PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Free Agent WRs - Who would you want the Pats to bring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that wide receiver is by far our most serious NEED, especially on offense. We have issues at RB and C. However, at least we have options on the team at these positions.

Given that no one expects us to honor Ochocinco's contract at the current level, we have our #5 wide receiver signed up for next year (Edelman). That's it.

We need a #1 wr, #2 wr, #3 wr and #6 wr/ster.

There are many plans. An obvious one is to re-sign Welker and Branch, to sign Lloyd and to draft a receiver in the 2nd round. That's actually quite a lot to do: 3 signings and a top draft choice.

Can the pats really afford both llyod and Colston? With resigning Welker and addressing the D and drafts?

That's not what the Saints faithful down on the Bayou sayin

Marques Colston wants a big contract to stay with the New Orleans Saints

We also prey he's right. We love Colston. Colston is what we hope for a player in NO. He fits us perfect. Elite, no mouth, showboat.
Many don't know Lance Moore was not liked down here for a while because he taunted , pointed, and danced in the end zone, and thats not something we respect. We can take it from other teams making fun of us, but its not proper to give it, in the old south.
Displays are NOT respected here, it embarrass us.
You are our boys, and we love you, and will support you no matter what.
Make your TD , hug , but never disrespect the other team, or you disrespect us. Horn learned that the hard way here. Colston is very respected here.

We are pretty sure Colston will not be with us, but god bless him. Just depend on who is smart enough to get a good man with elite abilities, and pay him. He's worth it. Colston is worth a 80 million contract for 7 years, but he will never see that, because we held him back.
Because of us he has to prove himself, and we are sorry for that, he's amazing, and can be so much more.

Last edited:
No, we cannot afford to sign Welker, Lloyd and Colston.

Can the pats really afford both llyod and Colston? With resigning Welker and addressing the D and drafts?

No, we cannot afford to sign Welker, Lloyd and Colston.

You can afford Welker and Colston. Thats all that matters or jackson, whatever you want

Last edited:
Jeffrey is a 6-4 230 lbs mammoth out of the SEC.

Jeffrey would be an absolute steal for anyone in the 2nd round, imho. I've watched him a fair amount over the last couple years, and he is the real deal. Not as ridiculous as Blackmon (nobody is), but certainly looks to have great potential.

WR1) Brandon Lloyd (UFA)
WR2) Wes Welker (resign)
WR3) Julius Edelman
WR4) Deion Branch (resign)
WR5) Rookie (2nd rounder)

With Gronk and Hernandez, this would be a very good WR corps if healthy.

The other option that people probably don't want to consider is not resigning Welker. If BB feels its Edelman's time to take over the slot, this might be more realistic than any of us realize. He showed a lot of Welker-like ability during his rookie year but hasn't really had many reps in games since then, although he did seem to get on the field at WR more often towards the end of the year. It'll be interesting to see what BB decides.

If you don't resign Welker, we might be able to make a move for Mario Williams while still resigning Branch and adding Lloyd and perhaps a guy like Meachem as well. I wouldn't expect any of those guys to break the bank so this might be feasible. In that case our WR's might look like this....

1) Brandon Lloyd (6'0")
2) Robert Meachem (6'2")
3) Julius Edelman (5'10")
4) Deion Branch (5'9")
5) Rookie

This is actually somewhat appealing to me. I like Welker but let's face it, that wasn't his first drop. Didn't he lead the league in drops last season? He drops quite a few easy ones, not that I think the SB miss was an easy one. I'd love to have him back but based on his productivity, I fear he isn't a very good value signing. In other words, his productivity in our offense surpasses his skill set. He's an overachiever. I think we can find other players to replace his productivity at a fraction of the cost. Hell, Edelman might even be able to do it himself.

You can afford Welker and Colston. Thats all that matters or jackson, whatever you want
The New England Patriots will sign Welker, Lloyd, and possibly a mid-level cornerback/free safety such as Richard Marshall (Fresno State alumni, Pat Hill former coach).

The New England Patriots will sign Welker, Lloyd, and possibly a mid-level cornerback/free safety such as Richard Marshall (Fresno State alumni, Pat Hill former coach).

yeah, thats what I'm hoping. BB has made some misfires with ocho, and other DL :), we hope many are gun shy and miss Colston, so we can give him a 5 year reasonable deal. Please pass

yeah, thats what I'm hoping. BB has made some misfires with ocho, and other DL :), we hope many are gun shy and miss Colston, so we can give him a 5 year reasonable deal. Please pass
I suspect Bill Belichick will sign someone in unrestricted free agency to shore up the defensive secondary. I can't imagine that Bill Belichick will only rely on 2012 NFL Draft picks to improve the pass defense.

Some might wonder how the quick, agile, football-smart Danny Woodhead would perform as a full time slot receiver.

I haven't mentioned him yet, but I'd be interested in Danny Amendola if the Rams' tender is low enough. I could see signing him off of a second round tender.

I haven't mentioned him yet, but I'd be interested in Danny Amendola if the Rams' tender is low enough. I could see signing him off of a second round tender.
I am not sure if he fits into the Pats system......wouldnt be a bad pickup though

In terms of FA wide receivers, I assume the Pats are allowed to meet with the receivers extensively enough to determine whether they can understand the offense?

Last edited:
I suspect it will boil down to Lloyd or Colston. Rest of the bunch, VJAX, MeShawn Jackson are not Patriot type players.

Both Lloyd and Colston are 29, so question will be who is best fit for the system. Somehow Brandon Lloyd does not strike fear on opposing Defenses. Now, Put a physical receiver like Colston out there at 6'4 220, combined with the two headed TE monster we have, and Welker

Ball park #'s
2011 : Welker was $2Mill, Ocho was 6Mill, Branch another 4Mill = 12mill
2012 : Welker 8mill, Ocho and Branch replaced cap savings approx 7mill

So, hit would be the contract we hand out to Colston, let's say 10mill/year. We have the cap room to make it work

I'm not sold on Lloyd. He basically had 1 great season, and 1 good year out of his 9 year career. Yes, he's played for crap QB's like Alex Smith, Orton, whoever in Washington and Chicago(Grossman?) but the total body of work will not warrant BB trusting him and giving him the big $$ contract, regardless he played for Josh

What is needed is a Colston type WR who can run the routes and our QB can trust, an proven deep threat that has done it year in year out, is a winner, and a perfect Patriot player in personality. Pair him with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and we are absolutely unstoppable machine. Draft another WR in Rd 2-4.

In terms of FA wide receivers, I assume the Pats are allowed to meet with the receivers extensively enough to determine whether they can understand the offense?

After the debacle that was Chad Johnson, one can only hope...

-Jamman

if they're going to spen d the $$ on anyone, I would like it to be someone like bowe

I suspect it will boil down to Lloyd or Colston. Rest of the bunch, VJAX, MeShawn Jackson are not Patriot type players.

Both Lloyd and Colston are 29, so question will be who is best fit for the system. Somehow Brandon Lloyd does not strike fear on opposing Defenses. Now, Put a physical receiver like Colston out there at 6'4 220, combined with the two headed TE monster we have, and Welker

Ball park #'s
2011 : Welker was $2Mill, Ocho was 6Mill, Branch another 4Mill = 12mill
2012 : Welker 8mill, Ocho and Branch replaced cap savings approx 7mill

So, hit would be the contract we hand out to Colston, let's say 10mill/year. We have the cap room to make it work

I'm not sold on Lloyd. He basically had 1 great season, and 1 good year out of his 9 year career. Yes, he's played for crap QB's like Alex Smith, Orton, whoever in Washington and Chicago(Grossman?) but the total body of work will not warrant BB trusting him and giving him the big $$ contract, regardless he played for Josh

What is needed is a Colston type WR who can run the routes and our QB can trust, an proven deep threat that has done it year in year out, is a winner, and a perfect Patriot player in personality. Pair him with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and we are absolutely unstoppable machine. Draft another WR in Rd 2-4.

Brandon Lloyd will be 31 by time the season starts Colston will be 29...i would take Marques Colston please...Brandon Lloyd is not as fast as Colston though he can jump like him. I want our WR a little bit younger than Brandon Lloyd.

After the debacle that was Chad Johnson, one can only hope...

-Jamman

Come to think of it, wasn't Galloway an FA receiver acquisition who couldn't grasp the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back