PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos admit to trying to imitate the 2007 Patriots offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB understands better than anyone the importance of depth. By going to 4 WR offenses, he knows that you may have an outstanding pair of corners, but how about those nickel and dime backs? It makes sense for Shanny and any other coach to force teams to go deep into their DB rotation and expose guys that might have otherwise been planted on the bench.

Still, you can't do that without risking your QB getting killed if the protection isn't there. Cutler had all day to throw vs. Oakland and from what little I saw vs. San Diego, appeared to have the same. This was the key to the Pats last year as well. If Denver can get 2007-like Pats protection for Cutler, then they'll truly be able to contest the scores the Pats put up last year.

Regards,
Chris

Your correct Chris, the Chargers had a grand total of ZERO sacks in that game. It goes to show you how much Merriman meant to that team. Even against the Panthers Delhomme seemed to have a lot of time in the pocket.

Wow I love how Denver has catapulted from average to offensive juggernaut Super Bowl contender in 2 weeks.

They have legitimately won one game this year. Let's settle down.

Wow I love how Denver has catapulted from average to offensive juggernaut Super Bowl contender in 2 weeks.

They have legitimately won one game this year. Let's settle down.

Who said anything about superbowl contender?:confused:

The fact is that they have the weapons to emulate the Pats offensive style from last year, doesn't exactly make me giddy.

Last edited:
Who said anything about superbowl contender?:confused:

The fact is that they have the weapons to emulate the Pats offensive style from last year, doesn't exactly make me giddy.

The AFC is WIDE open this year and the Colts and Pats are far from the teams they were before as in totally dominating the conference - Not this year

The Broncos are one of about 7 teams in the AFC to have a legitamate shot at the Super Bowl - the days of a 2 team race in the AFC are gone in 2008

So what you want but the Broncos look damn good on offense but the defense looks to be one of the worst around. The don't play many really good defensive teams other then the Patriots, Panthers and maybe the Bucs.
That about equals the amount of "closer" games the Patriots had last season so it's really not out of the realm of possiblity for them to at least get close to the record.

BUT....BUT.... the reason I say they DO NOT is because of their defense. Teams that can run the ball and have a really patient offense (Jets, Bills, Browns, Patriots and Jags) will play keep away and limit their scoring opportunities. Injuries too could derail any scoring title hopes for them. It will be a fun story to watch though. I had a feeling Cutler was going to be good.

Oh they'll hang 35 plus on the Saints no problem except maybe the Saints hanging 38 on them, LOL.

Broncos open up offense : Top Stories : Boulder Daily Camera

Teams are trying to find a way to try and do something resembling the offensive performance of the Patriots of 2007 and the Broncos clearly admit its last years Pats offensive formations which they are trying to copycat and right now are doing pretty well with the talented receivers they have.

Shanahan is a very intelligent HC and he knows he is second to the master at game planning behind BB so its really no surprise here.

It appears that the Broncos for the first time in a while is looking to be abandoning the run at least here in the early going.

I wouldn't really characterize it as the Broncos copying NE's "formations", but they are trying to copy the plays NE was able to run out of those formations.

Last edited:
Shanahan is a clever one. He has been very patient the last few years developing Cutler. I would hate him and the Broncos likely if Manning did not own them every year or so.
They signed Graham and Stokely because they are good player but also to help out Cutler in more ways......

NFL Odds on Players to Go Boom or Bust - Bodog Nation
Denver signed Daniel Graham away from New England and grabbed Brandon Stokley when he was cut by the Colts. Not only do those two give Cutler possession receivers, they also can educate him on how the best quarterbacks in the game operate.

"Daniel and Brandon both offer advice: 'You might want to run this a little deeper. This is how Peyton [Manning] or Tom Brady might do something,' " Cutler said. "They've been around some really great quarterbacks, and it helps make my job easier."

Not yet sure about the Broncos defense but they look pretty darn good overall to me even though it's just been 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Which of Cutler's final 2 drives impressed you guys more?

A) Throwing an INT during a tied game at the opposing team's 4 yard line.
B) Fumbling and losing the ball starting at the opposing team's 1 yard line down 1 TD.

Oh yeah B never happened. Disgusting. I actually wanted the Chargers to win after that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News