PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unrestricted Free Agent WRs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, of course, all depends on what Edelman will re-sign for or even if he will re-sign. But off that list, I would take a look at: Boldin, Jacoby Jones, James Jones, Maclin*, Nicks*, Sanders, and Riley Cooper.

* = Assuming a return to previous health.

So we're already gonna give up on Boyce and Thompkins? Hard to imagine.

I don’t even think Thompkins will be on this team next season. He is this seasons Justin Francis a player that everyone became enamored and held him in the same class as Chandler Jones and talked about him overtaking Rob Ninkovich as the starter and then a year later he doesn’t even make the 53 man roster. Like Francis last year Thompkins entered as a mature hardworking player who played a position that was primarily youngsters or unknowns and his ability to learn quickly and work hard allowed him to be in the fold as a rookie. That is short lived though as was the case with Francis, Sterling Moore and others over the years eventually talent wins out and you saw that as Dobson overtook Thompkins as the season progressed. If Thompkins is with the team his ceiling at best is to be Jabar Gaffney, he does not have elite size, speed or athletic ability and he is not a great route runner, and his hands are suspect at times.

Dobson and Boyce (he is a freak athlete) have tons of promise both of them could be remarkable pros because they’re special talents but compared to other WRs Thompkins is not.

This thread is funny.

You would think J. Edelman is the second coming of Jerry Rice. He caught 100 plus passes because he is the "only guy" Brady could throw the ball to. He wouldn't start on more than half the teams in the league. If Brady had a real WR corp. Edelman would be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

and any half way decent free agent that is brought up is "to expensive"

Sometimes you have to pay for talent....duh.

If Brady has to play with a bunch of scrubs again next year I'm giving up on this freaking front office. Brady's confidence must be diminishing watching Manning throw to a bunch of big, fast wide outs.

You can forget about Decker. No way the Broncos are going to leave Manning high and dry. If you have a Ferrari you don't put ****ty tires on it. You put on the best money can by.

BB buys tires for Brady from the back of the building at the Mobile station. All bald and dry rotted.

Rant over
Keep in mind, Broncos are going to have to give both Thomas' new contracts soon as both are going to be entering contract years. Wes could be cut though. Not out of question that Decker could leave.

I have liked Cotchery for years. Damien Williams is someone I liked when he came out of USC a few years back and Hakeem Nicks is my pipe dream.

The pats have to make a move.

we need a wide out who can run?

Cotchery????

Attention Walmart shoppers. Bill Belichick is in aisle five.

Cotchery is a joke and if we sign him the BB has really lost it

I agree that we can AFFORD another high-priced wide receiver even if Edelman is re-signed. I just don't Belichick would do it. I suppose he might make another go at Sanders.

I think that if we re-sign Edelman, Belichick will be fine with starting with Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Collie, Harrison and Moe.

What we need is a tight end. There should be someone available in free agency at the price of a player like Sanders. I'd prefer the tight end.

I think that will be a popular thought, but we're making a lot of assumptions just the same. We have no idea what Belichick feels with any position's future, let alone WR.

The possibility exists that the could have Edelman for a 4.5--5m AAV, with a cap hit of around 2.5m for 2014. That would enable us to target another capable WR for sure, if Belichick wanted to.

And if Edelman is not retained, then we may see one/more WRs brought in. Hell, he could have an idea that this may be Amendola's last year here if he doesn't restructure for 2015, so the possibility exists that he'd overspend a bit more for 2014. I don't think we have any idea, only what the popular thought will spread around to make us believe.

Brady's confidence must be diminishing watching Manning throw to a bunch of big, fast wide outs.

You can forget about Decker. No way the Broncos are going to leave Manning high and dry. If you have a Ferrari you don't put ****ty tires on it. You put on the best money can by.

BB buys tires for Brady from the back of the building at the Mobile station. All bald and dry rotted.

Rant over

Yeah, you might want to consider that Decker, Thomas, and Thomas are all still on ROOKIE deals for this season.The Broncos brought Manning into an elite cost-controlled receiving corps, built through the draft. Demaryus Thomas was taken 22nd overall in 2010, with Decker taken in the 3rd Round that same year. Julius Thomas was taken in the 4th Round the next year. They got Welker, sure, and paid 6 million for a guy who gave them less production than Edelman gave us...and I doubt they're keeping him next year. Also, if you're coaching against Denver and you get to choose which of Manning's four primary targets has to sit out, you probably choose Welker last.

The big three were all developed by Denver - they weren't brought in as z-rated tires for Manning's sports car.

None of these guys was worth writing home about in their first couple of years, either:

Demaryus Thomas:
2010, started 2 games, played in 10 and caught 22 balls for 283 yards.*
2011, started 5 games, played in 11 and caught 32 balls for 551 yards.

* Remember, he was a first-rounder, taken 22nd overall!

Eric Decker:
2010, never started, played in 14 and caught 6 balls for 106 yards.
2011, started 13 games, played in all 16 and caught 44 balls for 612 yards.

Julius Thomas:
2011, started 1 game, played in 5 and caught one pass for 5 yards.
2012, never started, played in only 4 and caught...nothing.

And here we are, ready to throw Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce to the wind. I guess Pats fans really are spoiled.

Aaron Dobson:
2013, started 9 games, played in 12 and caught 37 balls for 519 yards.

Kembrell Thompkins:
2013, started 8 games, played in 12 and caught 32 balls for 466 yards.

Josh Boyce:
2013, started 3 games, played in 9 and caught 9 balls for 121 yards.

They all need to improve, but I think there's a good chance that Dobson could become the FA we'd be drooling for in a couple of years, and Thompkins as an FA in a couple of years would have many people on this board calling for us to sign him. As for Boyce, I agree with Brady6. With his physical gifts, he could be a Victor Cruz in a couple of years. nothing's guaranteed of course, but two times this year, I took note of Boyce and went, "Wow."

The first was at one of the late practices, 1-on-1's. The receivers were doing simple down-and-outs. When Boyce made that cut, he left any and every DB eating dust. His acceleration was out of this world.

The second was on the long TD he caught in preseason. Watch the replay: his adjustment and burst to get to that Mallet throw was remarkable. You can't teach that.

If they can't resign Edelman, I want them to go and grab someone like Manny Sanders to add some veteran depth on the outside. (I also noted Cotchery if someone gets hurt or there's room for some reason, because the guy will be had on the cheap. Despite the outrage at the suggestion on this thread, Cotchery is a strong and reliable red zone or possession receiver.)

If they keep Edelman, I don't know that they should add ANY other receivers, unless a Sanders could be had for a bargain, or there's someone they love high in the draft. They've got more pressing needs (TE, OL) and the only way to see if Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, or even Moe or Harrison can step up is to put them on the damned field and throw the ball at them!

Yeah, sure, if they can swing a deal for Fitz or A. Johnson or any player of that caliber, then hey, go to! I think you're all dreaming, though I'd love to be proven wrong. It's against everything BB has preached and practiced in assembling 13 straight winning seasons (next closest franchise has...4).

» Over the Cap- 2014 NFL Free Agent Wide Receivers

Name Team Prior APY
Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333

Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000
James Jones Packers $3,233,333
Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000

Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000
Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000

Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000

Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875

Eric Decker Broncos $828,788

Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000

Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000

Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000
Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870

Restricted Free Agent Wide Receivers: 2014

Name Team Prior APY

Doug Baldwin Seahawks $470,833

This is the first wave of UFAs I would target.

Boldin is exactly the type of receiver this team needs. A physical guy who shows up in the playoffs. But apparently he doesn't want to play here.

...I think that if we re-sign Edelman, Belichick will be fine with starting with Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Collie, Harrison and Moe...

I really really hope that Bill is not fine with that list, though I do agree - as I'm pretty sure
almost all of us do - that a studly new Move TE is an absolute must-have.

I agree with some of the posters that BB will not be bringing in any additional high priced receivers. They need to use any available money on other positions (OL, DL, CB, TE). Even if Edelman does not re-sign, Amendola and Collie can play slot. They have already invested a high draft pick on Dobson who has all the physical tools to be a top receiver. IF Dobson, Boyce, KT put in the work and make a second-year improvement AND stay healthy, they do not need anyone else IMO, especially with other positions of need.

Here is another one, although he is a TE, Jimmy Graham of the Saints. Talk about immediate impact. But, he has said he wants to stay in New Orleans, and my guess is he most likely will. But, if the Saints are not showing signs of giving him what he wants, the Pats may want to take a very close look. He would be the ultimate replacement for Mr Homicide.

EZ76

The league would step in and stop this, due to all the money they'd lose. Considering the other teams wouldn't even bother playing their games with Gronk and Graham on the same team.

Cotchery????

Attention Walmart shoppers. Bill Belichick is in aisle five.

Cotchery is entering his 11th year in the NFL. He's 6'1" 200 lbs and experienced. I'd bring him in at very little money to push the kids. If he's got something in the tank, he could be an asset.

what is the obsession with Decker? honestly I think he is a very soft player.

I expect some team is going to over-pay him next year to the tune of 8-10million like Miami did with Mike wallace. and then they will realise he only put up the numbers he did due to manning/all the weapons taking attention away from him.

How about Taylor Price? He should be cheap. :bricks:

Here is another one, although he is a TE, Jimmy Graham of the Saints. Talk about immediate impact. But, he has said he wants to stay in New Orleans, and my guess is he most likely will. But, if the Saints are not showing signs of giving him what he wants, the Pats may want to take a very close look. He would be the ultimate replacement for Mr Homicide.
Keep dreamin'

Jimmy Graham - New Orleans Saints - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Saints GM Mickey Loomis confirmed impending free agent Jimmy Graham will be franchise-tagged if the two sides can't agree to a long-term contract.

As expected. Graham isn't going anywhere. In addition to saying Graham will be tagged if need be, Loomis said the Saints will tag him as a tight end because "that's where he was drafted and that's what he is." Graham's camp may beg to differ. He played just one-third of his snaps as a traditional tight end in 2013. The difference between the tight-end tag and the receiver tag was $4.5 million last year. We could have a real contract dispute on our hands.

With bigger priorities being DT/NT, CB, and LB, yes, let's talk about a position we added 3 rookies to this year and have 3 more on IR/Futures who will be in Training camp next year... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back