PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BREER: Patriots are in the process of hiring Tiquan Underwood as assistant receivers coach

did pops actually develop in terms of NFL WR skillset, or did he just get by on his dynamic playmaking?

I feel like some of the beat guys who break down film (like Lazar) noted throughout the year that his route running never really got better. Not that it was BAD, but it needs some cleaning up and Troy didn't seem to be making much difference there.

I sympathize with Troy, because it's not like the team has a long, rich history of drafting and developing wide receivers, so it's unfair to point to him specifically. And the offense has been such a mess the last couple years that he probably spent more time just making sure guys knew what the plays were, rather than teaching technique. But still, he hasn't done anything as a coach that stands out.

Maybe Troy will be focusing more or coaching KR/PR going forward…IDK.

I feel like some of the beat guys who break down film (like Lazar) noted throughout the year that his route running never really got better. Not that it was BAD, but it needs some cleaning up and Troy didn't seem to be making much difference there.

I sympathize with Troy, because it's not like the team has a long, rich history of drafting and developing wide receivers, so it's unfair to point to him specifically. And the offense has been such a mess the last couple years that he probably spent more time just making sure guys knew what the plays were, rather than teaching technique. But still, he hasn't done anything as a coach that stands out.

and guys didn't always seem to know that, either - saw many times throughout the year where those same film breakdowns showed receivers making bad reads/running the wrong routes

did pops actually develop in terms of NFL WR skillset, or did he just get by on his dynamic playmaking?
Unclear but if the standard of measurement is a rookie or 2nd year WR drafted has statisitcal successful while Troy was his position coach then that counts for something.

Unclear but if the standard of measurement is a rookie or 2nd year WR drafted has statisitcal successful while Troy was his position coach then that counts for something.

perhaps.......but looking at the (lack) of development and even some regression elsewhere, Douglas might just be the anamoly

Is anyone supposed to be excited about an assistant wide receivers coach? I bet no one here could name one on another team without googling them.
Pretty much the coaching equivalent of a practice squad signee. Developing the next WR coach while he is trainable is not the worst thing.

He was on and off the roster a bunch, and cut right before the SB if I remember correctly.
I think he was cut the night before. Like he would've had to buy a ticket if he wanted to go. It seemed almost cruel.

perhaps.......but looking at the (lack) of development and even some regression elsewhere, Douglas might just be the anamoly
I give him credit for Meyers.

Certainly Thornton and Harry don't help his case.

Bad or average players tend to make better coaches than elite players is what I am hanging my hat on. The irony is, of course, one of our many WR failures is becoming a coach in the one area we suck at the most. We will see.

Love the hair - pretty much the only thing I liked about him as a player.

Bad or average players tend to make better coaches than elite players is what I am hanging my hat on. The irony is, of course, one of our many WR failures is becoming a coach in the one area we suck at the most. We will see.

Love the hair - pretty much the only thing I liked about him as a player.

Was he really our failure though, he was a 7th round draft pick from another team that was with us for a cup of coffee.

Was he really our failure though, he was a 7th round draft pick from another team that was with us for a cup of coffee.
Meant our overall WR decision making. We had plenty of duds in free agency too. To me that's worse than draft mistakes because you already saw what they were in the NFL.

Tiquan Underwood... FML, why not hire Ochocinco while you're at it.

That's a fair point. He probably spent more time just trying to help keep the offense taped together rather than refining techniques. I guess I wouldn't be extremely upset if he stayed on as WR Coach, but seems like there would be room for improvement.

The fact that his receiving groups were atrocious. Bourne and Meyers were both good players but he wasn't responsible for them. Demario Douglas is the only guy you can point out and I'd argue that its simply because of his elite agility and elusiveness. Personally I think a better coach should've gotten more out of a player like Pop. He had a decent season but he could've been even better.

Not sure what Tiquan Underwood brings. All I recall is a pass being ripped away from him for an INT and Brady subsequently having a screaming match with Bill O'Brien.
TB80 was mostly responsible for Jakobi, imho, mentoring him since he got here. With Jakobi as my Beankie and TB80 as my favorite player, I was hyper aware of his development in the summer of 2019. Gunner and Jakobi credited the "unofficial wide receivers coaching assistant" for his huge help, which makes sense because he'd totally be the one to take care of a couple of undrafted WRs who probably wouldn't make the team... but ended up being an All Pro returner and best WR on the team, respectively. TB80 is a good coach. Head WR coach? Tough to defend his results, and I'd be at peace if he were to be fired or demoted (to "slot receiver" and returners coach), but my bias is allowing one more year for him.

Personally, I think better OL players (and QBs) and coaching would've gotten more out of most of the receivers. Pop was drafted late in the 6th round and got 49rec/561yds in 14 games (7 starts) in his rookie year. That's stellar production out of that spot. What's warping the perception is that Puka was taken 33 spots earlier... sigh.

I give him credit for Meyers.

Certainly Thornton and Harry don't help his case.
If the guys really stink not sure what a coach can do. Harry did not light it up in Chicago. I bet Thornton won't do much when he moves on either.

If the guys really stink not sure what a coach can do. Harry did not light it up in Chicago. I bet Thornton won't do much when he moves on either.
Yea thats kinda how i'm seeing it.

I understand Troy was not wearing Pats garb coaching the college kids. Seeing how he doesn't have a contract for 2024 looks like he might be gone regardless.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back