PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien to become coach of Houston Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumours abound that BoB is lining up Brian Ferentz (who IMO should have been promoted to OC, something which cost us his services) as his O-Line coach, and George Godsey as his OC.

Rumours abound that BoB is lining up Brian Ferentz (who IMO should have been promoted to OC, something which cost us his services) as his O-Line coach, and George Godsey as his OC.

Based on his fairly rapid rise though the Patriots coaching ranks, BB clearly though highly of him.

However suggesting that he should have been stack ranked higher than a proven, experienced commodity like JMD is a bit of a stretch.

Rumours abound that BoB is lining up Brian Ferentz (who IMO should have been promoted to OC, something which cost us his services).

sunny-mactip-6.gif

No. His dad, Kirk offering him a job is why he left.

"Once he had an idea of what he wanted to do, he reached out to me," said Brian Ferentz, 28. "It was a no-brainer. You can't say no to your father. And for me personally it was hard to say no to Iowa."

Kirk Ferentz said Wednesday that Patriots coach Bill Belichick wasn't upset at him for recruiting his son because "Bill's dad was a coach, so I think he fully understood the whole dynamics of the situation." Ferentz said it was important for Brian Ferentz's coaching aspirations that he left Iowa's program and learned from others, revealing he rejected his son's application for a graduate assistant job a few years ago.

Brian Ferentz says father Kirk, not Iowa Hawkeyes' AD, hired him - ESPN

Good to see Romeo Crennel back in the league with OB. Love Romeo.
Funny how everyone talks about the Lions as a team that's loaded.
Look at the Texans and the number of playmakers they have on both sides of the ball. Get a veteran QB who can manage the game, trade down to get more picks (will still be able to draft a big time future QB farther down in 1st round) to add quality depth and the Texans will be in the playoffs next year.

"Hey dad, the offer is great....but Bill has offered me the OC job".

Nothing surfaced about the Iowa job until after the Superbowl. McDaniels rejoined us just after the new year whilst O'Brien interviewed with PSU around the same time. If BB says "thanks, but no thanks" to McKid and tells Ferentz he's next in line, then he doesn't leave.

Nothing surfaced about the Iowa job until after the Superbowl. McDaniels rejoined us just after the new year whilst O'Brien interviewed with PSU around the same time. If BB says "thanks, but no thanks" to McKid and tells Ferentz he's next in line, then he doesn't leave.

If it was an actual choice between McDaniels and Ferentz, BB made the right choice. I don't see an issue here.

There was no way Ferentz was ready to call plays for this offense. Absolutely hilarious if you think Belichick should have went with Ferentz over McDaniels

Good for Romeo Crennel, great coach. They have the right players for him too, tough press corners, good blitzers. Also happy for O'Brien. Led the Patriot offense during back to back 14-2 seasons, one Superbowl appearance near win, and also spearheaded the innovative 2-TE system along with getting talent in Ridley and Vereen.

I think Ferentz is a future OC, but he wasn't ready yet then. He is my top choice to replace Scarnecchia as the OL coach whenever he retires, though. Looks like Ferentz may still be under contract with the Texans when that happens, unfortunately.

Who else thinks that the Texans would trade the #1 pick for a number of other picks? Are they planning on releasing Schaub or planning on keeping him as a backup for a year?

Who else thinks that the Texans would trade the #1 pick for a number of other picks? Are they planning on releasing Schaub or planning on keeping him as a backup for a year?

Schaub is owned a crazy amt of money in 2014. BOB will have to make a call on two thinks...

1) Can Schaub run BOBs updated Erhardt/Perkins offense.
2) If he can, that'll determine if they try to renegotiate his deal, if at all.

Not sure about the #1 pick. Tough call. All depends how much BOB thinks the top QBs coming out are worth the pick.

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 1m
Per @Gil_Brandt, Bill O'Brien to hire ex-Pats TE coach Brian Ferentz as Houston OL coach. Brandt also expects HOU to make play for Mallett.

Finally?!?! :eek: :D

Finally?!?! :eek: :D

The one good thing about BOB going to Houston and possibly McDaniels going to Cleveland, the Pats may have trading partners for Mallet and potentially even a minor bidding war.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Reports from Ohio State say former Patriots OLB Mike Vrabel will be part of Bill O'Brien's first Texans staff.

Good for Vrabes. Wonder if he'll be a DC or a position coach.

I would imagine a LBs coach for now.

O'Brien is kind of a hothead. It'll be interesting to see how he does down there.

O'Brien is kind of a hothead. It'll be interesting to see how he does down there.

The thing to keep in mind is that O'Brien was only at PSU for 2 years. Heck, if Charlie had decided to leave ND after he wen't 9-2 and 10-2 he would have been considered a great prospect. I don't think we have any idea what kind of coach he will be in the long run.

The thing about Belichick is that he has performed at this level for over 12 years. That is almost unthinkable. I think all coaches can have a good year or even two. But very, very few can do it for the length of time that Belichick has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes