PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broken Glass: Dowling to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quotes from FCB02062 during the Jets game three weeks ago:

5:38pm: oh boy....10 points in the half...what say the fanboys now? they f#cking better win this game....COME ONE PATS! Rex Ryan comes up with the gameplan of the year every time the NYJ play the Pats - this is not DEBATABLE...

5:42pm: Pats have shown they very rarely win games with a negative turnover ratio, so they better get a pick or a fumble or its going to be Sanchize walking off Gillette a victor AGAIN!!!!!!!!:mad:

5:46pm: The NYJ under Ryan own Brady like the NYY used to own Pedro...sorry, but it's true

5:50 pm: Rex Ryan owns the Patriots WTF!

Just so the "fanboys" of this site know who FCB02062 is.

He is a Jets fan. He has been on Jets Insider before under a different screen name bragging how he has all us duped that he is a Pats fan.

Dowling has not played since Sept., and Bodden will hardly be missed. The big picture is that the Patriots defense is an improving unit. With the secondary as the consistent weak link of the D, tweaking the defensive backfield with new mediocre talent not necessarily a negative.

He is a Jets fan. He has been on Jets Insider before under a different screen name bragging how he has all us duped that he is a Pats fan.

He's a classic, but he's no Jets fan. He's a Gillette season ticket holder I believe. Just someone who loves misery and has railed for years here about Kraft's 'cheapness' (tho' has hid that under his hat since Mrs. Kraft's passing).

Here is another epic call by our own Angry Bill from the Jets-Cowboys SNF Game thread this year - - 4 weeks before you-know-what happened:

"No, thank yoU! I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to take the bait But seriously, when was the last time the Patriots SCORED to win a game in the last two minutes?????? Each time, at least that I can remember, that the Patriots have had opportunities to win games in the last two minutes, they haven't....I'd love for someone to tell me the last few times the Pats won a game on offense inside four or two minutes...."

Dear Lord, can this guy PLEASE give us all tips as to which stocks we should buy - - just so we can all go out and make billions shorting them!

Last edited:
...Is [reportedly] currently a shift supervisor for Wendy's @ unnamed city, ME. How far have some fallen? Holy!!!!
What would make you think he had a better job than that once football was over?
He hasn't 'fallen' he has assumed the life he is qualified for once football is over. There are many Wendy's (or whatever other honest employment you want to deride as embarassing) employees who have a lot more going for them in areas that don't include playing a game at a high level than Earthwind Moreland. Not sure why you feel they are an insult to humanity.

...Is [reportedly] currently a shift supervisor for Wendy's @ unnamed city, ME. How far have some fallen? Holy!!!!

The poor guy, he's in MAINE?????? Can somebody save him from that????

looks like Antwaun Molden is the #3 CB for the rest of the season, every year BB picks up a JAG that ends up helping the team win lets hope Molden is that guy

No Problem

Just use a new formation called the 2-2-7 and we will be fine

We don't even have the personnel NUMBERS (let alone quality) to run the 2-2-7.

Unless you meant 7 DL, 2LB, 2DB (7-2-2).

If we get into an EMERGENCY, we can put every DL we have on the field with just Mayo and Chung behind them and run the 9-1-1.

looks like Antwaun Molden is the #3 CB for the rest of the season, every year BB picks up a JAG that ends up helping the team win lets hope Molden is that guy
The potential silver lining is that you can be incapable of being a quality starting corner and still be effective as a nickel.
That said, he isn't as good as the guy he is stepping in for (or we would have seen him on the field) so hopefully he can hold his own and make the degradation of nickel corner play outweigh the negatviity of Bodden being disruptive.

No way they make a serious run with a bunch of scrubs playing back there, mark my words.
The four CBs who played in the Philly superbowl:

Earthwind Moreland
Hank Poteat
Asane Samuel (second year, before he was good)
Randall Gay (rookie UDFA)

BB's defenses get better week by week. No sense panicking now before you see what happens, or you will look like the guys who said we lost the heart and soul of the defense when we cut Lawyer Milloy.

It is what it is, but it isn't what you think it is.

