PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broken Glass: Dowling to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the way I react when someone calls me an idiot, unless of course it's in person, then I knock their friggin teeth out

:blahblah: Go to bed kiddie, let the adults do the talking here.

Just wondering but when's the last time the Pats had an early round rookie IR'd and came back and had a solid career?

Actually not even just Pats but in the NFL, are there any examples?

Hopefully Dowling bounces back!

Ben Watson.

Wrong. Completely false. All the defenseless receiver nonsense was not around in 2004, guys can come over the middle now whenever they please without the fear and getting annihilated by a safety, and if they do more often than not it's a penalty. Corners in 2011 do not have that intimidation factor on their side anymore, which was a big part of how you played coverages.

That's great! The defenseless receiver affected mostly safeties and how they could hit a receiver AFTER THEY CAUGHT THE BALL. It also has little affect on the game because only a handful of hits were affected each week by this rule.

Seriously do people really think the defenseless receiver rule had any affect on how CBs covered? It might have affected the areas covered by safeties and LBers, but not the CBs. So if a receiver is being covered one on one on the outside without a safety within 10 yards, they are more likely to catch the ball today than seven years ago because of the defenseless receiver rule.

Sorry, people are stretching for reasons to make the rules different for CBs.

As for what is called for PI, it all depends on the crew. The Pats got some really bad PI calls against them in the playoff game vs. the Broncos in the 2005 season that don't get called all the time today. Hobbs got called for a PI in the AFC Championship in the 2006 season that the league had to apologize for. They called PI as harsh in the mid-00s as they do today. It all depends on the refing crew.

Last edited:
What i want is a team built with a capability to go deep into the playoffs.
No, really? You want a team that can go deep in the playoffs? Did you think anyone wanted something else?

Building a team with a so so pass rush and a below average secondary is not how you do this. This history of the NFL is littered with teams that had great regular seasons , but always fizzeled in the playoffs ,because they had the problems i mentioned.
You can identify any deficiency in a football team and make the same argument. One team wins the SB every year. You can find examples to support any reason you wish to out of the other 31, including the 11 that were playoff losers.

If the Pats defence was built solidly , and we lost in the playoffs after great seasons i would not complain.
Sure you would, it would just be about something different.

Going into the playoffs with a team that has our issues on defence year after year IS what i have a problem with.
Year after year? You have a short memory.
Back to the original point. Coming up short in a playoff game is a consideration in whether the team is being built properly. Being the best team in the league in the regular season is another, and if you can't see that it is a much more comprehensive piece of information, you'll have to continue your complaints with someone else who doesn't see your argument as silly.
To use the fact that we were one of the 11 of 12 teams in the playoffs who lost as proof that the way the team is built doesnt work in the playoffs is narrowminded and ignorant of the reality of the NFL.
Next you are going to tell me that the Jets model is better because they lasted a week longer after earning the last spot in the playoffs. Don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the way I react when someone calls me an idiot, unless of course it's in person, then I knock their friggin teeth out
No one called you an idiot, Mr Internet Tough Guy. Relax its only a message board.

What i want is a team built with a capability to go deep into the playoffs. Building a team with a so so pass rush and a below average secondary is not how you do this. This history of the NFL is littered with teams that had great regular seasons , but always fizzeled in the playoffs ,because they had the problems i mentioned. If the Pats defence was built solidly , and we lost in the playoffs after great seasons i would not complain. Going into the playoffs with a team that has our issues on defence year after year IS what i have a problem with.

First you argue that the game is very different than it was only seven years ago and then you bring up history to prove a team like the Patriots can't win in the playoffs. Which is it? If as recently as 2004 isn't relevant because the "rules have changed so much" then how can you look at history and say the Pats aren't built for the playoffs?

I understand the frustration and concern, but I think a lot of Pats fans have seriously unrealistic expectations for Belichick's success rate in the draft. Every team in the league has a laundry list of guys they picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that their fans got excited about, but who never panned out. We just happen to be more intimately familiar with out own disappointments.

Looking over the corners taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in '07, '08 and '09, it looks like hardly 1 in 10 ever were anything but JAGs or washouts.

Ultimately, there just aren't enough good corners in the league. So GMs and coaches just roll their dice and strike out more often then not. When the occasional team does end up with more than one decent corner on their team, it's likely as not a matter of luck.

