PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Free Agent WRs - Who would you want the Pats to bring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
VJax is not going to be cheap but he will be a game changer and a legitimate outside threat with great hands. Brady never had a target like him after Randy.

We can use the draft pick to shore up the defense and move on. Will our cap room allow for signing VJax and Wes? I don't know

Resign our own FAs and get Mario Williams. Anything else would be gravy on top as far as FA goes.

He is not a free agent, but might be released. But how about Jabar Gaffney. I think he is in the last year of his contract, he knows the Pats system and came here and had a good connection with Brady. Even if he does not get released, Id offer a 5th (unfortunalty we dont have one in 2012 or 2013) to the redskins for him. He's still productive, 133 catches over the past two season for Denver and Washington. How about Lloyd, Royal and/or Gaffney and a draft pick for off season pick ups.

Optimally, re-sign Welker and add Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. See ya later Branch and Ocho. D Jax is a circus act but he could fill our glaring lack of a dangerous returner as well as provide a legitimate deep threat. Garcon is another solid WR who must have a high football IQ after his days with Manning.

Realistically, I think we bring in Lloyd and take a chance on another WR in the draft, probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Optimally, re-sign Welker and add Desean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. See ya later Branch and Ocho. D Jax is a circus act but he could fill our glaring lack of a dangerous returner as well as provide a legitimate deep threat. Garcon is another solid WR who must have a high football IQ after his days with Manning.

Realistically, I think we bring in Lloyd and take a chance on another WR in the draft, probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DJack would drive BB out of Coaching no thanks to any premandona WR's.

Apparently the Patriots offensive playbook and how wide receivers are supposed to play is some combination of quantum physics, trigonometry, and biochemistry. Perfectly productive receivers (college and pro) have come to the Patriots and have not been able to play in this offense. Galloway, Gabriel, Donald Hayes (remember him?), Chad Johnson, Tate, Chad Jackson....the list goes on. What makes people think Colston, Meachem, Jackson, etc., will come to the Pats and maintain their levels of productivity? I'm beginning to think the wide receiver position for those that DO NOT PLAY THE SLOT PRIMARILY on the New England Patriots is some sort of black hole.

My dream scenario would be Vincent Jackson followed up by Marques Colston, but it's hard to see that as a possibility when they have to give Welker a new deal as well.

Brandon Lloyd is the best realistic option. Not the mega talent that Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston are and a little bit older, but that's exactly why he's probably more of a realistic option. While he'll get paid significantly, he likely won't see the massive pay day that Jackson and Colston are in line for. Throw in the fact that the Pats probably have a leg up on the competition with the McDaniels connection (and catching passes from Tom Brady's not a bad selling point either) as well as how well he knows the system and he makes a lot of sense.

Bring back Branch cheap as the 3rd WR and that's a hell of a group of WR's. Then they can turn the focus to the D.

I'd say Meachem or maybe a guy like Garcon if he's available. I really hope they don't overspend on a deep threat. Our offense is still going to revolve around the TE's and Welker we only need a deep threat to keep the defense honest. BB needs to (once again) try to bring a play maker or two into the front seven and try to upgrade FS

The guy we need to draft is Michael Floyd, 6'3 225 beast out of ND. Comes from pro system under Charlie Weis. kinda eerie how floyd looks much like David Givens, ofcourse with far more talent.

Will need to move ahead of Bears to get him.

Watch him at 4:08 just scare the **** out of the DB at LOS. LOL
make the move BB !!!!!!!

Michael Floyd Highlights 2011 [HD] - YouTube

The key is UFA, who on that list are UFA's ? If Vincent Jackson is an UFA, I say jump on him and Desean Jackson. This completely improves our offense (AND Special Teams with Desean). Pierre Garcon and Jerome Simpson might be some nice cheap alternates.

You aren't a fan of draft picks and cap space are you? :p Good luckw ith picking them both up.

They'll likely settle for Lloyd who wants to be with McDaniels providing he is willing to accept a decent salary (and I think his experience in St. Louis, although brief, humbled him). Then they'll hit the draft. you can grab a potential starter with this years draft class in round 3!

Sanu and Criner are my favourite targets of the rookies.

Last edited:
I'd say Meachem or maybe a guy like Garcon if he's available. I really hope they don't overspend on a deep threat. Our offense is still going to revolve around the TE's and Welker we only need a deep threat to keep the defense honest. BB needs to (once again) try to bring a play maker or two into the front seven and try to upgrade FS

The problem with allowing the offense to revolve around the tight ends is that when one of them is injured-- which has happened to Hernandez in both seasons, you're hamstrung. The offense goes cold.

We don't have any depth behind them, and even when we draft or sign a TE or two this off-season, can they do what Gronk and Hernandez do??

It was a nice story this year, they're great to have, but in order for any offense to stay potent and unpredictable you have to produce a wide receiver who can demand bracket coverage and beat man-to-man.

You have to be able to use the whole field.

Manningham???:bricks:

Manningham???:bricks:
I dont think Eli will want him to leave, after all Eli's WRs are the reason he is considered Elite (not by me though- I am with Kurt Warner when it comes to Eli not goin to HOF)

The key is UFA, who on that list are UFA's ? If Vincent Jackson is an UFA, I say jump on him and Desean Jackson. This completely improves our offense (AND Special Teams with Desean). Pierre Garcon and Jerome Simpson might be some nice cheap alternates.

I disagree on desean Jackson and Jerome Simpson. Desean is a major diva who gets upset easily. Jerome never played most of his career because he couldn't learn the playbook for YEARS , and he would be coming from the bengals

System.

I disagree on desean Jackson and Jerome Simpson. Desean is a major diva who gets upset easily. Jerome never played most of his career because he couldn't learn the playbook for YEARS , and he would be coming from the bengals

System.

Hilarious everyone here keeps talking about VJAX, Bowe, Desean Jackson, Lloyd, Manningham

The guy we need to go get is Marques Colston. The End !

Last edited:
Hilarious everyone here keeps talking about VJAX, Bowe, Desean Jackson, Lloyd, Manningham

The guy we need to go get is Marques Colston. The End !

I'd take Colston in a heartbeat. The dude is a beast! Lloyd & VJAX won't be bad either. I like Desean Jackson. But his diva attitude is another story.

I'd take Colston in a heartbeat. The dude is a beast! Lloyd & VJAX won't be bad either. I like Desean Jackson. But his diva attitude is another story.

criteria for WR:

#1 Must be at LEAST 6'0" (so a jump ball is possible).
#2 Must have good hands (ala: Calvin Johnson).
#3 Must be a vertical threat (can also go in middle).

Colston meets all 3. I'd sign him for 9mill/yr (ala: RandyMoss $$).
Our #1 receiver.

Brandon meets at least 2 criterias. I'd sign him for 5mill/yr. Our #2 receiver.

Keep Welker for 7mill/yr. #3 receiver.

Draft a WR (at least 6'4") as a project.

Forget Branch (too broken and old)...

Forget Ocho (useless waste of 6mill)...

610x.jpg

criteria for WR:

#1 Must be at LEAST 6'0" (so a jump ball is possible).
#2 Must have good hands (ala: Calvin Johnson).
#3 Must be a vertical threat (can also go in middle).

Colston meets all 3. I'd sign him for 9mill/yr (ala: RandyMoss $$).
Our #1 receiver.

Brandon meets at least 2 criterias. I'd sign him for 5mill/yr. Our #2 receiver.

Keep Welker for 7mill/yr. #3 receiver.

Draft a WR (at least 6'4") as a project.

Forget Branch (too broken and old)...

Forget Ocho (useless waste of 6mill)...

Sign Colston, and I would say Pats should make a move up the draft to go get Michael Floyd from ND. 6'3 225, and comes after 4 yrs at ND, of which 2 were under Charlie Weis.

Colston-Welker-Floyd-Gronk Hernandez

That's a lot invested in receivng corps, but that's the NFL today. Throw bunch of parts for RB(already have Ridley and Vereen pretty cheap). So, roll the dice for 4 year window Brady has left. Invest rest of the draft in drafting DL and DB's and LB's

This dude on youtube has good video on top WR prospects in '12 draft. Amazing to see how many 6'2 plus WR are coming. DB are going to look like smurfs, well they already kinda do.

Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Draft Prospects Rankings - Wide Receivers - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes