PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel tagged per ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
ridiculous. THEY AREN'T TRADING BRADY. Not even the remotest chance. You people are high.

it's just never stops, J.C.

it's the A.D.D. Generation...they just can't help it

I believe I have found the way the negotiating will go down on YouTube.

Replace the word BASE with PICKS...

YouTube - All Your PICKS Are Belong To Us

ohh2pczhc46yx3md47eg.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing threatening the Pats is the 2010 QB class.

If the Pats couldn't get the deal they want this year, they might have to settle for less rather than bring back Cassel. Bringing back Matt would be great if Brady isn't ready to go, but if franchised again in 2010 in order to trade to another team, those teams might look at McCoy, Bradford or Tebow instead. Those guys would only cost a mid to high first round pick and not the first and more Cassel should net this year.

Food for thought.

So our best chances are with teams who need one NOW plus forsee him as their franchise QB. Draftees can be risky. Matt has some risk too though; other teams will be asking themselves if last season was a fluke, is he a system QB,etc. We'll see! BB left everybody plenty of time to wheel and deal:D

Hmm.. I wonder if any of the people who said that there was no way in hell that Cassel would be franchised will come in and admit they were wrong...

I think the vast majority of those people (myself included) concluded this in November. You're about 3 months late if you're just looking for people to realize this now...

thank god they did it early so i won't have toread people say that there is nowaybe tradede and that he is going to walk.

p.s i know its just opinions but i would seriously like to ask the people that say we should entertain offers for brady. really? u think that is in the best interests of this team. because i put that up there with the "we are not franchising matt castle" sorr i didn't post this on the trade brady one but ididn't even open that thread it seemed so illogical

I think the vast majority of those people (myself included) concluded this in November. You're about 3 months late if you're just looking for people to realize this now...

There were people still saying that Cassel wouldn't be franchised.. And there were some who never commented again on the subject after claiming he wouldn't be..

Just curious, but do ANY of you think they applied the franchise tag and intend to KEEP Cassel?

Chris Mortensen thinks so. Personally, I couldn't disagree more.

I also really doubt that 20% of this board thinks that the Patriots plan on keeping a 14+ million backup.

Last edited:
I think that Reiss speculated that the pats have given Cassel permission to speak to other teams, so the tampering thing would be moot.

Thanks for pointing that out. If that is the case, then that's even better. If they can have a deal for Cassel done by the 26th that would be sweet.

Hmm.. I wonder if any of the people who said that there was no way in hell that Cassel would be franchised will come in and admit they were wrong...

In any case, I don't believe that Cassel is allowed to talk to other teams until the start of free agency. I think that, until that time, he can only work on a long term deal with the Pats.

However, as I mentioned earlier, the Pats can talk to Cassel about what teams would be of interest to him and what his contract demands would be.. and the Pats could talk to those teams to find out what they'd be willing to offer... So that Cassel and his agent can begin getting things put together.

Cassel can now talk to teams with the permission of the New England Patriots.

This is cool. I feel like the 2009 season is really starting now.

If I were to guess...and yes I am just an idiot. I would think it was done early because BB likes Cassel alot and wants whats best for him. Doing it early allows Cassel to explore contracts with any team and then BB will allow Cassel to find the best deal and team he wants and BB will take whatever that team will trade (within reason of course).

... Oh, and it's Faulk and Dukes free, so it's safe for the blood pressure!...[/url]

I wouldn't have clicked on this link if you hadn't mentioned this.

This is cool. I feel like the 2009 season is really starting now.

Indeed!! I just sent you an note. Did not realize you were online.

even if the tag is placed on Cassel as reported, Cassel is allowed to begin negotiations with other teams? if so, when can he start negotiating? and also if so, until when?

Right away.

I was expecting Cassel to be tagged the whole time.

Those of you who insisted there was no way the Pats would tag Cassel because they wouldn't risk tying up the cap space... here's a hanky to wipe the pie off your face. ;)

Last edited:
Right away.

I was expecting Cassel to be tagged the whole time.

Those of you who insisted there was no way the Pats would tag Cassel because they wouldn't risk tying up the cap space... here's a hanky to wipe the pie off your face. ;)

Right away meaning February 27th. That is unless the Pats have already told him he can talk w/ other teams.

As many been saying for a month, this should be over during the first week of free agency.

Right away meaning February 27th. That is unless the Pats have already told him he can talk w/ other teams.

According to Reiss, its his belief that the Pats have given Cassel permission to talk to other teams. That is what AYJackson pointed out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes