Welcome to PatsFans.com

Week 10 at Steelers pre-game analysis, keys, opinions

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

I thought I would try to put together some game previews, thoughts, opinions, keys to the game and other pre-game analysis in one place. Please feel free to go ahead and add your own thoughts, stats, columns, or anything else about the game at Pittsburgh here.

For starters, here's the latest on Pittsburgh's injuries:

Six Steelers sit out practice - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

This is from Thursday:

Kemoeatu questionable with knee, ankle injuries - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

And from earlier in the week:

Starks placed on IR; Scott activated | Steelers.com

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would love to hear Jays52's take on what we'll have on our hands for Sunday night and how we'll game-plan.

3. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Matt Boutwell of the Maine Sports Network talks to a Pittsburgh newspaper about what Steeler fans can expect from the Patriots.

Another view - View From The Press Box

Peek at the Week: Curtains for Pats in Pittsburgh? - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Patriots-Steelers is NFL Game of the Week - Kerry J. Byrne - SI.com

4. 102 Pat

102 Pat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -2

#85 Jersey

Nice job jmt57, I completely forgot about Heath Miller being hurt. He always seems to be one of Big Ben's favourite red zone targets.

5. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

I agree, I'd be very interested in hearing that myself.

Five things to know about Steelers - Boston.com

Jeff Howe brings up a lot of other really good points in the column below; this is the best preview I have seen on this game:

Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers Ground Attack Will Cause Trouble For Patriots Defense - Scouting Report - NESN.com

6. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Howe also had a Q&A with a Steelers fan blog:

Steelers Vs. Patriots: Behind the Steel Curtain Talks With NESN - Behind the Steel Curtain

Glen Farley: Big Ben adds to Steelers' physical presence - The Quincy Patriot Ledger

Big Ben large problem for Patriots - Rich Garven - Worcester Telegram

Playing physical, containing Roethlisberger just some of the keys to a Pats victory | Robert Lee | The Providence Journal

7. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -0

i think the pats should go 5 wide ,spread them out and throw on them from the beginning. Not sure if we have the people to run a 5 wide offense.

8. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

If nothing else try to get their defense running east-west to slow them down as well? I recall the Pats doing that against the Ravens early with quick sideline passes and an end around.

Fred Taylor sounds like he'll be playing in this column; he talks about running against Pittsburgh's defense: It Is What It Is - Fred Taylor on D&H: New respect for turf toe

On the Steelers: Coach good at plugging line holes - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NFL.com news: Week 10 full of great matchups, including Brady-Polamalu - Gil Brandt

9. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe, maybe not. It woud have to be Branch, Welker, Hernandez, Tate, and Edelman. Maybe you throw Gronk in there too.

10. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -0

Spread, but with 2 TEs and sub-runs with Woodhead. That's where it's at. Gotta find a way to get all 3 TEs on the field at times though - not enough Crump last week, guy is a devastating blocker at times.

11. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Like I said in the other thread this depends alot on the health of Branch and Welker. If we can beat Pittsburgh it's on the underneath quick routes where their strength [pass rush] is nullified and their weakness [corners] can be exploited. The only questions are a) how effective are Branch and Welker right now, and b) can we do well enough in other phases of the offense to keep the defense honest, and not be too predictable with the intermediate passing game. To be honest, I'm not very confident with either of those points for this week, tough matchup for us IMO. Hope I'm wrong though

12. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Update on the Pittsburgh injuries; DE Aaron Smith is officially out.

It Is What It Is - Steelers injury report Friday: Aaron Smith ruled out

Here's the Pats injury report; safety Jarrad Page is out again.
    It Is What It Is - Pats injury report Friday: Tom Brady ‘probable’

A boatload of stats in the following WEEI link; here's a portion of those:
    It Is What It Is - Nuggetpalooza’s Patriots Preview: At Pittsburgh

13. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Bruschi's Breakdown: Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss break down Sunday's game between the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN Boston
    Patriots' defense vs. Steelers' offense
    Patriots' offense vs. Steelers' defense

Sports Tonight: How to attack the Steelers 'D'
    Brian Lowe thinks the Steelers' corners are susceptible, and talks about the importance of the tight ends in the passing game.

