PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tate to IR, Stanback to 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked really elusive when he was in there. Hopefully the year off on IR will help him get the playbook down even further. I look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

As for Stanback, I smell some trickery for Indy. Don't think the fact that the Colts had problems with Miami's Wildcat escaped BB's attention.

He looked really elusive when he was in there. Hopefully the year off on IR will help him get the playbook down even further. I look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

As for Stanback, I smell some trickery for Indy. Don't think the fact that the Colts had problems with Miami's Wildcat escaped BB's attention.

Oh yeaaaaah!

YouTube - Washington Huskies QB Isaiah Stanback

Inopportunely, Tate's re-injury came at a time just when Aiken has begun to show some ability at WR and at a time when Edelperson was ready to return. Edelperson has shown some capability to play WR and return kicks so BB may figure that IRing Tate instead of waiting N weeks for rehab II gives him flexibility to keep backups at different positions (think CB) on the 53. It's a numbers and strategy game with more variables and factors than we know.

Inopportunely, Tate's re-injury came at a time just when Aiken has begun to show some ability at WR and at a time when Edelperson was ready to return. Edelperson has shown some capability to play WR and return kicks so BB may figure that IRing Tate instead of waiting N weeks for rehab II gives him flexibility to keep backups at different positions (think CB) on the 53. It's a numbers and strategy game with more variables and factors than we know.

Who knows, if Tate had really hit it off the last couple of weeks (and, of course, not gotten injured) it's not impossible that we'd be talking about WWMM going on IR instead. . . . :eek:

Who knows, if Tate had really hit it off the last couple of weeks (and, of course, not gotten injured) it's not impossible that we'd be talking about WWMM going on IR instead. . . . :eek:

I concur. It's fortune and timing with these talented but raw kids.

That is a good thought on Tate...... we are deep at that position and this IR move may have been the product of having depth at WR position. No way Tate was going to play in INDY.... who really knows how hurt Tate is?? He could of been out until week 13??? BB did the best move possible and put him on IR.... ending Tate's season and other ppl like stanback, Nunn, edelman (when healthy) can fill the void.

That sucks for the fans, but it sucks even more for the young kid. I hope he is ready for next season.

A door closes.... I think BB activated Stanback with the intention of using him tonight. I don't know about trickery, but I expect him to return kicks. If Edelman is out, he could see some action at WR as well. Of course, he did run the wildcat in practice last week....

Tate for all intents and purposes has suffered catestrophic back to back injuries. The first coming when he tore his ACL before he was in a professional setting where he'd have gotten top of the line care and rehab (remember, Brady got to choose the guy who wrote the book on his injury and the one all the others consult when stumped) and costing him an entire pro off season and camp. The second coming when he lost any opportunity for meaningful time on the practice or playing field for all but two weeks of his rookie season.

As others have said, there's nothing yet to suggest this second injury is catastrophic. We're in week 10, if it's a Mayo-type injury (and him riding the exercise bike on the sideline last week would certainly point me in that direction) he'd be out until say week 14, and at that stage, with Edelman back, Nunn and Stanback offering other options and roster space at a premium with various injuries, it surely makes more sense to IR the kid than bring him back a couple of weeks before the end of the regular season and trying to get him back up to speed during a critical period.

Stanback exceded my expectations tonight! He had two pretty good receptions and had was amazing on the run and pass blocking! also did anyone see the block he had on i believe freeney?

Stanback looked a lot better in his first game than did Edelman, Aiken, Gaffney or Tate.

Stanback looked a lot better in his first game than did Edelman, Aiken, Gaffney or Tate.

To be fair to Edelman and Tate, Stanback is in his third season in the NFL, and (if you're counting actual games played only) the Patriots weren't expecting Stanback to be Wes Welker with a rusty Tom Brady throwing to him as they did with Edelman, and Tate had only been practicing on the field for a week, if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back