PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick - The Anti-Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grantland copy editor/headline writer doesn't know the difference between "Antichrist" and "anarchist". Pierce used the latter throughout the piece. Nowhere in there does he say "Antichrist".

Must get their editing chops from the guy on the masthead.

Good catch. I was looking for that in the piece also. I do know that headlines are mostly separate from the articles authors, so you think it was supposed to be titled anarchist?

Another good mention for this article WOULD have been how BB was forced to wear NFL gear and, as a protest, elected to go with a dumpy sweatshirt and cut off the sleeves.

:confused: I don't think he cares enough to "protest" wearing NFL gear or has gone to any pains to be deliberately contrived about it. What he wears is what he's comfortable in. He cuts the sleeves off because they're too long for him.

Good catch. I was looking for that in the piece also. I do know that headlines are mostly separate from the articles authors, so you think it was supposed to be titled anarchist?

I had the same thought but then I allowed that the Editor might have been a Sex Pistols fan.

Re: Bill Belichick

Whenever an idiot like Ed Reed starts a media storm (hurting his own team) by saying something boneheaded, I say a silent thanks for having Belichick as HC of the NEP.

This is what you get — incredibly disciplined players, talking like automatons, but playing in a system in which almost anything is likely to happen on the field, as well as in a system that will gleefully exploit every misplaced comma in the NFL rulebook, which the NFL richly deserves to have happen to it. This has been the great conundrum of the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick — a kind of blessedly refreshing football anarchy explained by its practitioners in stale terms that run the gamut from prosaic to sullen and back again. To concentrate on the latter is to miss the sheer artistry of the former. Bill Belichick, the last NFL anarchist, the Lord of Misrule, gets to tee it up this weekend against Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens. Corporate partners can be found hiding under the bed, where most of them damned well belong.

1128140_700b.jpg

On a separate note, a little more on Bill Belichick:

Television Networks Told Robert Kraft Not to Hire Bill Belichick - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Now I know the media doesn't like him, but isn't that going a bit overboard?

Network executives telling Kraft to not hire him? WTF do they know about football, or who would or would not make a good coach?

Even the television networks told Patriots owner Robert Kraft to avoid hiring Bill Belichick.

Though it all sounds ridiculous now, Kraft took some heat for hiring Belichick as head coach in 2000. Belichick was wildly unpopular in Cleveland for benching and later releasing legendary quarterback Bernie Kosar. And Belichick made some enemies in New York after bailing on the Jets job, just days before taking the helm in New England.

But for Kraft to take heat from the heads of networks? That's just wild.

"I think he had a history at Cleveland," Kraft said Friday. "His first year with us, he went 5-11, and then he went 1-3 [to start 2001], so he was 6-14, and I had people sending me tapes of him doing press conferences, and heads of networks telling me I shouldn't hire him. But what I had learned is that this guy really knew the game. I think Bill's brilliance is understanding what fits for our team."

Grantland copy editor/headline writer doesn't know the difference between "Antichrist" and "anarchist". Pierce used the latter throughout the piece. Nowhere in there does he say "Antichrist".

Must get their editing chops from the guy on the masthead.

Excellent catch, I missed that earlier. My understanding is that editors and not the writers typically make up the headline titles. Re-reading the piece now and "Bill Belichick the Anarchist" makes much more sense than "Bill Belichick the Antichrist" does. Next question would be, was it an innocent oversight or a deliberate attempt to attract readers? I would think Pierce would have brought it to someone's attention and had the title edited if it was a mistake.

:confused: I don't think he cares enough to "protest" wearing NFL gear or has gone to any pains to be deliberately contrived about it. What he wears is what he's comfortable in. He cuts the sleeves off because they're too long for him.

If I remember correctly, he did get in trouble once because in answer to a press conference query, he said he would like to emulate his boyhood hero, Coach Paul Brown, and wear a suit and tie and maybe a fedora as a Head Coach.

But the NFL quickly squashed that when it said he had to wear NFL approved clothes, and they currently did not have a suit and tie maker, who had forked over the fee, and signed on as: "The Official suit maker to the NFL", or some such G-A-R-B-A-G-E...;););)

On a separate note, a little more on Bill Belichick:

Television Networks Told Robert Kraft Not to Hire Bill Belichick - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Now I know the media doesn't like him, but isn't that going a bit overboard?

Network executives telling Kraft to not hire him? WTF do they know about football, or who would or would not make a good coach?

There it is. The smoking gun, not that we needed it.

The network mediots despise BB. Always have. That he could not care less what these career suck ups think of him infuriates them even more.

It's another sign of Kraft's business acumen that he did not let the chattering classes cloud his personal assessment and that he once again demonstrated the courage of his well informed convictions.

"I am an antichrist, I am an anarchist."

Great read.

I've always had the US Civil War on the list of things that fascinate me, and this isn't the first time I've seen similiarities between some of BB's philisophies and those of Stonewall Jackson, who famously said:

Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible.

(Tomorrow is Jackson's birthday.)

Just as long as BB doesn't start staring into space sucking on a lemon during games...

Heh. Anti-Christ.

That ties in nicely with my fantasy of Ray and Ed
whining about the evil Pats running up the score this week.

Pierce wrote a good book on the Pats, worth checking out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye