PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unrestricted Free Agent WRs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the more likely route is to re-up Edelman and sign a few low cost, wiley vets to compete for a depth role, much like they have done with Gonzalez, Gaffney, Branch and others.

For that role, I nominate Jehrrico Cotchery. He's no game changer, but he has played consistently in Pittsburgh and is a good fit as a #4 possession receiver type. I could also see Santana Moss in that role, as he has been very versatile in his time in Washington.

That list doesn't have me salivating.

Hopefully there will be some interesting cap casualties to choose from.

1. Eric Decker
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Hakeem Nicks
4. Julian Edelman
5. Golden Tate
6. James Jones
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Andre Roberts
9. Emmanuel Sanders
10. Riley Cooper

I suspect that most of these will re-sign with their current teams.

Decker won't. He will end up getting a mike wallace contract becasue of his year he had. Watch...he is going to be 8-10 mill a year. And the team that gets him will see he is only a product of manning..that's it.

Just like MIA regretting giving wallace big $$ as he only runs a few routes average.

My choice would be either Decker, Jones or Sanders.

I don't expect Tom to be any more successful than he was last year.

There are two key differences:

(1) Edelman has seen what Welker and Amendola got; if he's as smart as he appears to be, he should have a better clue of what his value is.

(2) Edelman and Brady have the same agent.

After we re-sign Edelman, we will have no more money to spend on wide receivers.

On FA WRs, but that wouldn't preclude another receiver from the draft.

That's true. Somehow, I don't think that the patriots need yet another raw rookie.

On FA WRs, but that wouldn't preclude another receiver from the draft.

Come to think of it, given how p***ed off BB appears to be at Welker, he might re-sign Edelman out of spite. ;)

I'd be happy with either Maclin or Cooper (with a hair cut) from Philly, or Nicks. A dark horse for me is Britt, but he has some serious issues to work out.

The rest I could live without.

Come to think of it, given how p***ed off BB appears to be at Welker, he might re-sign Edelman out of spite. ;)
And if he wants to go all out, he can offer Edelman the same $10M/2yr contract that could go up to $16M/2yr in incentives :eek:

That's true. Somehow, I don't think that the patriots need yet another raw rookie.

I hear that.

Obviously, anything is possible, but I think we have our share of WRs who are hoping to continue to understand the system enough to produce on a regular basis.

Adding yet another would seem to be going all-out rebuilding style (although I suppose that could already be argued this year), instead of a hopeful blend of youth and experience. I see no reason to throw everything out the window and start over from scratch, and that's what adding yet another rookie WR would seem to indicate to me. Worse off, it would indicate a 2nd year in a row of that during Brady's last grouping of years here.

I'd be much more interested in drafting another TE, whose knowledge of the system and assignments can slowly grow over the year--much like we saw with Gronk/Hernandez in 2010.

After we re-sign Edelman, we will have no more money to spend on wide receivers.

I think that will be a popular thought, but we're making a lot of assumptions just the same. We have no idea what Belichick feels with any position's future, let alone WR.

The possibility exists that the could have Edelman for a 4.5--5m AAV, with a cap hit of around 2.5m for 2014. That would enable us to target another capable WR for sure, if Belichick wanted to.

And if Edelman is not retained, then we may see one/more WRs brought in. Hell, he could have an idea that this may be Amendola's last year here if he doesn't restructure for 2015, so the possibility exists that he'd overspend a bit more for 2014. I don't think we have any idea, only what the popular thought will spread around to make us believe.

The front office blew it when they didn't pony up the money for Reggie Wayne two years ago for Brady's stretch run.

He was here for a visit that off season....and the Pats lowballed him, and he went back to Indy.

The front office blew it when they didn't pony up the money for Reggie Wayne two years ago for Brady's stretch run.

He was here for a visit that off season....and the Pats lowballed him, and he went back to Indy.

How'd you manage to get in on the negotiations? Win a sweepstakes or something?

This thread is funny.

You would think J. Edelman is the second coming of Jerry Rice. He caught 100 plus passes because he is the "only guy" Brady could throw the ball to. He wouldn't start on more than half the teams in the league. If Brady had a real WR corp. Edelman would be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

and any half way decent free agent that is brought up is "to expensive"

Sometimes you have to pay for talent....duh.

If Brady has to play with a bunch of scrubs again next year I'm giving up on this freaking front office. Brady's confidence must be diminishing watching Manning throw to a bunch of big, fast wide outs.

You can forget about Decker. No way the Broncos are going to leave Manning high and dry. If you have a Ferrari you don't put ****ty tires on it. You put on the best money can by.

BB buys tires for Brady from the back of the building at the Mobile station. All bald and dry rotted.

Rant over

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back