PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel tagged per ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read it too fast trying to type around a 2 yr. old. You've been here long enough I figured you knew, but some of these other pups don't know, so I threw it out there. No offense meant.

No worries....I figured you might have missed something. That's why I didn't tar and feather you like I would others ;):D

it's official...
you can change title...

I used to think we'd get a 1st and a 3rd for Matt. Now I'm thinking at least a 1st and a 2nd.

Keeping him wouldn't be a bad idea either. We win either way!

I'm just surprised that bspn is reporting the news first.
In a way I really want it to not be true - at least for a few days - just to see how they spin it.

I smell Floyd Reese all over this. I still can't believe the Pats would hire Reese, Mr. "Someone Hire Me", knowing that he will keep his lines of communication open with his "friends" at ESPN. This probably won't be the first thing that ESPN breaks when it comes to the Patriots and I bet it will all lead back to the Pats new "special" advisor.

Sorry if this had already been discussed on the previous 7 pages, but when can we actually trade Cassel?? Can we trade him now if they already worked out a deal with another team? Or do we have to wait for free agency to begin? Im so confused!!

Once he signs it, he's free to talk to other teams, right?

So, seeing how they did this so early, I think they did this for Matt so he can go out and talk to whomever he wants -If he's an insurance policy for Brady, then I think they wait and do it later in the month, closer to the deadline as there would be no rush and no benefit to doing it early, other then it being a headline and we all know Bill does not like ANYBODY making headlines unless it's about winning games.

I think the most we can expect in a trade is a mid 1st round.

18) Chicago
19) Tampa Bay
20) Detroit
&
22) Minnesota

are all strong possibilities.

Considering the Vikings viewed Jared Allen so highly that they nearly parted with two first round draft picks, I can see they being just as agressive for a franchise QB too.

I think they learned that they are better off negotiating a better deal than parting with the top picks in following years. Last year, they traded their 17th, 73rd, 82nd and swapped sixth round picks. I really don't see the the Pats getting two first round picks for Cassel (even though I would love to see it). Most likely, and without any disappointment from me, they will part with their first round pick and some combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks from either this year or next. Maybe they feel confident and are thinking next years first round pick will be #32 and shoot for the moon too.

Sorry if this had already been discussed on the previous 7 pages, but when can we actually trade Cassel?? Can we trade him now if they already worked out a deal with another team? Or do we have to wait for free agency to begin? Im so confused!!

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong, but he can now talk to anyone he wants and sign/trade at the begining of Free Agency (The end of the Month).

Great news! The 2009 season is officially underway!!:D

Considering the Vikings viewed Jared Allen so highly that they nearly parted with two first round draft picks, I can see they being just as agressive for a franchise QB too.

I think they learned that they are better off negotiating a better deal than parting with the top picks in following years. Last year, they traded their 17th, 73rd, 82nd and swapped sixth round picks. I really don't see the the Pats getting two first round picks for Cassel (even though I would love to see it). Most likely, and without any disappointment from me, they will part with their first round pick and some combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks from either this year or next. Maybe they feel confident and are thinking next years first round pick will be #32 and shoot for the moon too.

This is so out of the norm for Bill, I gotta believe that he's just fired the rockets and he's telling everyone if you want him, start the bidding.

I have no doubt this has been mentioned, but if I were Bill (and I am far from that level of football knowledge).... I would listen to offers for either QB, Brady or Cassel. Where ever the best offer lands with all factors considered should determine who the QB in 09 is. I'm sure, in the end, it will be Brady though.

I have no doubt this has been mentioned, but if I were Bill (and I am far from that level of football knowledge).... I would listen to offers for either QB, Brady or Cassel. Where ever the best offer lands with all factors considered should determine who the QB in 09 is. I'm sure, in the end, it will be Brady though.

You're right, absolutely, but I'd still recommend you seek shelter immediately and cover your head.

Last edited:
This is so out of the norm for Bill, I gotta believe that he's just fired the rockets and he's telling everyone if you want him, start the bidding.

This is SO awesome:singing: Create a bidding war, and QB's are like GOLD this season too. Draft day 09 is going to ROCK :rocker: This year's Pats will be killer imho:D

Hmm.. I wonder if any of the people who said that there was no way in hell that Cassel would be franchised will come in and admit they were wrong...

In any case, I don't believe that Cassel is allowed to talk to other teams until the start of free agency. I think that, until that time, he can only work on a long term deal with the Pats.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the Pats can talk to Cassel about what teams would be of interest to him and what his contract demands would be.. and the Pats could talk to those teams to find out what they'd be willing to offer... So that Cassel and his agent can begin getting things put together.

Hmm.. I wonder if any of the people who said that there was no way in hell that Cassel would be franchised will come in and admit they were wrong...

Honestly? hehe - can't see it. After the season we've just had it's like a friggin' all-crow restaurant around here. And Cassel is the chef behind most of it.

This is SO awesome:singing: Create a bidding war, and QB's are like GOLD this season too. Draft day 09 is going to ROCK :rocker: This year's Pats will be killer imho:D

The only thing threatening the Pats is the 2010 QB class.

If the Pats couldn't get the deal they want this year, they might have to settle for less rather than bring back Cassel. Bringing back Matt would be great if Brady isn't ready to go, but if franchised again in 2010 in order to trade to another team, those teams might look at McCoy, Bradford or Tebow instead. Those guys would only cost a mid to high first round pick and not the first and more Cassel should net this year.

Food for thought.

ridiculous. THEY AREN'T TRADING BRADY. Not even the remotest chance. You people are high.

Here's a brief and generally uninteresting discussion on it from NFLN. Some nice highlights, though. Oh, and it's Faulk and Dukes free, so it's safe for the blood pressure!

NFLN - Matt Cassel franchised.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the Pats can talk to Cassel about what teams would be of interest to him and what his contract demands would be.. and the Pats could talk to those teams to find out what they'd be willing to offer... So that Cassel and his agent can begin getting things put together.

I think that Reiss speculated that the pats have given Cassel permission to speak to other teams, so the tampering thing would be moot.

Hall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back