Sports Tonight: On how to manage Brady, handle Roethlisberger
    Gary Tanguay sees Brady's ankle and missing practice as an issue of concern, and talks about the defensive line needing to step up and forcing Roethlisberger to make a mistake. He sees the Pats needing to use speed and schemes in order to win because the straight up the Steelers are a better team. He and Lou Merloni also compare Troy Polamalu and Pat Chung, and their importance to their team's defenses.

Ian Rapoport thinks Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace are two weapons the Patriots will struggle with in the column for Pro Football Weekly.
    ProFootballWeekly.com - Five questions with Patriots correspondent Ian Rapoport

ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots-Steelers matchup of the day: Wednesday

14. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Patriots Daily gives us a column with a reference to Shane Falco, another with a reference to the river that caught on fire, and also one with an in depth look at six key Steeler players.

First, here's a column by a person that just joined this forum ten hours ago.

Patriots Daily | Matchups Of The Week - Patriots at Steelers | Dan Zeigarnik

Patriots Daily | Worry Wart - Game Nine at Steelers | Chris Warner

Patriots Daily | First Impressions - Pittsburgh Steelers | Greg Doyle

15. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Patriots Football Weekly | From the Hart: Prime time Pittsburgh Friday Six-Pack | Andy Hart

On the Steelers: Fill-ins on offense know the ropes | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers' 'D' coming up with big stops - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers' Miller returns to practice, ready to play vs. Patriots - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Gorman: Practice makes perfect for Pats' Ventrone - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Pittsburgh Sports news and schedules - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Neither team has done anything significant against the spread recently, but perhaps the over is the way to go for those that are inclined to risking their money. The Pats have gone over six out of eight times this year, and the Steelers have gone over three out of four times since Roethlisberger returned.

The Philadelphia Inquirer | The Smart Money: This season, underdogs rule

Just for fun, I came across this when I was searching for previews:
    Matchup analysis: Patriots at Steelers - NFL- NBC Sports

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  16. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for posting all those analysis, jmt57. Good reading.

17. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 4 / -0

#11 Jersey

I am still surprised Taylor Price is not in the mix. If there were ever a game for a young guy to break out (remember Branch 2002 opening night) - it would be in a game where we go in with 5 wide and dink and dunk them silly.

18. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

19. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

Pittsburgh Weather Forecast and Conditions

Right now there's a light rain in Pittsburgh with 60% chance of rain today, 30% chance of rain tonight. Looking at the hourly forecast it looks like the chance of rain during the game is lower, but the rain could affect the field and therefore the way the game is played today. I would think a slower field would benefit the Steelers; the Pats advantage over the Steelers defense is their speed, which could be neutralized by a slower turf. It could also result in both teams going for it on 4th downs rather than attempting a field goal.

20. jmt57

Ratings:
    +527 / 0 / -3

On one of the pre-game shows this morning there was an interview with somebody from a Pittsburgh TV or radio station. He was saying that the Steelers much prefer to run the ball to the left rather than the right, but with LT Max Starks and LG Chris Kemoeatu out that could change. On the other side there is past his prime Flozell Adams and career backup Ramon Foster, so he thinks the Steelers will pass the ball much more today than they have in the past.

I was kind of surprised to hear that considering the success that Cleveland had running the ball last week. Even with their injuries I would think Pittsburgh would run the ball until the Pats prove they can stop the run.

Here are some more columns from Pittsburgh newspapers.

A look at the Pats-Steelers history which has to be very painful for Pittsburgh fans to read since it recounts the games with the real reasons why those games were won or lost and no mention of spygate:
    On the Steelers: Top spot in the AFC up for grabs

In the eyes of this writer the Patriots now have zero deep game. It's also a bizarrely horrible editing job; the first half of the column is on this week's game and the second half is about last week's game:
    Head to head: Steelers S Troy Polamalu vs. Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez

Game Nine Matchup: Steelers vs. Patriots

Steelers have best run defense ever, so far

With two running backs knocked out of last week's game the Steelers were on the verge of inserting Troy Polamalu at RB.
    Cook: Mendenhall gaining yards, team's trust

Breaking down Steelers vs. Patriots - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Belichick and Brady soaring as NFL couple - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.