PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest thing that sticks out about the Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, players arrested:
jags 7
pats 0
so, they have it all over us there.

Good analysis. But it gets close with players suspended after violating the NFL's substance-abuse. It's 1-1, and anyone's ball game.:rocker:

one thing people like to forget: jags are like the second highest scoring team the second half of this season.....so they have some kinda way to score

Bullit stop it the Jags have no Offense.

Since i only care about winning, the biggest thing that sticks out to me is they have a real quick small running back in Drew who might be able to turn short passes into big runs.

They have to get big plays IMO and crappy WRs or not, we're not going to allow long passes and we need to be solid against the run.

5-10 yard passes with no YAC, OK. Drew running around like Addai, not OK.

I can't see listing all the ways we are better as that doesn't address the hows and whys they could pull off what would be a huge upset.

If we contain the big pass and the run, I can see us allowing some short passes, then putting the clamps on like Pitt did.

Those interceptions by Garrard were two of the worst I have ever seen in post season.

Last edited:
I think there is a good argument that the Jags have the worst receiving corps in the NFL, but its not even up for discusion that its the worst still playing.

Don't know the WR's that well but Garrard is completing 64%! of his passes.
That's pretty good to some no names.
That's better than Tom Brady did in every year of his career other than this year!
His average passing yds per play is 7.5 better than all but 3 years of Tom's career.
His INT to TD ratio is better than all but one of Tom's years.

I don't know his receivers that well but they got to be doing something
good for those kind of stats.

JAGs will move the ball. They will be able to run it and pass it. They
will score TDs they will get points we just hope PATs O will score more.
But anything can happen against a good team like the JAGs.

My thoughts on the game....

This game will be an almost exact replica of the NE Pittsburgh game earlier this season. The only difference is that Jacksonville's O will mount a better second half effort, making the final score a bit closer: 34-20.

The Jags aren't built to come back from a big lead, but they can run the ball and run the ball well. Taylor is a good power running back, MJD is a suprisingly quick powerful return man/ running back. Their strategy will be trying to dominate the clock with their offense and play keep away. I think the game will be closer than most think.

If the Pats offense starts sluggish, like they did against Indy, and the Jags get 2 clock consuming drives that end in td's to start the game, I could see a tough game.

The crowd has to stay in it. Brady will hopefully stay true to form and keep the chains moving early to tire out the Jags D, and give our D time to rest.

I don't expect the Pats to come out flat, with the experience those guys have. I might be slightly concerned that some of the new guys could have jitters at first, and that might lead to some uncharacteristic drops.

I am worried about Garrard acting as the RB if our D appears stout against their regular RBs. Hopefully we don't allow that much and he also understands that if he gets hurt in the process, he might jeopardize their team more than what he might gain by running.

After first recognizing that we have put huge points up against better defenses throughout this season, and realizing that for the Jags to advance they must beat the highest scoring team in NFL history, its obvious to conclude they are going to have to score points. They are going to have to keep pace, and likely come back from a deficit.
The most striking thing that stands out is if they have to throw the ball WHO DO THEY HAVE TO THROW IT TO.
I think there is a good argument that the Jags have the worst receiving corps in the NFL, but its not even up for discusion that its the worst still playing.

Yes - nicely put. That all makes logical sense.

Here's my take. For a team to beat the Patriots they need to take a VERY AGRESSIVE STANCE against them, on both sides of the ball.

We have seen more than a few teams play WAY above their head this season and have come close to beating us. The Jags would not be the first mediocre offense to score nearly enough points on us this season to keep it competitive.

Yet at the end of the day I can't see Del Rio turning his team into a throwing team. His gut will tell him to let his team do what it does best - and that's to run the football.

If he falls behind that might not be enough - but strategicall I'm not sure he'll abandon that to throw, even if they are down by three TDs or more.

Here's my take...

There is one certainty in this game, and that's that the Patriots can, and doubtless will, score. Especially with that defensive backfield, they could threaten to score at will...

Therefore, to defeat this Patriots team, there is going to be only one option available - the Jaguars' offense must roll through this Patriots' defense at a clip that is at least as efficient as the Pats' offense.

If this cannot be done, there is only one inescapable conclusion - lights out.

Now, I know the Jags have an offense that can score, but it clearly remains to be seen if they can do it as well (at the least) as the Patriots can.

It's often been said that this Patriots team can beat you any number of ways, and that maxim will be thoroughly demonstrated tomorrow night.

Tomorrow morning, let's all over to the "Pick The Score" thread and make life interesting, shall we?

The biggest thing that sticks out about the jags is Paul Spicers BIG focking mouth!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents