PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 NE Patriots offensive scheme

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Maybe a sign of the future.

I have not seen this on the board or reviewed every thread to see if its there.

The Patriots’ top draft picks on offense come from new-age systems that majored in outside zone run-blocking schemes and spread the field in the passing game.

First-round pick Cole Strange’s Chattanooga offense almost exclusively ran outside or inside zone, and the same goes for running back Pierre Strong, who is built for a zone system as a 4.37-runner with great one-cut and breakaway speed.

At Baylor, second-round pick Tyquan Thornton ran a vertical route tree in offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes’s outside zone scheme that uses bootleg action and Shanahan-style elements.

Patriots Mailbag: What Schematic Changes Will the Pats Make on Offense This Season? - CLNS Media

I read a page the other day where it stated that the 2022 Pats are changing the OL scheme from Gap blocking to Zone blocking. I will try to find that page and post it.

Nevertheless, its a copycat league. Check this out.

Just sayin

md-icon-volume-off.svg

https://www.sharethrough.com/privacy-center/consumer-privacy-notice

Watch out for a scheme shift.

If that's going to happen, though, the Patriots might need to re-imagine how they do business up front.

Traditionally, New England's ground game has revolved around "gap" blocking schemes, which include powers and counters. Though these types of runs do involve lineman pulling and getting out into space on occasion, the main focus is on blocking down and walling defenders off from plays.

According to PFF, Damien Harris carried the ball on more gap-style runs (149) than any back in the league last year with Rhamondre Stevenson also cracking the top ten (105; eighth in NFL). By contrast, the two only had 68 combined carries on zone runs. For perspective, Cincinnati's Joe Mixon led the league in zone carries with 224.

But Monday's OTA practice suggested a potential shift in that philosophy with a heavy dose of offensive linemen getting on the move and some tastes of Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay-style bootleg play-action off of that.

Such a scheme would accentuate Strange's outstanding movement skills and perhaps mitigate some of the concerns about his raw power against hefty inside players as a rookie. It also gives Trent Brown and Michael Onwenu, two massive men who move well for their size, chances to punish people out on the perimeter.

It's worth noting offensive line coach/possible run-game coordinator Matt Patricia hired Darrell Bevell, who used monster amounts of outside zone and bootlegs with Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson during their days in Seattle together, as Detroit's offensive coordinator during Patricia's last two seasons as the Lions' head coach. Bevell's influence feels apparent in the run plays the media observed Monday.

Joe Mixon tore it up with 1200 yards and 13 TDs.

If Strong can amass 50% of that Gentleman we have a winner.

Passing the laces off the ball will be the key. Pass to get ahead and run to win.

"You beg teams to blitz you, because when you pop the seam, the back is in the secondary. That is how you lead the league in long runs." -Gibbs

4) The bootleg. The bootleg is a huge part of the ZBS, and as you can see above, Elway's boot holds the backside safety for a split second, which keeps him from crashing down on the run play to hit Davis near the line of scrimmage.

"We coach the running back to take what the defense gives and read the defenders from the outside to the inside."

Too many times a Mickey D run would be directly into a wall. No shift or change in direction. 0 yards and a cloud of dust.

"You beg teams to blitz you, because when you pop the seam, the back is in the secondary. That is how you lead the league in long runs." -Gibbs

4) The bootleg. The bootleg is a huge part of the ZBS, and as you can see above, Elway's boot holds the backside safety for a split second, which keeps him from crashing down on the run play to hit Davis near the line of scrimmage.

"We coach the running back to take what the defense gives and read the defenders from the outside to the inside."

Too many times a Mickey D run would be directly into a wall. No shift or change in direction. 0 yards and a cloud of dust.

Mike Shanahan's teams were all zone blocking, Terrell Davis and the back that went from Broncos to Washington (to old to remember his name) and others were products of that scheme. Alex Gibbs was a great OL coach.

We should all be happy regarding a scheme change. I will not miss McDaniels’ telegraphed runs lined up in goal line in near the middle of the field.

Reading the SI article, coaching and teaching this scheme is key and not easy. Coaching remains a concern due to both lack of experience in offense but more specifically in this new scheme offense.

Reading the SI article, coaching and teaching this scheme is key and not easy. Coaching remains a concern due to both lack of experience in offense but more specifically in this new scheme offense.
Hmmm....more to concern the worried.
I'm not sure what morning BB woke up a Biden, but the perception of his mental capacity appears to have mirrored the POTUS'.

Hmmm....more to concern the worried.
I'm not sure what morning BB woke up a Biden, but the perception of his mental capacity appears to have mirrored the POTUS'.
I'm referring to Fat Matt and Judge, neither of which has O coaching exp., nvm with ZBS.

Just sayin

md-icon-volume-off.svg

Consumer Privacy Notice — Sharethrough

Watch out for a scheme shift.

According to PFF, Damien Harris carried the ball on more gap-style runs (149) than any back in the league last year with Rhamondre Stevenson also cracking the top ten (105; eighth in NFL). By contrast, the two only had 68 combined carries on zone runs. For perspective, Cincinnati's Joe Mixon led the league in zone carries with 224.
1) We had a top 5 offense in 2021 with this running scheme, and a top 5 running offense.

2) Both Harris and Stevenson are back.

Your conclusion is that we will/should dump this scheme because we need a major change.
============================================
???

Of course, there will be changes. The passing scheme playbook can be opened more for Jones in his second year, especially with the additions of Parker and White to last year's offense. Also, Jones has had a year of development with Bourne, Agholor, Myers, Henry and Smith.

We should all be happy regarding a scheme change. I will not miss McDaniels’ telegraphed runs lined up in goal line in near the middle of the field.
Yup, we had a terrible offense with Josh running the offense for a rookie QB in 2021. NOT!

1) We had a top 5 offense in 2021 with this running scheme, and a top 5 running offense.

2) Both Harris and Stevenson are back.

Your conclusion is that we will/should dump this scheme because we need a major change.
============================================
???

Of course, there will be changes. The passing scheme playbook can be opened more for Jones in his second year, especially with the additions of Parker and White to last year's offense. Also, Jones has had a year of development with Bourne, Agholor, Myers, Henry and Smith.
Thankfully, youre not running this team.

In 2021 the Pats were 6th in points for with 462. Great huh? To you, but I deal in FACTS.

174 points accounted for games vs Jacksonville, Cleveland and the NY Jets - 79 points scored on the Jets alone. The Patriots padded the ledger vs the train wreck franchises. 5 losses in 2021 were games where the Pats could only generate 17 points or less.

NE 16 - Miami 17
NE 13 - NO 28
NE 17 - Tampa 19
Indy 27 - NE 17
NE 17 - Buffalo 47

My conclusion is that the Pats need to score more points. My conclusion is that defenses do not respect the Patriots deep passing game. You can come up with all the excuses, if, and or buts that you choose. From the writing on the wall the Patriots are changing the offense.

Go complain to Belichick if you dont approve.

Yup, we had a terrible offense with Josh running the offense for a rookie QB in 2021. NOT!
Terrible. No . Mediocre. Yes.
15th in total offense.
14th in passing yards.
8th in rushing.
6th in points scored.
3-8 vs teams with a winning record averaging 22 per game 5 points down from their 27 average. 29 PPG vs losing teams.
Most of their big offensive days inflating their stats were against bad teams.
They were not top 5.
As you like to say, BB disagrees with you.

Last edited:
My conclusion is that the Pats need to score more points. My conclusion is that defenses do not respect the Patriots deep passing game. You can come up with all the excuses, if, and or buts that you choose. From the writing on the wall the Patriots are changing the offense.

Go complain to Belichick if you dont approve.
I agree that we need to score more points, and that we need to be more effective in the passing game.

I expect that this would have happened with no additions, give that Jones would be in his second year with the receivers, and Stevenson has a year of experience.

But we did have additions: Parker, White (back from injuries), Thornton and Strong.
We replaced Harry with Parker and Thornton. (if both look good enough in camp, we'll trade Agholor or Myers).
We replaced Taylor and Bolden with White and Strong.
Hopefully, Smith will be more valuable this year, perhaps with some reps at h-back or FB.
====================
For you, last year's offense under a rookie QB was sooo bad that we needed to completely scrap Belichick's two year plan of developing the offense, scrap Belichick's offense of the last 20 years, and install a new offensive. After all, there are better teams on offense that need to be copied.
???

Obviously, Belichick will make changes in HIS offense. He always does. Jones (and others) have a year of experience together, and new toys have been added.

Reactions: Ian
They were not top 5.
Thank you for the correction. We were top 15, not good enough to go deep in the playoffs. We have added Parker and Thornton to last year's passing offense under a rookie quarterback. We have even upgraded our running game over Bolden/Taylor with Strong (and hopefully White).

Maybe a sign of the future.

I have not seen this on the board or reviewed every thread to see if its there.

The Patriots’ top draft picks on offense come from new-age systems that majored in outside zone run-blocking schemes and spread the field in the passing game.

First-round pick Cole Strange’s Chattanooga offense almost exclusively ran outside or inside zone, and the same goes for running back Pierre Strong, who is built for a zone system as a 4.37-runner with great one-cut and breakaway speed.

At Baylor, second-round pick Tyquan Thornton ran a vertical route tree in offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes’s outside zone scheme that uses bootleg action and Shanahan-style elements.

Patriots Mailbag: What Schematic Changes Will the Pats Make on Offense This Season? - CLNS Media

I read a page the other day where it stated that the 2022 Pats are changing the OL scheme from Gap blocking to Zone blocking. I will try to find that page and post it.

Nevertheless, its a copycat league. Check this out.

Not sure if the bolded is sarcasm but it's all anyone has been talking about lol. I suppose we needed a thread though, it's relevant for sure. Hopefully it's worthwhile that doesn't turn into something else by page 4. So I'll add this from my thread the other day ...

"Re: OZ / Stretch plays. Someone asked (@Vindicate ). I've been sick, just exhausted off work. Haven't been in here as much.

Did anything interesting happen in the last week????

Anyway I just wrote about Pierre Strong in another thread and a lot of what I said there applies to what you want out of a RB for OZ / Wide, stretch plays. He really has a lot of what you need and is well equipped for that specific role.

from the recap thread ....

"Hes got serious acceleration and fast twitch. Which after patience/setting up your blocks, is the most important thing for stretch plays, OZ imo. Basically has one gear but he gets to 0-100 real quick. Good long speed but he gets into top gear extremely fast. I mentioned it above but he's very good, very patient setting up his blocks and not just for stretch plays. Using them to his advantage to help shape the 2nd & 3rd levels. Its very subtle and tough to recognize but he does a nice job shaping the landscape to his liking. Having 4.3 speed doesn't hurt but the impressive part of that is that Strong is very good at keeping full speed while shifting, changing his path, weaving through defenders. One of the more impressive things about his game. He's got some nice COD at full speed. Not so much bounce around like Barry Sanders COD but a little shifting here & there, turning while keeping top speed."

What Shanahan said ...
"But the type of guys you want are guys who can put their foot in the ground, get downhill. You do want guys who can run and create arm tackles and then run through them. I'm not looking for a guy...that you have to give 30 carries to to get 100 yards. You want guys who get downhill, who get over four yards a carry and they move the chains for you."

So if you were to ask me what the most important attributes/qualities are for a RB in a zone scheme, specifically outside/wide zone I'd say the following ...

1)it takes a certain back to run this system but the OL are still the star of the show. The lanes and movement they create allow for for those big plays to develop. I remember always wondering why running backs won't simply bounce it outside when I first started watching ball. Seemed like the edge was there be taken. But the lateral speed even back then was incredible. You can't just win with pure speed 99% percent of the time. That lateral movement is a killer for some guys, combined with motion (hello TT?) it's that much more difficult. Getting those LB's moving east-west, hesitating for a half second, thinking instead of closing ground, leads to those big plays. Following your blocks, allowing OL to kick, climb and clear space, showing a little patience but not living off it. Is key.

2) decisiveness / vision - these are together at least imo bc one doesnt matter without the other. You could have the best vision in the world but without those instincts and decision making to make a move its useless. In general backs have more freedom to be flexible in a power scheme and depending on the blockers in front of them and their own athleticism, they might be afforded more patience overall. Zone runs, especially wide/stretch plays, require precise timing. Athleticism matters and obviously helps but your straight line speed and quick mater more than COD/3 Cone. Missing your lane while moving laterally is a quick death in the NFL. So you have to be decisive and have above average open field vision. You can't afford to be too patient, lanes close in a hurry. It's impossible to capture the edge on every wide run so at times you have to just take what's there. You're not always going to take the edge and scream down the sideline for 50. You have "aiming points" but cant just stick to the script for the sake every time. You need to generate positive yards.

In general amost every "aiming point" for a RB is their tackles midline/hip or their TE/"Ghost TE" hip. Those two obviously are usually near the perimeter so again not everything plays as planned. Depending on the emlos (end man on line of scrimmage), who's reached, whos not, what a defense is trying to do. Generally the plan is as follows ...

A)"bounce" take the outside if possible. No hesitation if there's a path outside you "bounce" it outside and take the most outside path you.

B)"bend" kick inside following your OL climbing to the LB.

