PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tate to IR, Stanback to 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a troll post or just sheer concentrated ignorance?

Or it could be satire of the usual reaction to injuries by members here.

Frankly, I was surprised that Tate got to the field at all this year..That he played even a game or two is amazing given his situation..I think they erred on the side of caution. If anything, I think this means Edelman is out for today..I think being down to 3 WRs sort of forced the move.
Reiss called this move a few days ago..saw it coming..NO big surprise here...and I am sure he will be active for tonight's game.

I watched the return on my dvr after I knew he was hurt.

Tate was running out of bounds when a defender leaped on his shoulders and dragged him down backwards really hard. His legs collapsed under him and he rolled into players on the sideline and he immediately sat up and grabbed his left knee just as the game went to commercial. It didn't look good. I was surprised to hear he was riding the bike later in the game. But not that he was IR'd

In some of these IR moves, as an example, the staff projects that he won't be ready till say week 16. Rather than use the roster spot and cut a guy like Arrington, they make the move on Tate to IR. It certainly doesn't mean he blew out the ACL again, but his injury is severe enough to cause him to miss reps in practice and games where he could continue to improve and expand his role.

My. 02$.

Frankly, you just like being contrary. I usually respect your opinion, and appreciate that you don't simply go along with the crowd, but sometimes you're remarkably inflammatory and arrogant. No offense. :)

Look at his board name. That ain't god of love up there. His posts reflect his name.

This team is somewhat snakebit when it comes to developing WR. Or locating veteran WR smart enough or driven enough to master this offense. That's just an it is what it is...

Tate for all intents and purposes has suffered catestrophic back to back injuries. The first coming when he tore his ACL before he was in a professional setting where he'd have gotten top of the line care and rehab (remember, Brady got to choose the guy who wrote the book on his injury and the one all the others consult when stumped) and costing him an entire pro off season and camp. The second coming when he lost any opportunity for meaningful time on the practice or playing field for all but two weeks of his rookie season.

Rehabbing is one of the tougher aspects of this industry and for rookies to be saddled with that burden before they've even tasted what success competing at this level entails is truly watching guys set up behind the eight ball. He may make it back or he may never. Depends on how he deals with setbacks mentally as well as physically. Some guys just fall behind to the point they can never make up the lost ground in a setting where the team has to move on regardless. Look at Wheatley who's seemingly fallen and can't get back up... Same kid we drafted who looked so promising as a starting rcb and he's functioning as depth behind a new rookie and a late rounder he appeared to have it all over last season, and a couple of vets brought in for insurance and he can't crack a starting lineup.

This is a league where when opportunity knocks you best be ready because it often can't wait for you to be ready and it doesn't always knock twice. Like Bill says, there's no red shirt season in the NFL. If other guys step up now and fill the void Tate was intended for he may never have a shot at filling it again. Injuries are the great talent equalizer in this sport. Coaches rely on track record, guys who deliver irrespective of whence they emerged from... Tate knows that and has to be crushed. How deep he can dig with little basis is what we and this team won't know now for at least another 10-11 months.

The injury will likely heal, that's only part of what he now needs to overcome. By this time next season Bill may have located the next coming of Joey Galloway or Jabar Gaffney or Donte Stallworth or Deion Branch as insurance and that guy may initially project to pan out to the point he thereby effectively blocks Tate from developing even on the practice field. Thereby making it next to impossible for him to even begin crack Tommy's radar... And because of what has transpired Bill and Tommy have to continue looking for that guy because they have no basis to trust that Tate will just get it all together (rehab, playbook, capacity, durability) and be him.

I hope Tate makes it. But I'm not going to assume he will.

Re: PFT.... Tate to IR..

He's worked hard all offseason, has a good attitude, and appears to be the anti-Chad in terms of his ability to study and run routes. He gets open before using his speed, and is very sudden. I think he'll be a great #3 next year.

Meanwhile, hurray for Stanback. :singing:

Exactly...comparing him to CJ is rediculous

Re: Tate to IR

let's hope he will be 100% healthy next season

Re: PFT.... Tate to IR..

Exactly...comparing him to CJ is rediculous

CJ was reportedly immature. No one is saying that about Tate. However...the only time Brady targeted him he ran the wrong route. The good news was he was the first to admit that. CJ was selected because he could diagnose defenses and route adjustments, on paper in class. Thing is he couldn't execute those at game speed on the field. We can always hope but there is no way to know whether Tate can, given time. There is now no way to know if he'll ever get the chance to prove he can or to develop into a player who can. Smart teams wait for no man, you either answer the bell or they find someone else who will. If you're lucky (and the team isn't) **** happens and the bell rings more than once. In CJ's case it coulda rung forever and he just wasn't gonna answer. Hopefully Tate gets more opportunity and can. But there is just no way to predict.

I don't think any of us know how bad a knee injury this is for him. Obviously a move to IR makes it serious, but was it blown out like before?? I doubt it was that bad...but now that he was on the 53, keeping ANOTHER slot for an injured player is too much of a luxury. Obviously they know time frames and possibilities and at this juncture know it's going to take too much time and effort for him to make it back this year. I hope he rehabs and becomes a factor next year, but of course they are not looking slotting him in now, that would be silly. Unless he had shown a great deal this year would they even think of that. Yes, he will be in the mix, but one thing is always sure, the Pats look at multiple options in filling roster spots. Stanback might be the guy...or it could be a developed Terrence Nunn. Who really knows for the future...Edelman is another option and I am sure he will play a part next week and later in the season.
It was a tough break, but when they drafted Tate, I really did not expect much if anything for this year. I just hope this latest injury is not so serious as to put next year in jeopardy.

Stanback is an experienced NFL kick returner, so his activation could be as simple as that. But...

At the last minute before a BIG game, the Patriots activate a player with position ambiguity who seems like an ideal candidate to run some unorthodox plays? It's intriguing, certainly. At the very least, the Colts' coaches must be pondering the possibilities tonight.

I with you on this one. I expect to see a few wrinkles and twists tonight.

The Wilcat was a thing of beauty during Miami's first Monday night game against the Jets. NY brought all the pressure, and they didn't have the faintest idea who to chase.

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the Pistol used on a few plays with Stanbeck in the backfield next to Brady.

Tate's injury may very well be of the "out 2-4 weeks" variety. And with those injuries, if the player is a vet and dependable with a record of production, you'd probably keep the guy on the roster. As it is, he's an unproven rookie, so there's no evidence of how he'd perform once the pressure is heightened. He could turn out like Chad Jackson. Or he could turn into a slightly different Matt Cassel-type player - one who eventually produced when given his shot. I'll go with the latter.

But Tate's specialty is KOs and punt returns. Chad Jackson never had that going for him. So, when his WR skills proved to be sub-par, we had no other reason to keep him around. I suppose. Tate isnt such a case. So, even if his WR skills take another full year to develop, at the very least we know the kid is somewhat of a proven commodity in the return game. He'll be back. We hope.

It's a nice thought, but Bill is fearless (or darn close) and will put the best player for the job in, regardless of "value."
I was about to disagree with you, my memory telling me he'd been avoiding using his offensive and defensive stars, and then I looked up the stats. In the last several years Hobbs, Maroney, Welker, and Faulk have been the leading KRs, with Slater doing some work (I suppose until BB ditched him temporarily for his questionable decisions).

So you're right. In a game that matters, on the one play that determines if your offense starts on the 10 or the 30, I think he'll go with experience. And damn the torpedoes.

Crap, it's like CJ all over again...

Coulda, woulda, shoulda left him on PUP until week 9 and let him practice for 3 weeks and then just IR'd him...

Difference is work ethic (getting back from that injury to get activated) and seeming ability to understand offense. very frustrating. Hopefully he is back healthy for TC and can have an injury free year. I was excited to see him and Edleman as the core of the receiving corp of the future.

So you're right. In a game that matters, on the one play that determines if your offense starts on the 10 or the 30, I think he'll go with experience. And damn the torpedoes.

Yeah, but that's not the same thing as saying that those players will be doing it all game long. . . .

Too bad Stallworth, the actual receiver didn't get the credit for catching the ball that Gaffney has gotten.

I don't think Stallworth got enough credit for that lateral from Welker against Buffalo, either. . . . ;)

I wonder what it would look like if the all of the players the Pats have placed on IR over the past 5 years could be put on the field at the same time.

I wonder what it would look like if the all of the players the Pats have placed on IR over the past 5 years could be put on the field at the same time.

Not enough room on the field.

Just registering my irratonally massive disappointment. I'm sure we'll be okay but I was REALLY looking forward to watching him play and we need him THIS year. Oh well.

So, after watching a game and a half you have concluded that Tate is not gong to "pan out"? Interesting that you're not as quick to include Edelman in those that have panned out.

THE GUY WASCV ALREDY injured how can you say this/?
?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on the guy. I still believe he can make an impact, just needs to heal up. What I'm saying is the Patriots' history with drafted receivers under Belichick has been very frustrating. I think we can all agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back