Last edited:
that is why i dont get too geeked up for the draft, it means squat anymore... the dowling pick was a project at best the same was with tate... so it is what it is, but it makes the bodden move more puzzling..
Your not suppose to use a second round pick on a "Project" thats what you use 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks on.

The four CBs who played in the Philly superbowl:

Earthwind Moreland
Hank Poteat
Asane Samuel (second year, before he was good)
Randall Gay (rookie UDFA)

BB's defenses get better week by week. No sense panicking now before you see what happens, or you will look like the guys who said we lost the heart and soul of the defense when we cut Lawyer Milloy.

It is what it is, but it isn't what you think it is.

The FS was Eugene Wilson too, a name that doesn't exactly strike fear into defenses.

That said though, we had Rodney to lead the secondary that year, is Chung ready to have that kind of impact? Also the front 7 needs to step up. Yes, if you win the battle up front and you have someone in that secondary to play like a leader, you can shore up a weak CB core. I don't think they will match the 2004 front 7 or Rodney, but these CB's still have potential to be alot better than 2004. So who knows, I think we'll be fine but we're also in a position where an injury to Mccourty or Arrington can be devastating.

Q: What is best in life, Jonan....

A:Use the front seven to crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of the chicken littles.

conan.jpg

God i would kill if we could have a dominant secondary..we would win 2+ SB's with the way Brady is playing..he isn't getting any younger...they need help on D and now...

I still wish they had gotten peppers

Well RJB87 was just banned, so I guess we broke even!:eat3:

Theyre falling like dominoes.

RJ and CapeCodGuy banned. Bodden cut and Dowling to IR.

This is NOT good. Why did we cut Bodden again? If Arrington or McCourtey get hurt we are seriously effed. No Super Bowl this year.

This is NOT good. Why did we cut Bodden again? If Arrington or McCourtey get hurt we are seriously effed. No Super Bowl this year.

I love softball questions! Why did the Patriots cut Bodden? Because BB decided Bodden's presence on the roster would not give the Patriots the best chance to be successful.

Let me save everyone the suspense now and in the future. BB is not perfect and will not make the right decision every time -- and it won't even be close. With that said, he is the most successful coach of the free agent era. His teams are known for their work ethic, minimum of mental mistakes. team first, players with heart. Using those facts, here are some conclusions that can be drawn:

A) BB is not sitting there going "WHAT? Dowling to IR? Get me Bodden's phone number! Maybe it isn't too late!!". BB and his staff were well aware of Dowling's status and Bodden's cut was going to happen with or without Downling on the roster.
B) As noted above (and evidenced by past cuts), BB WILL cut you if you don't put your heart into it. BB WILL cut you if you mail it in. It appears Bodden was not accepting his role with much enthusiasm. If that is the case I have no problem with the cut (Bodden was not giving us much so far). Give me the lesser talented guy who will go b@lls to the wall versus a player who won't. For those to young or just on the bandwagon, this is how the patriots have been doing it since 2001.
C) IMHO, the Patriots are further from their core BB way this year. They have more players who need to be kept an eye on in terms of their effort. I HOPE the Bodden cut is part of an ambiguous message to anyone wavering on their effort (whether in practice or in game). IMHO, this may be BB's biggest failing this year, having too many Bodden's.
D) BB is not "cutting of his nose to spite his face" or the like (puhlease!). Like him or not, bad decision or good decision, BB is one of the most even keeled guys in the business (put another way, polar opposite of far too many posters here). He's as close to an automaton as they come. His decisions, again right or wrong, are based the on his logic of winning football games (sometimes that is based on winning today and sometimes for future competitiveness).
E) His drafting has been bad at times. His free agent signings have been bad at times. Some of his cuts make many go "what? Seriously?". And ultimately if the Patriots secondary stops its progress (it has been getting progressively better albeit smallishly), this will be a significant knock on BB's 2011 season. But, however the team is put together, castoffs or undrafted FAs, the only thing that matters is, is this team seriously contending for the SB? While quite a few have written this off now, I do not see losing Bodden as the lynchpin for whether we were or were not going to be in the mix for the SB. It's a patently ridiculous belief put forth by those allowing too much of their emotions to dictate their written conclusions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back