns, Lions) when he played. He started to flash his potential with 11 pressures in his final two games. As long as he stays healthy he should be a difference maker at one of the most important positions in the league.

Also the pats were the only team with 3 pass rushers with 50+ pressures with Wise as one of them. Him as a 4th pass rusher isn't too shabby. The pats pressured Josh Allen 26 times & held the bills to 3.6 YPC in the season finale. STs & a lack of CB depth bailed took away from their performance IMO.

The pats could have a special pass rushing unit. If they can improve the backend to play man coverage behind them & field a competent offense I think they'll be significantly improved from last year.
Agreed good post. Most of our talent is on defense. Judon by far to me makes up for the miss on jannu Smith. He's been everything and more as a patriot.

The aggressive approach from other teams in the AFC started long ago. We were always the dominant team #1 or #2 in our conference each year.

Took the bills years to finally get a QB.

Jets made a little noise under Rex but ultimately that ran it's course.

Miami would have a decent season and then be bottom of the division for years.

We are just a few pieces away in my opinion.. with some stability on offense when it's all put together I think we will be competitive

Agreed good post. Most of our talent is on defense. Judon by far to me makes up for the miss on jannu Smith. He's been everything and more as a patriot.

The aggressive approach from other teams in the AFC started long ago. We were always the dominant team #1 or #2 in our conference each year.

Took the bills years to finally get a QB.

Jets made a little noise under Rex but ultimately that ran it's course.

Miami would have a decent season and then be bottom of the division for years.

We are just a few pieces away in my opinion.. with some stability on offense when it's all put together I think we will be competitive
A few pieces away on Defense?? We need quite a few pieces to be competent on Offense.

They don't even need many pieces on defense if they bring back Jonathan Jones (have to find a free safety), it's more than competent the way it is, even if it lacks elite talent aside from Judon. They were sabtoaged by the offense and special teams last year, they are good enough to contend with. Offense needs a complete revamping, they have a long way to go to go back to the 2021 level and I'd argue even that wasn't good enough.

A few pieces away on Defense?? We need quite a few pieces to be competent on Offense.
What I'm saying is.. we were dam good on defense last season.. heck we dam near scored more than our offense at times.

A lock down corner and another LB is what we need defensively

However on offense if we got just not 1 but, 2 impact WRs we'd be in the conversation again.

I don't get Andrew Callahan. He says the Pats' big splash in free agency should be to retain Jakobi Meyers even if it costs $15-17 million a year. I just don't get it. Meyers is a good player, but he really isn't what O'Brien likes in a receiver. O'Brien wants receivers to get open quickly and get YAC. Under McDaniels, Meyers struggled with a lot of bread and butter Patriots routes especially rub routes. He was not good at bringing the defender to a spot quickly that they would be picked by another receiver or defender.

I don't mind bringing him back at like $12 million a year. But if he is the biggest free agent acquisition, this offseason is a failure.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back