C)"bang" generally same, looking for over pursuing defenders.

This is where you watch film and ask yourself was that oz? Was that duo or iz?

3)Acceleration/quick twitch. There's different types of speed and having quick twitch, real acceleration is key. Especially for this run. Everyone is fast. Having that burst, explosion is a lot more important than having "long speed", separation is king in this league.

There are other traits you want but those would be my most important for a RB in that scheme. Strong reminds me of a Shanahan type back in the mold of Brieda and Mosert.

I've noticed a few reporters and new players (Parker) talk about how much we're running in camp. Now it's important to remember the NEP are notorious for their strength and conditioning programs. There's a few a teams that are in extra good shape and the Pats have always been one of them. Nonetheless it reminded me of this quote from KS ...

"the main thing we're going to get these linemen, when they get in here, is we just want to get them to run. They're going to run a lot more than they ever have before. We're going to try to challenge the defense sideline to sideline, not just between the tackles. And it's a challenge to get guys to run but yet to still be as physical as anybody, so there's an element there that's not just lateral but it's getting downhill, too. It takes time to develop."

It's tough to call this a smokescreen bc of the commitment needed and Bill's M.O. I can't see them doing this to not do it later but I'm curious on just how much of a jump we make. I'm thinking we commit but take the slow & steady approach.

In terms of what you want out of your OL it's very simple. At least putting it on paper for an application. Short area quickness, agility and balance > everything else.

1)flexibility particularly in your lower half. You're asked to explode, reach, maneuver, take on contact and still make your way down field all while keeping your eyes & head on a swivel. flexibility is a must have. I'll add balance in with this one. Balance, contact balance is huge.

2)footwork. You can tell so much just off their first step(s) It's crucial for a successful zone blocking scheme bc at times everyone is taking the same steps, working through the same area. Footwork is a must have.

3)I feel like you could go a lot of different ways here. I want to say physicality bc it's big in a zone scheme (depending on the schemd you could have man principles on some stuff) but I'll go with vision. You're not just clearing bodies out the way or hitting something. You're working in space, trying to be efficient, effective and crisp. At times you're initiating contact off the line, tracking 2nd level defenders, trying to use space/leverage. I think I'd go with vision here although it's a tough call.

Guys like Shanahan squeeze water from rock in terms of maximizing the details. This type of attention to detail tends to spill over throughout the offense or team. Above, when talking about OL'm I think you could put chemistry, camaraderie #1 overall bc that's such huge part of guys being successful. You have different types of zone blocking. Numbers (sometimes man principles), filled/unfilled, so you've got to be able to communicate and be familiar with each other's tendencies.

We'll see how much and how quick we turn over but I'm not ignoring the obvious."

So I actually don't mind it, dont find it that hard to believe. Stevenson ran a lot of iz in college and Harris is pretty versatile in that regard. Strong is a nice back for stretch plays.

Wynn, Andrews and Strange are very athletic, agile and can do a lot of damage in space/2nd level.

It's really not that far fetch to say "hey we have the pieces in place" As I mentioned above though guys like Shanahan are who they are bc they can squeeze water from a rock in terms of details. We know Bill still can. I think its reasonable to assume guys like Judge and Matt should be as motivated as possible to get rid of some of the recent stain so there's that. And while guys like McDaniels and others are valuable it's Kyle that runs the show. This is an interesting angle though considering recent departures and arrivals.

Ive also been saying since last summer Mac should be running some RPO, use his legs occasionally/bootleg so I'd welcome more a little variety there. The NFL still can't defend the RPO mostly bc no one runs it so they don't practice for it enough. Mac has a little athleticism and awareness and was great at running it in college. Again I wouldn't mind more of that too while we're implementing different things.

I don't want to say its not a big deal, maybe just not shocking. Josh was a staple here. There's really not an established figure that can just step right in so change makes sense. I'm not against it. It's nice to be ahead of the curve. We've been the ones being imitated but we works.

Thank you for the correction. We were top 15, not good enough to go deep in the playoffs. We have added Parker and Thornton to last year's passing offense under a rookie quarterback. We have even upgraded our running game over Bolden/Taylor with Strong (and hopefully White).
Me being a smart azz aside, they had a very good ground game and have a solid RB duo. I like the potential of Strong and hope he gets time as a kick returner at the very least.

Mac has shown a lot of promise in only his first year.

Parker, Thornton, Strange, and Strong is Bill telling the offense wasn't good enough to go up against better teams.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back