I mean, on the Packers, Tramon Williams and Sam Shields were both undrafted, so if any of the other 31 teams had any interest in them during the draft, the Packers never get them. And the fact that Woodson is still remotely effective at this age is just nuts, considering all the wear on his tires.

The Bengals actually managed to have a talented tandem of home-grown corners for a couple years, but they did have to spend successive 1st round picks on them. And considering it's the Bengals we're talking about, I'm going to go ahead and assume that it was a sun shining on a dogs' ***** type situation.

Getting away from corners for a bit, let's talk about the recent spate of terrible 1st round picks by the Colts. The guy was on a 1st round streak for the ages, taking Tarik Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning, Edge James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney and Dallas Clark in successive drafts, with Rob Morris the only bust thrown in there. Since then, they've absolute crap value for their 1st round picks.

Now, Bill Polian is as big a douchebag as you'll find in the NFL, but the man has been a whiz at draft prospect projection everywhere he's been in his career. So did he suddenly forget how to draft? Did he have a pact with a devil that ran out? Or is it a combination of the fact that the Colts were regularly picking at the bottom of drafts of late (much like the Pats, actually) and, most importantly, that the previous level of success was just simply not sustainable.

The sporting press spends so much time selling fans a seriously distorted sense of determinism in sports. When a coach wins a couple titles, he's called a genius or a mastermind, so when the titles dry up, clearly, it's because so has his 'genius' right? Problem is, a lot more dumb good luck figured into the glory days than we'd like to admit, and these days, the dumb luck has just be so-so. People would rather believe the narratives of deterministic brains, grit and will, because it masks the inherent absurdity of the amount of time and emotion we sink into what amounts to the product of a huge chaos-driven random outcome generator.

Just wondering but when's the last time the Pats had an early round rookie IR'd and came back and had a solid career?

Actually not even just Pats but in the NFL, are there any examples?

Hopefully Dowling bounces back!

Patriots -- Ben Watson.

NFL -- Deon Grant, Willis McGahee, etc.

What i want is a team built with a capability to go deep into the playoffs. Building a team with a so so pass rush and a below average secondary is not how you do this. This history of the NFL is littered with teams that had great regular seasons , but always fizzeled in the playoffs ,because they had the problems i mentioned. If the Pats defence was built solidly , and we lost in the playoffs after great seasons i would not complain. Going into the playoffs with a team that has our issues on defence year after year IS what i have a problem with.

So, you wouldn't complain if you were a fan of, say, the Ravens, with a solidly built defense, who've made it out of the divisional round once in the past 11 seasons?

DELTHA!!!!!!

New+England+Patriots+v+San+Diego+Chargers+hNErbrjlMdUm.jpg

In Bill we trust?

I think we can safely say that if we all had access to the same information Belichick had access to, the moves would appear to be in the team's best interest.

Last edited:
So tomorrow against Pittsburgh McCourty, Arrington, Molden, Adams....who else???? that's pretty f#cking pathetic, and it'll be a miracle if they can keep that #1 seed with that flotsam and jetsam...that must be the worst group of corners in the league....so, what will the fanboys say tomorrow if Roethliesberger torches the secondary for 350 and 4 tds???? In bill we trust?????

Gillette is a hard surface; they should not draft fragile CBs such as Dowling and Wheatley; those guys should have played on grass.

So tomorrow against Pittsburgh McCourty, Arrington, Molden, Adams....who else???? that's pretty f#cking pathetic, and it'll be a miracle if they can keep that #1 seed with that flotsam and jetsam...that must be the worst group of corners in the league....so, what will the fanboys say tomorrow if Roethliesberger torches the secondary for 350 and 4 tds???? In bill we trust?????

Quotes from FCB02062 during the Jets game three weeks ago:

5:38pm: oh boy....10 points in the half...what say the fanboys now? they f#cking better win this game....COME ONE PATS! Rex Ryan comes up with the gameplan of the year every time the NYJ play the Pats - this is not DEBATABLE...

5:42pm: Pats have shown they very rarely win games with a negative turnover ratio, so they better get a pick or a fumble or its going to be Sanchize walking off Gillette a victor AGAIN!!!!!!!!:mad:

5:46pm: The NYJ under Ryan own Brady like the NYY used to own Pedro...sorry, but it's true

5:50 pm: Rex Ryan owns the Patriots WTF!

Just so the "fanboys" of this site know who FCB02062 is.

Maybe BB should try his hand at picking OLB (has never taken one with a 1st or 2nder) or DE. This taking a DB every year isn't quite working out.....Just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back