PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd meeting with 49ers: Patriots are gonna blow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't mention how average or garbage Ocho or Branch are because neither are going to get $20 million in guaranteed money and $8 million a year. We mention it about Garcon because he is getting paid more money than some elite WRs in this league.

Look at history? Like last year? Granted the Pats had studs like Ocho and Branch on the team rather than the garbage players like Ocho and Branch that they are probably going to have this year. Now if the Pats could get studs like the 2011 Branch and Ocho, they will be good. You do realize the Pats were one Welker catch from going 13-3 in the regular season and Super Bowl champs?

As for the studs you mention, the Pats still can Lloyd and Wallace. Only Garcon has been signed and the Pats can sign him in two years when the Redskins cut him for being an overpriced bust.

I love trolls like you who show up in gameday threads when the Pats get down or after a loss and act like you actually know more than Belichick when you can't to understand the strategy you mock actually got the Pats to a Super Bowl which they had a very good shot of winning with about a minute left.

You want the Redskins' version of approaching free agency and that stategy has barely gotten the Redskins to the playoffs in the decade plus that Snyder has owned the team.

Fans pay the team and the team should spend for the fans. But if they want to be cheap and pay 3 corpses pennies to do nothing so be it, I love this team and will watch Brady end his career carrying the team.

I am not a troll, I don't show up after losses only, never EVER hated on the GOAT coach or said he doesn't understand, if you want to assume ridiculous assumptions then you are the blind homer by that logic. I am just a fan like you spending the offseason focused on improving not staying the same.

Again you bring up an irrelevant franchise and look for positives in a choke to the Giants, just my point that you are only looking pro and no cons of this team. I realize the good, it doesn't need to be mentioned, come September I will be rooting for whoever wears our jersey, but now its time to look at the flaws.

BTW, if the Pats are going to offer anything to Wallace, it won't be for a few weeks or even down to the wire. That is how making offers to tendered players work. The other team has seven days to match the offer so you don't want to be placed on hold while you are waiting for an answer. You also hope the other team start to commit whatever available cap space they have to other free agents so it makes it tougher for them to match their offer.

The only time a franchised or RFA gets an offer quickly is if the team who owns their rights are shopping him and want to free up the money they have reserved in a tender quickly. This isn't the case with Wallace.

So condemning the Pats for not making an offer to Wallace at this point is just plain ignorant. If the Pats plan to do it, there is no reason to even try for at least a week or two or longer.
There's also no need for the Patriots to show their hand allowing other teams to provide planned counter strategy to those moves.

Mankins wanted to talk deal. The Patriots wanted to wait.

Thats what I always thought until I heard differently a couple weeks ago, maybe he misspoke.

Thats what I always thought until I heard differently a couple weeks ago, maybe he misspoke.

The Patriots told him that they wanted to wait because of the CBA.

Fans pay the team and the team should spend for the fans. But if they want to be cheap and pay 3 corpses pennies to do nothing so be it, I love this team and will watch Brady end his career carrying the team.

I am not a troll, I don't show up after losses only, never EVER hated on the GOAT coach or said he doesn't understand, if you want to assume ridiculous assumptions then you are the blind homer by that logic. I am just a fan like you spending the offseason focused on improving not staying the same.

Again you bring up an irrelevant franchise and look for positives in a choke to the Giants, just my point that you are only looking pro and no cons of this team. I realize the good, it doesn't need to be mentioned, come September I will be rooting for whoever wears our jersey, but now its time to look at the flaws.

So you think the Pats should spend like crazy on free agents when it is proven a losing formula. Name the last team that spends a lot of money in free agency that has won a Super Bowl. You keep telling me I bring up irrelevant franchises who spend and lose for doing so, but I don't talk about relevant franchises who spend and win Super Bowls because they don't exist. The Giants are rarely if ever big players in free agency. Neither are the Packers or the Steelers or the Colts or the Saints (although the Saints are probably closest to that formula).

The Pats didn't lose to the Giants because they didn't spend in free agency last off season (or preseason in this case). They lost to a team that was nearly 100% talent they drafted over acquiring in free agency because Gronk was hurt and the players made a few stupid mistakes here and there. Again, the Pats were a minute away from winning the Super Bowl no matter how you spin it. That is better than 30 other teams did.

Garcon doesn't have a very good catch rate and even when playing with Manning wasn't a number one. Then you have to consider that there are more play makers at receiver than at any other position. Is he that match better than Lloyd or one of these other chapter receivers? I dont think so.

Garcon has a habit of dropping easy passes but often makes the ridiculous circus catches, that demonstrates that he has the ability to get it done. I think it's a mental issue that can be overcome.

Almost every team in the league pays roughly the same amount of money for their roster. The Patriots aren't "being cheap" or "not spending for the fans" they are allocating money in the way they think most likely to make them successful. It's hard to argue with the results, they are one of if not the most successful team of the decade.

Fans pay the team and the team should spend for the fans. But if they want to be cheap and pay 3 corpses pennies to do nothing so be it

The Patriots spent pretty much as close as they could to the cap last year ($6 million left over for emergency in-season signings due to potential injuries), and rolled that full amount on to the 2012 cap.

Spending $10 million each on two players and $400k each on ten players works out to exactly the same amount of money spent on the exact same number of players as it is when you spend $6 mm, $4 mm, $3 mm, $2.5 mm, $2 mm, $1.5 mm, $1.4 mm, $1 mm, $800k, $700k, $600k and $500k on twelve players.

It is not a case of being "cheap"; it is a strategy of spreading the same amount of money throughout the entire roster rather than allocating a larger proportion to a smaller number of roster spots. Given the fact that the patriots already have their share of large money roster spots (Brady, Welker, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo), does it not make more sense to spread the remaining money around, rather than being forced to pay a larger number of rookie minimum contracts?

Last edited:
So you think the Pats should spend like crazy on free agents when it is proven a losing formula. Name the last team that spends a lot of money in free agency that has won a Super Bowl. You keep telling me I bring up irrelevant franchises who spend and lose for doing so, but I don't talk about relevant franchises who spend and win Super Bowls because they don't exist. The Giants are rarely if ever big players in free agency. Neither are the Packers or the Steelers or the Colts or the Saints (although the Saints are probably closest to that formula).

The Pats didn't lose to the Giants because they didn't spend in free agency last off season (or preseason in this case). They lost to a team that was nearly 100% talent they drafted over acquiring in free agency because Gronk was hurt and the players made a few stupid mistakes here and there. Again, the Pats were a minute away from winning the Super Bowl no matter how you spin it. That is better than 30 other teams did.

Oh c'mon. Look at how successfull the Redskins have been.;)

Koutouvides, Slater, White contribute to the New England Patriots special teams and Bill Belichick obviously values special teams more than you do.

The New England Patriots signed defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene to a three year contract. Barring injury, Fanene should be an upgrade to defensive linemen Shaun Ellis and Gerard Warren.

The unrestricted free agency period has not even passed the 48 hour period and some posters have hit the panic button.

Almost every team in the league pays roughly the same amount of money for their roster. The Patriots aren't "being cheap" or "not spending for the fans" they are allocating money in the way they think most likely to make them successful. It's hard to argue with the results, they are one of if not the most successful team of the decade.

is the reason for their success because of the way they do busienss though?? or is it because they have a top 5 QB of all time at the helm??

I just think if the pats spent a little more $$ on an impact free agent we might be looking at 4-5 superbowls instead of 3...if all it takes is one blown up play, or one catch

that being said. we still have a chance to sign brandon Lloyd....the 49ers are trying out alot of WR's and he may be guaging his value

Last edited:
They aren't going to give up a first round pick and a ton of money for Mike Wallace.

The only reason why I'm not counting this out quite yet is because it would absolutely shock me if it happened. Much like the Haynesworth and Ocho signings last season did.

is the reason for their success because of the way they do busienss though?? or is it because they have a top 5 QB of all time at the helm??

I just think if the pats spent a little more $$ on an impact free agent we might be looking at 4-5 superbowls instead of 3...if all it takes is one blown up play, or one catch

that being said. we still have a chance to sign brandon Lloyd....the 49ers are trying out alot of WR's and he may be guaging his value

In 2007, the Pats did what you suggested (Adalius Thomas THE top free agent and Moss and Welker were big acquisitions along with Stallworth) and they got no closer to winning the Super Bowl than this past season without chasing big name free agents.

There are still 31 other teams with the same goal of winning the Super Bowl. To say the Pats would have 4 or 5 Super Bowl wins following that strategy is just your opinion and not based in fact. I'm sure if the Pats did a lot of individual things differently, they might have one or two kore Super Bowls. The Pats have been to 5 Super Bowls and they all have come down to the wire and all but maybe the Eagles Super Bowl could have gone either way with one or two plays changing.

everything seems to have gone quiet on the brandon Lloyd front...good news for the pats maybe??

Obviously it is tough to gauge how to distribute credit, however all of the recent teams have been near the cap, so in order to have spent $$ on free agents they would have had to dump significant assets, it's not baseball they can't just spend more. But as others have pointed out, there isn't much of a history in recent years of perennially successful teams who build through high price free agents.
Looking at the 2000's four teams had more than 100 wins: Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Eagles. Of those none built mostly through big money FA. Patriots mostly through the draft and a balance of medium to low cost FA, Indy the draft mostly, Steelers mostly the draft, Philly was the closest as they did spend big on FA occasionally.

the problem with signing Lloyd NOW is the market got blown up like a helium balloon by the other WR signings yesterday...it's the WR market that is out of whack this free agency period and we know what THAT means in the Pats value based system...I wanted Lloyd since the subject came up last month but as it is, they look to be better served trying their hard luck with yet another draft pick...two ones, two twos...there has to be a receiver with speed and hopefully hands they can bring in and work in the system.

the problem with signing Lloyd NOW is the market got blown up like a helium balloon by the other WR signings yesterday...it's the WR market that is out of whack this free agency period and we know what THAT means in the Pats value based system...I wanted Lloyd since the subject came up last month but as it is, they look to be better served trying their hard luck with yet another draft pick...two ones, two twos...there has to be a receiver with speed and hopefully hands they can bring in and work in the system.

Bedard is suspicious if lloyd even went to visit the niners.

@GregABedard So has there been any tangible proof Brandon Lloyd is/has/was visiting the 49ers? Color me suspicious.

Bedard is suspicious if lloyd even went to visit the niners.

Then he followed it up with this, lol

Come on Condon, we all know there's no market for Lloyd and your client basically held up a "Will Work for Free" Patriots sign...give it up

In 2007, the Pats did what you suggested (Adalius Thomas THE top free agent and Moss and Welker were big acquisitions along with Stallworth) and they got no closer to winning the Super Bowl than this past season without chasing big name free agents.

One thing has nothing to do with the other, the relevant questions should be: would the team have done as well without those free agents in 07, and would the team have done better this year with more/better free agents?

I wanted Lloyd then and I want him now, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that he would have been more effective than Ocho, which would have improved our chances.

Can you do me a favor and please read what follows very slowly, carefully and try to understand it.

Not signing a big money FA does not mean choosing not to improve the talent on your team. It means choosing to improve MORE spots on the roster incrementally than one more substantially.
This one player makes the difference because one play makes the difference crap ignores that if you spend 15 mill on one player, you have less players in 5-10 other positions, who are making the exact blown plays you are talking about and failing to make the one play you are talking about.

We all get that you think a big name is the only way to show you care about winning, but you are just wrong. We aren't winning the SB by winning the public opinion poll of who was most aggressive in throwing cash blindly at Free Agents. The Jets, Redskins and Eagles can do that and be disappointed when the team hits the field.
I would much rather 'lose March' and build a solid, deep, versatile, consistent, quality football team that lacks deficiencies. Those are the ones that win on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes