PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick - The Anti-Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bill Belichick

Isn't the objective of an offense to disguise your play, whether it's run or pass? Why not disguise a punt? I swear everyone else in the NFL is just jealous that they didn't think of it first.

They thought it was rubbing it in. And they were also furious that Brady was still in to do it.

I would call and say something but there is literally no point.

Anyone that b!tches about that 3rd down punt needs to toughen up. This is football for cripes sake!

Go become a curling fan or something. Seriously.

High school classmate. He was, and evidently still is, a "package." Great writer.

I remember him from way back (haven't lived in the area for twenty years) and remember thinking he could be huge if he'd eases up on the politics a bit. I tilt slightly left, but he managed to seem radical despite working for the alternative paper in the most liberal area in the US.

Nothing wrong with that, just thought it limited him in the political writing sphere.

I remember him from way back (haven't lived in the area for twenty years) and remember thinking he could be huge if he'd eases up on the politics a bit. I tilt slightly left, but he managed to seem radical despite working for the alternative paper in the most liberal area in the US.

Nothing wrong with that, just thought it limited him in the political writing sphere.

It's better to be right than popular.

When the punt took place I thought BB did it because he's anal when it comes to preparing his players for every and all future situations and this was the perfect time to practice the play ..... in a real game atmosphere, with nary a worry that if the play backfired, then the consequence of doing so wouldn't be much of an issue.

When the punt took place I thought BB did it because he's anal when it comes to preparing his players for every and all future situations and this was the perfect time to practice the play ..... in a real game atmosphere, with nary a worry that if the play backfired, then the consequence of doing so wouldn't be much of an issue.

Another example of situational football, and something for future opponents to have to plan for/thnk about.

Great article on ESPN by Charles Pierce! One of the best I've ever read on our beloved BB.

Learning to Love the Antichrist

"This is what you get — incredibly disciplined players, talking like automatons, but playing in a system in which almost anything is likely to happen on the field, as well as in a system that will gleefully exploit every misplaced comma in the NFL rulebook, which the NFL richly deserves to have happen to it."

Charles P. Pierce on the New England Patriots and Denver Broncos divisional playoff game - Grantland

I especially loved the quote in bold!

P.S. I looked for a thread on this and didn't see one....guess I didn't look hard enough! ;)

Last edited:
Kept the new thread title, good merger;)

Grantland copy editor/headline writer doesn't know the difference between "Antichrist" and "anarchist". Pierce used the latter throughout the piece. Nowhere in there does he say "Antichrist".

Must get their editing chops from the guy on the masthead.

I thought this part was notable:

And his use of Hernandez as a running back shouldn't surprise anyone who remembers that this is the coach who turned wide receiver Troy Brown into a defensive back, a move he duplicated this season with Julian Edelman, and that this is also the coach who used to employ defensive lineman Richard Seymour as a running back in his goal-line offense, a move that went badly wrong when Seymour suffered a severe leg injury that compromised his effectiveness for the rest of the time he was with New England.

I didn't realize it was that severe and affected him that badly. Interesting.

You must have Deus blocked

IIRC, he was being used as a blocking fullback on a goal line play, and the RB rolled up on the back of his knee. That injury was what caused him to miss the first half of 2007, and play the second half of the year on one leg, essentially. Definitely a bummer, but football is football and injuries happen. You can't gameplan around the possibility that someone might get hurt, IMO.

IIRC, he was being used as a blocking fullback on a goal line play, and the RB rolled up on the back of his knee. That injury was what caused him to miss the first half of 2007, and play the second half of the year on one leg, essentially. Definitely a bummer, but football is football and injuries happen. You can't gameplan around the possibility that someone might get hurt, IMO.
That's the way I remember it as well.

Though Vrabel as goal line TE has to be a personal favorite.

Last edited:
Another good mention for this article WOULD have been how BB was forced to wear NFL gear and, as a protest, elected to go with a dumpy sweatshirt and cut off the sleeves.

I also think the camera stuff was another one of his attempts to exploit the loop holes to force the NFL to address the issue or else allow him to have the advantage... of course, that one backfired. Then he comes out and destroys all comers the following year (except for the SB - whoops!).

His game-playing with the injury report is another classic example.

I think he revels in d!ck!ng with people and thumbing his nose at the "dumb rules" while coming off as this bland, boring, non-sound bite coach. Even his digs at people are so subtle that they are usually missed.

Last edited:

Some talking head fool on the radio down here called Belichick an "awful person" in terms of his sports life because of the third down punt. Seriously. I guess only we get to truly enjoy how awesome the Patriots are when it comes to creativity.

You know what that "fool down there" ought to realize is that BB was TRYING THAT SH#T out in case he needed to pull it off in a game that really MATTERED!!! No offense to the donks but obviously the game was put away by then.....would that jacka## rather that BB kept driving his team down the field and SCORE again???? Some of these sore ***ed losers in the media....even this small market douche bag.....need to STFU......

The reason the Pats gave the ball to the Broncos
on third down was....they were better at killing
the clock then we were.:D

You know what that "fool down there" ought to realize is that BB was TRYING THAT SH#T out in case he needed to pull it off in a game that really MATTERED!!! No offense to the donks but obviously the game was put away by then.....would that jacka## rather that BB kept driving his team down the field and SCORE again???? Some of these sore ***ed losers in the media....even this small market douche bag.....need to (Please be quiet - edited)......

And it was a way to kill a lot of time and not get anyone hurt, of course a fight ensued but I dont think that was part of the plan.
People from other teams love to hate BB and always put a weird twist on things to advance their point, doesnt matter whether its reality of not because it usually isnt.

And it was a way to kill a lot of time and not get anyone hurt, of course a fight ensued but I dont think that was part of the plan.
People from other teams love to hate BB and always put a weird twist on things to advance their point, doesnt matter whether its reality of not because it usually isnt.
It does appear to be one sided and always directed as hate towards the Patriot organization. Then again, I'm more prone to hear it. for example, people are saying the Pats are classless/running up thescore on the Bronco's.

But, nobody mentions how many times the Saints have had a victory by more than 3 scores as well (probably happened 4 to 6 times this season). Why were the Bronco's still takingtime outs near the end of the game if they thoughtthey were out of it. did Brady try to pad his stats by trying to get that 7th Post Season touchdown in a game. NOPE!

I take it as a compliment to be so hated because we win. No matter what people will find that one thing to harp on no matter if it's completely ficticious or doesn't matter. Does it really matter if you win by 1 point or 30? They still only award you 1 game victory either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft